Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chaz_WV

Fruit Brews

I am not having much luck with brewing beers that involve adding fruit. I have tried Pumpkin Lager and Raspberry Wheat, although drinkable, I have not been overly impressed with the results. I am thinking of using extract's from now on instead of fruit. any thoughts, or help? Thank You.

I have never used extracts because I have read they tend to lend an "artificial" flavor.

BTW; Welcome to the forum!!! :chug:

Hi and welcome here

i just bottled my Raspberry Wheat, i thought it looked and tasted fine not over powering , just a hint of raspberry.
When did you add the fruit ?
i added mine a week into fermentation
That seems to be what everyone on here suggest

Guest System Admin

add fruit at the start and the yeast will eat every possible sugar they can, leaving at best a hint of a whiff of a trace of fruit flavor.

one solution... half the fruit at the start and when fermentation slows in a couple days, add the rest.

another solution... wait till fermentation is about done, place the fruit in a secondary fermenter, and rack on top of it.

My best cherry wheat so far for me was by doing this:

2 cans at primary
1 can at 10 days
Bottled on day 18

Wait at least 2 months before sampling one.

:chug:

"packerduf" post=349581 said:

I have never used extracts because I have read they tend to lend an "artificial" flavor.

BTW; Welcome to the forum!!! :chug:

+1
I have used flavorings (they are usually not true extracts), and don't like them at all.

i made a batch aztec beer and use can blackberry i put my fruit in my wort in the begining of the fermemtation and turned out great. the longer i let it condition the better but it didnt taste the way i thought it wood.but very good.

I just finished conditioning the Dark Forest Sout and it is delicious. My first attempt at a fruit beer I put the fruit in at the beginning of the fermentation. Turned out ok. I probably wouldn't have made another until I read on this forum to wait a week and then add the fruit, results second time much better. Wife liked it, and she's very picky about her beer so it must be good. :banana: