Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjbearit

Step 4 close the valve!

Well I finally did it! Over the past couple of days I bottled the two kegs and my new shipment has not arrived, and, hating to have nothing fermenting at all, I pulled out a Pale Ale I had received when I bought my second kit. I got side tracked this morning and you know the step that say something like "Fill with water to the 4 qt level"? Yeah, well just before you do that part, make sure you remembered to turn the dang valve back to the off position! LOL! I guess the counter and floor needed a good cleaning! It's always the little things that come back to bite ya! So, I have the Patriot Lager and the St Patrick's Stout both bottled and aging gracefully, and now another pale ale started.
Also, just as a suggestion, the booster is really a pain in the rear to dissolve with a whisk. This time I sanitized my immersion blender (stick blender) and used that and it was a piece of cake. I also used that to aerate the wort. Works much better than using a wire whisk, just don't touch the plastic with the blender if you try this! The blender will win!

"mjbearit" post=348746 said:

Well I finally did it! Over the past couple of days I bottled the two kegs and my new shipment has not arrived, and, hating to have nothing fermenting at all, I pulled out a Pale Ale I had received when I bought my second kit. I got side tracked this morning and you know the step that say something like "Fill with water to the 4 qt level"? Yeah, well just before you do that part, make sure you remembered to turn the dang valve back to the off position! LOL! I guess the counter and floor needed a good cleaning! It's always the little things that come back to bite ya! So, I have the Patriot Lager and the St Patrick's Stout both bottled and aging gracefully, and now another pale ale started.
Also, just as a suggestion, the booster is really a pain in the rear to dissolve with a whisk. This time I sanitized my immersion blender (stick blender) and used that and it was a piece of cake. I also used that to aerate the wort. Works much better than using a wire whisk, just don't touch the plastic with the blender if you try this! The blender will win!

i have a question. i've never used the booster but, why not mix the booster with say a cup of wort before adding to lbk? hel* put it in the blender, bet that'd mix it. (sanatizing the blender first of course)

Jim, the booster goes into the making of the wort. According to the instructions for the Pale Ale (the only thing I have received booster with) you put 4 cups (from memory here, don't shoot me if measurements are wrong) of water in a big pan (4 qt? 2 qt? whatever) and you slowly pour in the booster whisking to dissolve. Well if anyone has tried this you know it does not dissolve like one would believe. I was thinking it was plastic shavings or something as much as it did not want to dissolve, but once you dissolve it all, bring it to a boil remove from heat then add your can of HME. II know there are all kinds of shortcuts and such, but since someone at Mr Beer actually went to the trouble of figuring this out and kitting it up, as long as I am using their kits I figure I might as well follow their directions...well....except the 3-4 thing! :laugh:

Yep, only water, but it took me awhile to discover it (the sound of water pouring onto the floor alerted me) so the counter and floor were pools of water! Got it cleaned up well before better half got home. Told her anyway, after all, the Pale Ale is for her... not my bag! I like something with a bit more....more.

[attachment=12024]bike_2013-03-10.gif[/attachment]

Go ahead, I can take the laughter. I'm just trying to save someone else from going so far as to pouring their hot wort into non-existent cold water! Now THAT would be a mess!

"mjbearit" post=348790 said:

Yep, only water, but it took me awhile to discover it (the sound of water pouring onto the floor alerted me) so the counter and floor were pools of water! Got it cleaned up well before better half got home. Told her anyway, after all, the Pale Ale is for her... not my bag! I like something with a bit more....more.

i keep my spigots over the sink for just such an emergancy. makes SWMBO happy

"mjbearit" post=348811 said:

Go ahead, I can take the laughter. I'm just trying to save someone else from going so far as to pouring their hot wort into non-existent cold water! Now THAT would be a mess!

Sorry, pic'd wrong icon, not laughing at you. We appriciate your story, might save someone else from having a wet floor. :cheers: :cheers:

No big deal, I'm not offended. I have such thick skin I have to carry around a copy of my last EKG to prove to some people I do indeed have a heart! LOL!