Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beer Bandit

Beer Knockoffs!!!

I'm still trying to get my feet wet with my kit. I need so me tips on how or what beer refills I need to make a knockoff or better version of:

1.) Bud Light Lime
2.) Corona
3.) Heineken
4.) MGD
5.) Bud (Maybe)

or some suggestions of your favorite beer recipes.

"Beer Bandit" post=349853 said:

I'm still trying to get my feet wet with my kit. I need so me tips on how or what beer refills I need to make a knockoff or better version of:

1.) Bud Light Lime
2.) Corona
3.) Heineken
4.) MGD
5.) Bud (Maybe)

#1 = piss in a bottle add lime
#2 = piss in a bottle add more lime
#3 = not sure what to piss in
#4 = all of your friends piss in a bottle
#5 = turn on tap water (maybe?)

All those beers are lagers. The majority of them are light lagers, among the hardest of beers to make well. Mr. Beer does make some extracts to mimic them, but they will be ales, and have some yeast derived flavors.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1118/nm/Classic_American_Light_Deluxe_Refill_/section/flavor_profile

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1131/nm/Aztec_Mexican_Cerveza_Deluxe_Refill_

"oly" post=349865 said:

All those beers are lagers. The majority of them are light lagers, among the hardest of beers to make well. Mr. Beer does make some extracts to mimic them, but they will be ales, and have some yeast derived flavors.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1118/nm/Classic_American_Light_Deluxe_Refill_/section/flavor_profile

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1131/nm/Aztec_Mexican_Cerveza_Deluxe_Refill_

You nailed it.

"T8r Salad" post=349856 said:

1.) Bud Light Lime
2.) Corona
3.) Heineken
4.) MGD
5.) Bud (Maybe)

That looks pretty accurate

Oly beat me too it, those are all lagers and pretty damn hard to make well.
The reason AFAIK is there is little room for error since the yeast is so clean, it lets your mistakes take center stage.

As much as I dislike the taste of those beers, I respect their level of consistency.

As far as getting some lime in your beer I'd say add some lime juice at bottling, probably don't need much at all really. Better to use less than more and end up with unpalatable beer.

It would be easiest if you batch primed, then you could just throw the lime juice in the bottling bucket.

+1 to oly.

Also, don't forget Bud waters down their beers. They also use cheap grain additives like rice which further dilute the flavor profile. I don't drink any of those beers and haven't tried the MB Classic American Light, but that might be the closest you are going to get, but like oly said, it is an ale.

1.) Bud Light Lime
2.) Corona
3.) Heineken
4.) MGD
5.) Bud (Maybe)

+1 million!!!!

If u want a piss imitation, it's cheaper to just buy it. IF u want great beer, keep on brewing.

@ T8r Salad & JohnDubya Thanks...I like your response. So in other words...I got a Mr. Beer kit for a reason. Thanks again guys!!! :laugh:

PLEASE don't stone and burn me fellas....I'm still learning. I vow to never make that mistake again. I promise to only drink and brew, true good quality home brew. Please forgive me for my ignorance!!! :pound: :S

"Beer Bandit" post=349891 said:

PLEASE don't stone and burn me fellas....I'm still learning. I vow to never make that mistake again. I promise to only drink and brew, true good quality home brew. Please forgive me for my ignorance!!! :pound: :S

LOL

Hey man, drink what you enjoy!
Don't let people stop you from drinking your beer of choice!

But I believe, as most others here probably do, you may experience a paradigm shift if you've never had a nice ale. I know I did....I didn't know what beer could actually be.

I'd recommend finding a local liquor store with a nice craft beer selection, and usually they will let you mix 6 bottles into one six pack. Depends on where you live though, but keep an open mind and try some different kinds of beers.

You might be a Russian Imperial Stout lover, you might be a huge hophead, or you might stick to your light lagers. Who knows, you could fall in love with sour beers!

"jivex5k" post=349902 said:

LOL

Hey man, drink what you enjoy!
Don't let people stop you from drinking your beer of choice!

But I believe, as most others here probably do, you may experience a paradigm shift if you've never had a nice ale. I know I did....I didn't know what beer could actually be.

I'd recommend finding a local liquor store with a nice craft beer selection, and usually they will let you mix 6 bottles into one six pack. Depends on where you live though, but keep an open mind and try some different kinds of beers.

You might be a Russian Imperial Stout lover, you might be a huge hophead, or you might stick to your light lagers. Who knows, you could fall in love with sour beers!

