Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevenf

question about bottling wand

So my first batch is still in the LBK on day 8 now. It's clearing nicely but still have some foam on top and still some bubbling. I see on the MR. Beer website that they sell a bottling wand. Seems like it would be a good thing to fill the bottles from the bottom up. Can I just use a piece of vinyl hose for this or maybe a really big straw? Or is there something really special about the wand they sell. Hope that's not a stupid question. Thanks

They have a spring loaded shut off in the bottom so you don't have to keep opening and closing the valve. With a hose or straw it will be hard to not oxigenate your beer which at this point is not a good idea. Best to just get a wand or slowly down the side of the bottle.

with the bottling wand you don't keep turning the spigot on and off it's spring loaded closes when you remove it from the bottom

+1. Wand was one of the best purchases I made. It's great for filling bottles and, with a several foot piece of hose, great for transferring from an LBK to a priming bucket/slimline/empty LBK. Had I realized the second use, I would not have yet purchased a siphon.

I love my bottling wand! I bottle over the dishwasher with the door open.

The hardest part to build would be some sort of spring loaded valve system at the end of the tube. I can't think of anything that might work for that.

"Rucka203" post=349177 said:

is there a way to build one?

For how little this costs, your efforts would be better spent elsewhere

"RickBeer" post=349199 said:

+1, I like to build things too, but I would see no reason to try and build one but you really should have one.

"berryman" post=349203 said:

+1, I like to build things too, but I would see no reason to try and build one but you really should have one.

well we don't know what you do for a living. if you've got a machine shop at your disposal then yes you can build one, but i don't see how in a back yard shop. it's gonna cost more to do than to buy.

"Jim Johnson" post=349206 said:

"berryman" post=349203 said:

well we don't know what you do for a living. if you've got a machine shop at your disposal then yes you can build one, but i don't see how in a back yard shop. it's gonna cost more to do than to buy.

Yes that's what I was thinking too. If you have a lathe you could build one out of stainless and that would be cool, still just better off buying one and use it.

It's something I have thought about, since I don't have a LHBS close by. Trying to come up with some DIY homebrewing stuff. I often run into more problems than I can solve, and paying for shipping is better than those headaches sometimes.

The one I got from my LHBS is a gravity/pressure controlled one and works very nicely. It cost around $4 and about a $1 for 3 feet of tubing.

"brewin bull" post=349356 said:

The one I got from my LHBS is a gravity/pressure controlled one and works very nicely. It cost around $4 and about a $1 for 3 feet of tubing.

+1. Cheap. I have 3. I use 1 for siphoning from the lbks to my batch priming vessel, 1 to fill bottles, and 1 because I forgot I already had 2.

"khawk95" post=349395 said:

"brewin bull" post=349356 said:

+1. Cheap. I have 3. I use 1 for siphoning from the lbks to my batch priming vessel, 1 to fill bottles, and 1 because I forgot I already had 2.

:laugh: senior moment?