Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnSand

Tip the keg?

On my first batch I left the LBK level to avoid trub. Bottling my second batch tonight. Does anyone tip it to get more beer out? I think I only filled 7 liters last time.

I do it and label the bottles the trub bottles. You will get trub in them if you tip the LBK. However, trub does settle out either in conditioning or cold crashing.

Thank you both. There is also some white stuff on top, not foam. Is that normal? Should I skim it?

The foam probably is just some yeasties that didn't quit or sink to the bottom. Just bottle things, the yeast will eventually settle out.

I just set a pair of dykes (wire cutters), opened, under the back of the keg. It raises it up just enough to get everything that is clean and I have not pulled off any trub that way, but I do get darned near 8 full liters. Also after I set it like that I let it set for an hour or so in case I stirred anything up and it settles it back down. Just my method.

"mjbearit" post=348340 said:

I just set a pair of dykes (wire cutters), opened, under the back of the keg. It raises it up just enough to get everything that is clean and I have not pulled off any trub that way, but I do get darned near 8 full liters. Also after I set it like that I let it set for an hour or so in case I stirred anything up and it settles it back down. Just my method.

Whatever works! :cheers:

Two words in response to tipping the keg...if it has produced a good batch of brew, I usually tip it $5, if not, I stiff it! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

"T8r Salad" post=348350 said:

Two words in response to tipping the keg...if it has produced a good batch of brew, I usually tip it $5, if not, I stiff it! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I like it
i spilled my beer laughing @ this you owe me :laugh:

"mjbearit" post=348340 said:

When I tried to do it with a pair of dykes they beat the snot out of me.

Everybody is a comedian! :)
In fact, I tried putting two CD cases under. Then I tipped it up some by hand and... aaaak! It fell over! And spilled beer! ON THE KITCHEN FLOOR! (My wife didn't hear, shhhhh) I recovered, wiped up the beer, and continued bottling. Whew, you guys almost never heard from me again!

John,

Seriously, I always tip the LBK away from the spigot during the entire 3 weeks of fermenting. I started out using a CD case, but ended up moving to a slightly thicker block of wood for a little more slant and much more stability. When I bottle, I carry the LBK with the block and set it down in the same position. As the level of the beer gets even with the spigot, I ever so gently remove the block of wood to make the LBK level and keep it flowing. As it gets below the spigot again, I ever so gently place the block of wood on the opposite end to keep the flow going. I actually have to slide it closer to the spigot end, ever so gently, of course, in order to get all the beer out. I usually end up leaving a very small amount of liquid in the LBK with the trub layer.

Thanks to the fact that I cold crash it for at least a few days just before bottling, hardly a drop of that trub gets stirred up into the bottles, since it's very compact. There's still trub in the bottles after conditioning, due to what was still suspended in the beer inside the LBK that hadn't already fell into the trub layer before bottling, along with the priming sugar effect.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Hope it helps you a little.