Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
maverick

Energy Beer?

Ive seen how one can make a "Mountain Brew" a kolsch made with Mountain Dew. Im wondering if one can make a Monster Energy or Rockstar beer in the same similar fashion? Next question, with all the controversy about "energy beers" is this legal to homebrew? Without being able to sell it, or hand it out (here we cannot legally leave our homes with our homebrew to give to friends) I dont really see the problem with such experiments.....Thoughts?

"FedoraDave" post=349993 said:

"maverick" post=349987 said:

Thoughts?

Ew.

Double ew. But what the heck, give it a try and see how it comes out. Who knows? :cheers:

Mountain brew??????
Monster brew???????
Rockstar beer??????

Names are cool but just don't sound good to me.

Ive seen how one can make a "Mountain Brew" a kolsch made with Mountain Dew. Im wondering if one can make a Monster Energy or Rockstar beer in the same similar fashion? Next question, with all the controversy about "energy beers" is this legal to homebrew? Without being able to sell it, or hand it out (here we cannot legally leave our homes with our homebrew to give to friends) I dont really see the problem with such experiments.....Thoughts?

I say go for it, and report back. Doesn't sound too good to me, but to each their own. As far as legalities............ I do what I want in my own home.
:chug: Good Luck and happy brewing and buzzing on the energy brewing :chug:

sounds good to me
if you figure it out, i'll try and batch

and whats so ew about malt liquor aka energy drinks?? :think:

my wife loves her four and wine :party:

[attachment=12082]vomiting_2013-03-12.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=12083]godzilla-facepalm-_2013-03-12.jpg[/attachment]

Are we talking about beer(malt liquor?) that also has a soda/energy drink taste to it or just a beer with caffeine in it?

"roadx" post=350045 said:

I am still curious as to why? I believe most people have a drink to relax or refresh a bit.

Alcohol is a depressant wouldn't adding a energy aspect to it be contrary to the alcohol effects? I am not trying to dissuade you from it I am just trying to understand the point.

Ive seen how one can make a "Mountain Brew" a kolsch made with Mountain Dew.

Whatever that makes, it is not a Kolsch

"Back in the day," before I became old and boring, a Sparx or two was a great way to "pre game" before an evening out on the town.

Mountain Brew intrigues me. Most of the sweetness in the Mountain Dew will ferment out, so if you made a pale ale with some citrus flavored hops to compliment the Dew, you might have something drinkable.

I won't be trying it anytime soon, but I don't think it's a ridiculous idea at all.

In the documentary "Beer Wars", a woman who was second in command at Sam Adams split from that company and started her own micro because she had the brainstorm to brew a caffeinated beer, the premise of which was to counteract the depressive effects of the alcohol and keep you partying (and/or drunk) all night long. Don't know how successful she was in marketing her idea. Sounds gimmicky to me, and since I don't drink to get drunk, if the beer doesn't taste good, I'm not going to drink it anyway. If I want caffeine, I'll have a cup of coffee.

Hey, remember the "Simpsons" episode where they go to New York City to retrieve Homer's car, and he meets a pushcart vendor, and the guy tells him he only sells Mountain Dew and crab juice, and Homer says, "Eeewww, yuck! I'll have the crab juice!"

That's sorta my reaction to Mountain Dew, also.

Having said all this, you can do whatever you want with your beer. If you're happy with the beer you made, you did it right.

"brewin bull" post=350156 said:

"roadx" post=350045 said:

I am still curious as to why? I believe most people have a drink to relax or refresh a bit.

Alcohol is a depressant wouldn't adding a energy aspect to it be contrary to the alcohol effects? I am not trying to dissuade you from it I am just trying to understand the point.

This is my question too. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Well, that's an oxymoron!" Alcohol is a depressant, and caffeine is a stimulant, so the net effect would be, well, NOTHING. Okay, not really... you'd be buzzed and bouncing off the walls at the same time. Which really doesn't sound very appealing to me, but hey, to each his/her own.

I say give it a try, if it's something that interests you. Let us know how it turns out! B)

"evily" post=350266 said:

This is my question too. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Well, that's an oxymoron!" Alcohol is a depressant, and caffeine is a stimulant, so the net effect would be, well, NOTHING. Okay, not really... you'd be buzzed and bouncing off the walls at the same time. Which really doesn't sound very appealing to me, but hey, to each his/her own.

I say give it a try, if it's something that interests you. Let us know how it turns out! B)

Probably the same effect as Red Bull Vodka drinks which are very delicious. :gulp:

Well Mountain Brew was featured in BYO: http://byo.com/light-ale/item/1167-mountain-brew

No reason you couldn't substitute some other caffeinated beverage, but who knows what all those chemicals will end up tasting like.

Personally, I'd just get some caffeine powder and throw it in at the bottling phase, but what the hell man whip up a 1 gallon batch and go wild if you want.

I used to drink Sparks which originally caffeine, one of the first alcoholic beverages to do so. Its other original active ingredients included taurine, ginseng and guarana, common to energy drinks.
So to get that kind of taste I'd recommend making a very light base beer and adding those special herbs.