Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewerjason

Trying to advance

I recently looked at a local brewing supply for brewing stuff but all their stuff is for 5 gallon brew kits I was wondering if their stuff would be compatable with the mr. beer brewing system I have 2 brew kegs

Many other Borg members do split 5 gallon batches into 2 LBKs. You can get 2.5 gallons out of the LBK by filling to the top of the "Q".

Just make sure you don't try this with a High OG brew because you'll need the head space.

"JimH" post=350403 said:

Many other Borg members do split 5 gallon batches into 2 LBKs. You can get 2.5 gallons out of the LBK by filling to the top of the "Q".

"JonV1027" post=350404 said:

Just make sure you don't try this with a High OG brew because you'll need the head space.

+1 to both of these.

Definitely able to split a 5-gallon between two LBKs and get really good results. You can even use two different yeast strains in the two batches to determine the different results from the different yeasts.

If its an extract recipe you can even scale it down using a program such as BeerSmith to only make 2.5 gallons of it.

Ok I have read insructions to use their extracts and it says to boil it in 2.5 gallons of water would I just make the whole thing and put some water in my lbks and pour half of my wort mixture in each one?

I haven't ever done this, but I would think you could brew according to directions. Start with 1 gallon in each LBK, then split the wort evenly. How? I don't have a great answer for that. I would guess that the 1 gallon in the LBK plus 1.25 gallons (2.5 boiled/2) would but you real close to the 8.5 quart mark (2.13 gallons)(I know, my math doesn't quite add up). Then top off to the top of the "Q". Perhaps someone who has actually done this can give a better answer.

What type of kit is it? If it is DME you could just split the ingredients into 2 batches.