Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thebiz3434

Pumpkin Spice

So I want to make a pumpkin spice beer. I have all the ingredients from the MRB site. The only thing i have no idea about is mulling spices. What is to be used for that. Thanks

Guest System Admin

Mulling spices in general are made of ginger, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.

I'd limit the total amount used to 1 teaspoon.

"thebiz3434" post=348714 said:

So I want to make a pumpkin spice beer. I have all the ingredients from the MRB site. The only thing i have no idea about is mulling spices. What is to be used for that. Thanks

I just made a Pumpkin Ale, came out, here is what i added to my recipe:

Nutmeg ½ tsp
Cinnamon 1 tsp
Brown Sugar ½ cupl
Organic Pumpkin 7 oz

All this was mixed and boiled in water to kill any nasty stuff, then it was added right to the fermentation keg.

I then created an additional spice and pumpkin muslin bag combining:

1/8 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
7 oz of organic pumpkin

Which i added to the keg so it would seep out as well, i didn't want a hugely strong pumpkin taste and this came out just right, it also helped to keep a ton of particles of pumpkin being in the beer.

This recipe came out awesome...4.2% ABV was right where i expected it to be...

normal_IMG_0084.JPG

So you mixed a whole can of pumpkin in it and boiled the pumpkin with the HME. Is that too much pumpkin. Also the spices did you use the ground spices or whole...

"rdrivas" post=348736 said:

"thebiz3434" post=348714 said:

I just made a Pumpkin Ale, came out, here is what i added to my recipe:

Nutmeg ½ tsp
Cinnamon 1 tsp
Brown Sugar ½ cupl
Organic Pumpkin 7 oz

All this was mixed and boiled in water to kill any nasty stuff, then it was added right to the fermentation keg.

I then created an additional spice and pumpkin muslin bag combining:

1/8 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cinnamon
7 oz of organic pumpkin

Which i added to the keg so it would seep out as well, i didn't want a hugely strong pumpkin taste and this came out just right, it also helped to keep a ton of particles of pumpkin being in the beer.

This recipe came out awesome...4.2% ABV was right where i expected it to be...

normal_IMG_0084.JPG

that looks good!

"thebiz3434" post=348762 said:

So you mixed a whole can of pumpkin in it and boiled the pumpkin with the HME. Is that too much pumpkin. Also the spices did you use the ground spices or whole...

I used a whole can, 7oz boiled and poured in the keg direct, 7oz in a muslin sack, which meant not as much got in the batch.

I used ground spices, which is why i boiled them all just in case.

Not too much pumpkin at all honestly, its very mild.

I also pitched in an extra package of yeast...this was an accident, but i think with all the brown sugar and pumpkin it helped to keep things on track..

"rdrivas" post=348778 said:

I used a whole can, 7oz boiled and poured in the keg direct, 7oz in a muslin sack, which meant not as much got in the batch.

I also pitched in an extra package of yeast...this was an accident, but i think with all the brown sugar and pumpkin it helped to keep things on track..

another guy told me to add 1/4 tsp of pumpkin spice per bottle when priming. haven't tried it yet but i intend to brew a batch for turkey day, just fyi.

"thebiz3434" post=348802 said:

I dont have any extra yeast... you think 1 package will be ok.

I would back off how much brown sugar you use if you intend to use on packet of yeast...

That would make it like Shipyard Pumpkin, which I am not a fan of.
Also, i would imagine that you should adjust your priming sugar amount if you are adding any brown sugar...

"Jim Johnson" post=348782 said:

"rdrivas" post=348778 said:

another guy told me to add 1/4 tsp of pumpkin spice per bottle when priming. haven't tried it yet but i intend to brew a batch for turkey day, just fyi.

"rdrivas" post=348808 said:

I would back off how much brown sugar you use if you intend to use on packet of yeast...

why not prime with the brown sugar?

"Jim Johnson" post=348813 said:

You can use the brown sugar, but you would measure it like regular sugar and not corn sugar, as brown sugar and white sugar are essentially the same except for molasses.

i think if you made a lighter beer the brown sugar taste would come through and affect the way the beer tasted, in a darker beer it may not matter...

"rdrivas" post=348841 said:

"Jim Johnson" post=348813 said:

You can use the brown sugar, but you would measure it like regular sugar and not corn sugar, as brown sugar and white sugar are essentially the same except for molasses.

i think if you made a lighter beer the brown sugar taste would come through and affect the way the beer tasted, in a darker beer it may not matter...

i think dark brown sugar might impart a hint of maple. i intend to try it on the thanksgiving pumpkin/maple ale i have planned.