Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nol1rxr

conditioning

#1 when the 3 week firmintation in the lbk is complete do i have to prime and bottle to condition are can i rack into a cleaned 2nd container to condition and then prime and bottle. #2 does the 2nd container need to be dark? #3 do ihave to use brown plastic bottles are can i reuse cleaned and sanitized 16-20 oz clear plastic sode bottles?

Brown helps to keep light out. If you're using clear bottles, make darned sure you keep them in a dark place.

As far as conditioning, priming is part of that.

i'm not getting mush input tonight is there no one there are does no one care to help tonight. i have gotten good input in the past. did i ask the wrong questions? i am still new to this.

like daustin627 said priming is part of conditioning. if you want to rack to a secondary do that on like week 2 but it is an unnecessary step if you want clearer beer then just cold crash the LBK 3 days prior to bottling that will allow a lot of the yeast in suspension to drop out but still leave enough for carbonation.

what about the bottles as long as they ar kept in the in a room with no sunlight until going in to the fridge.

ok im new but will help to the best of my ability

1. after 3 weeks in the fermentor it should be ready to bottle
2.prime bottles or rack to a bottle bucket and batch prime, then bottle
3. if you use clear bottles keep them out of the light, only reuse bottles that have had carbonated beverage in them before

would a reused rootbeer bottle be a better choice? i hate to invest in new bottles until i know i am going to stick with this fo more than a couple mounths.

use what ya got as long as its a bottle or container that has been used for carbonated beverages before. dark containers are best.

"roadx" post=348404 said:

ok im new but will help to the best of my ability

1. after 3 weeks in the fermentor it should be ready to bottle
2.prime bottles or rack to a bottle bucket and batch prime, then bottle
3. if you use clear bottles keep them out of the light, only reuse bottles that have had carbonated beverage in them before

Any bottles, keep out of the sun or any light at all, especally clear or green ones. Brown ones aren't safe just safer. Any bottle that held a carbonated beverage should work fine just check the threads for damage.

"nol1rxr" post=348405 said:

would a reused rootbeer bottle be a better choice? i hate to invest in new bottles until i know i am going to stick with this fo more than a couple mounths.

I've not used root beer bottles, but I understand that. if you do, clean/rinse them in COLD water. Apparently, if you use hot water to clean them, the root beer smell/flavor bonds to the plastic and you cannot get rid of it.

1. Ferment 3 weeks. 65*F is a very good temperature to do this.
2. Transfer to bottles. Your choice to bottle prime or batch prime. The amount of sugar that the MB instructions say to use will give you some pretty fizzy beer.
3. Let the bottles sit in a dark place at 70*F for 4 weeks.
4. Chill a couple of bottles for 2-3 days.

Must be a slow night. Saturdays are when most brewers take a night off from brewing and make mad love with their wives. At least that's what my wife told me. I'm a little wore out now, but I'll try to do my best with your questions. I'll try to be quick and finish before my wife comes back for round two. She's downstairs making a sandwich to build up my strength again.

Clear bottles let UV light in and that 'skunks' the beer, and you don't want that. You should put clear bottles in a cardboard box or similar container until ready to drink, or at least in a dark closet. I do that for all my beer, even in the dark bottles. It's just a good habit to get into, I figure.

I like to use A&W Root Ber bottles. I think they look more like beer bottles than any other plastic soda bottle. Make sure you rinse them out good with cool to slightly warm water. Hot water will 'set' in the flavor and odor of the root beer. I like to soak mine in cool water overnight, then empty and rinse and dry them. I get the root beer when it's on sale, of course.

I also use 8 ounce, 12 ounce and one liter soda bottles that I get on sale and treat the same way. I know what you mean about not wanting to buy a bunch of bottles until you're sure the hobby will stick. I did the same thing. The hobby is sticking, I have tons of plastic soda bottles, and I still haven't bought a bottle straight out yet. Okay, I did buy a few used Tap-A-Draft bottles, but that's a another whole story.

I see what you're saying about conditioning it first in a secondary fermenter before bottling, and I imagine there would be some conditioning going on. However, there's a lot of conditioning that is still needed AFTER the carbonation takes place, so I still think the full 30 days in the bottle is a good rule, for sure. The bubbles slowly get smaller and finer as they are absorbed into the liquid, and give you a smoother beer. I wouldn't try to bypass that stage.

Gotta go. Here she comes now.

I went to my local beer distributor, and he gave me a case of Sam Adams empties for the 5c deposits. He also asked me to bring back a homebrew.

Joe C, I read your post to my wife, now she wants to get busy too!

my wife went to sleep because i am still awake and the fact i am sipping my 4th sniffer on burbon-beer not ready yet. some of us arent lucky enough for the wife to want 1st letalone 2nds.the a&w bottles sounds like a plan,i drink that often. thanks for the info on not washing with hot water that is what i would have used to clean before sanitizing.

"JohnSand" post=348426 said:

I went to my local beer distributor, and he gave me a case of Sam Adams empties for the 5c deposits. He also asked me to bring back a homebrew.

Joe C, I read your post to my wife, now she wants to get busy too!

i just buy mine 12 at a time and they come with free beer.