Now ain't that the truth. I used to hate hoppy brews now I love them.

This all the way. For #3 have a skunk pee in the bottle.

"jivex5k" post=349902 said:

Boy are you right about that. I used to be a Miller High Life guy....now I can't get enough of a good pale ale or even an IPA. And I now love to try new styles that I've never had before.

I did have an advantage in knowing what good beer is. My relatives in Germany would send some over and bring some when they came to visit. Gotta love them for that :cheers:

"haerbob3" post=349913 said:

I did have an advantage in knowing what good beer is. My relatives in Germany would send some over and bring some when they came to visit. Gotta love them for that :cheers:

2nd dat to great German beers. I was so pissed off when my daughter came back to the states to live. I lived for 2 vacays a year in Germany (on base not on the economy).
I was a Silver Bullet lover until January 2011...Now I am a big fan of whatever 2nd Base Brewery produces and what that little Italian gent produces in Texas = JoeC.

BeerBandit: fire away any questions and when you start drinking your brewskis, let us know what you think, good & bad! Good Luck our new found brewer friend!!!

:cheers:

I used to drink pretty good beer for the most part. Since I started making my own I am much more aware of the different things that contribute to the taste and quality of the brew. I am even starting to think I can tell the difference between some of the varieties of hops.

I wont buy any of those beers but I will tell you ill drink them if they are free!!!!! :cheers:

Hey, Bud, Corona, Miller, Heinekin may not be what the majority of us would want to clone, but let's not disparage someone else's taste in beer lest we become beer snobs instead of beer geeks, okay, guys?**

To the OP: The advice given by Oly is good. You're not going to get a true lager out of Mr. Beer ingredients, and even if you used lager yeast, unless you can control the temperature during fermentation, it's not going to come out right. That being said, and again, as pointed out, some of the refills do have similar profiles to the beers you're attempting to clone.

My advice would be to make some of the refills as-is to get to know what they're like, and how close they are to what you're looking for. You may discover different styles that you like, which is always a good thing. And in the meantime, you'll be learning a lot about beer and how to brew it, and eventually you may be able to approximate these beers if you're still interested.

Welcome to a great hobby/obsession!

**Beer geek = someone who cares about the beer he drinks.
Beer snob = someone who cares about the beer YOU drink.

Ah, well, I haven't completely given up drinking BMC, but I never buy it, and I don't like it. If it's GIVEN to me at a party or family dinner, I will drink a little bit just to remind me of one reason why I brew. As my paradigm shifted, I risked forgetting how much better my beer really is. I'm used to good beer now but most of the world isn't.

1.) Bud Light Lime
2.) Corona
3.) Heineken
4.) MGD
5.) Bud (Maybe)

I actually like bud light limes and the brown bottle heinekens you can get in Europe. Also I went to the Heineken factory in Amsterdam and tue Heineken on tap was amazing. The only beer on the list I definitely want buy is MGD. Keep in mind I'm new to brewing(brewed 4 batches only tasted 1 so far) and may share your same sentiment towards mass produced brew in the future.

Well, you're learning quickly, so that's a point in your favor. ;) Homebrewing is for making GOOD beer. If you want pisswater, it's cheaper to buy it. But once you start drinking your awesome homebrew, you're not gonna want pisswater anymore.

Oh, and hey, WELCOME! B) You're gonna like this place.

"alb" post=350198 said:

Ah, well, I haven't completely given up drinking BMC, but I never buy it, and I don't like it. If it's GIVEN to me at a party or family dinner, I will drink a little bit just to remind me of one reason why I brew. As my paradigm shifted, I risked forgetting how much better my beer really is. I'm used to good beer now but most of the world isn't.

Yep. This. I have never bought BMC in my life, but a lot of running races serve it as the post-race free beer, and I don't turn down free beer. Especially after a hard run. But man, after a couple of bland MGD's or Bud Lights, I can't wait to get back to drinking beer with flavor.

Beer Bandit,

As a reminder since you're new, don't forget to forget the MR Beer instructions.

For the best results, it's 3 weeks in the fermenter (at 64-68*f), and 4 weeks in the bottles at room temps for carbonation and conditioning. The "In two weeks, you'll have beer" is a marketing ploy. Technically you'll have beer, but it will be green beer.

Trust me from a noob that knows from experience, the wait is well worth it!!!!

In life, patience is a virtue, in home brewing, it's a necessity!

Welcome to the obsession!