Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BigFloyd

Austin Homebrew Anniversary batch kits

FYI- Austin Homebrew Supply just recently put several 5-gallon batch kits (your choice of extract, mini-mash or all-grain) on sale for $22.99. Yeast is, of course, extra. I think the sale prices run to the end of March.

I took delivery yesterday of a mini-mash Maibock kit and an extract ESB to brew plus some 1968 ESB yeast. Both fermenter buckets are full right now (Choc. Stout and Amber), so it may be a little while.

Thanks for the heads up. I just got my 5-gallon kit to compliment my LBKs.

Big: I have been pondering this sale since I received that email...they are good prices for all types of brewing levels. They will split into 2.5 batches for LBK's as well, great customer service in my book.

Thanks Big

I ordered the mini mash IPA kit from that sale and requested it be split into 2.5 gallon batches. Supposed to arrive Thursday, looking forward to trying them!

I saw this and decided to pass. I don't want to pee on them but I've found Midwest and NB to have much better kits though I've only made 2 beers for AHS.....guess I should give them another shot.

I have heard that their clones are pretty good and I've never done any of those.

"Beer-lord" post=349910 said:

I saw this and decided to pass. I don't want to pee on them but I've found Midwest and NB to have much better kits though I've only made 2 beers for AHS.....guess I should give them another shot.
I have heard that their clones are pretty good and I've never done any of those.

Can't beat it for the price with the anniversary kits minus the yeast, though. The Fat Tyre clone was pretty spot on in my book that I got from them...waiting for 2nd batch to bottle condition out later this month.

I haven't had any problems with AHS kits. As a matter of fact I buy their Budget Pale Ale regularly and have made this my House Beer.

It's likely me that's the problem. I just find many of the kits somewhat lacking in a nice malt backbone. But I prefer heavier beers.
Their Anniversary IPA looks pretty good. The price is very good. I may have to give a kit or two a try.

"Beer-lord" post=349960 said:

It's likely me that's the problem. I just find many of the kits somewhat lacking in a nice malt backbone. But I prefer heavier beers.

The OG of the ones I ordered are 1.060 (Maibock) and 1.052 (ESB). That's pretty much the gravity range of most of what I've done so far and should have a respectable malt backbone.

This was my first order from them. If these turn out nicely, one of my friends at work has recently gotten into brewing. I infected him with the "brewing bug". He goes to Austin about every 3-6 weeks and can pick up whatever I order online the day or two before. B)

I ordered the Anniversary IPA and will give that a try. I have so much grain and hops at home, I really should use that first but I'll get this kit at a great price, unmilled and brew it in the near future.

It's been a while since I ordered from AHS but I ordered a kit and a few other things 2 days ago and it's still in order processing. Normally they ship the same day or next day.
I can only guess that they are busy with the sale.......anyone else order any kits and are experiencing the same thing?
And, it's not a big deal, just curious since I normally get fast service and even and email telling me the order was placed. This time, no reply at all.

Yes Beerlord, that is usually the case with my orders shipped to AZ where they usually go out same day if I order early enough or next day when ordered later in the day, and now that we are 2 hours behind them, I see next day shipping in my crystal ball. And I spoke with them and they said they are extremely busy with this sale. Good luck and I hope it turns out like you hope and expect. They have always treated me more than fair with good customer service whether on the phone or in person when I am in the area of Austin.

:cheers:

Beer-Lord, my order was the same way and figured because of the sale. I live in Illinois and I placed my order last Friday the 8th and it was delivered today! Looking forward to giving the IPA a try!

Thanks for the updates.
I've got no beef with them and like them even if I wasn't blown away by their kits. I'm thinking the anniversary IPA will be my best from them but I'll likely add hops to it.

And, as a small business owner, I know patience is required and I certainly don't want to be come 'one of my customers' to someone else. It was simply me being curious.

"Beer-lord" post=350807 said:

Thanks for the updates.
I've got no beef with them and like them even if I wasn't blown away by their kits. I'm thinking the anniversary IPA will be my best from them but I'll likely add hops to it.

And, as a small business owner, I know patience is required and I certainly don't want to be come 'one of my customers' to someone else. It was simply me being curious.

[attachment=12122]DuckLaffing.jpg[/attachment]

The lady that I spoke with a week ago said they were working overtime milling grains and putting together the anniversary batch kits. With the good prices, I expect they got hammered.

I screwed up on my order but it's not a biggie though it did cost me. I started the order at work (that was the problem) and finished it when I got home. I ALWAYS order grain and no yeast and I obviously took all the defaults so now I've got the extract kit with yeast and a cold pack and am spending $33 instead of $23.

No biggie really as it'll make good beer and I guess I've saved myself 2 hours with no mash needed. Actually, since extract kits are more expensive, I likely got a better deal but I do prefer all grain batches.

This is a lesson I need to learn.....not to order things online UNLESS I have time for it. And that means, not at work!

"Beer-lord" post=352452 said:

I screwed up on my order but it's not a biggie though it did cost me. I started the order at work (that was the problem) and finished it when I got home. I ALWAYS order grain and no yeast and I obviously took all the defaults so now I've got the extract kit with yeast and a cold pack and am spending $33 instead of $23.

No biggie really as it'll make good beer and I guess I've saved myself 2 hours with no mash needed. Actually, since extract kits are more expensive, I likely got a better deal but I do prefer all grain batches.

This is a lesson I need to learn.....not to order things online UNLESS I have time for it. And that means, not at work!

Paul,
I would imagine you could still call on the phone and catch the order in time to change it, if you really wanted to. I would at least try. Or not. LOL.

It's being delivered today but it's not a big deal and as I've said, I can match a quick batch of beer that still tastes great.