Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
WesleyWett

3 batches in!

I have bottled my 3rd batch (American Light, API IPA and Heavy McWhee) and I have 4 more on the way! I have poked around the forums getting some tips and tricks to a better finished product. I must say this has become my newest addiction! I am now in the midst of designing a 'Brew Room'!

A question about the in-active yeast in the bottom of the LBK. I notice that as I get to the end of the bottling process the in-active yeast mud ends up transferring into the bottles, resulting in a layer in the bottom of the bottles. Can (or should you) filter that out?

Don't filter, you'll aerate the beer, leading to a soggy cardboard taste. Either stop before the sediment (called trub) enters the bottle, or mark that bottle and use it as your taster to see if the batch has finished carbonating and conditioning. Also, if you bottle carb, you'll develop trub anyhow, so a bit more won't hurt anything. When you finally put that bottle in the fridge (after 4 weeks minimum @room temp) you'll find it settles out and sticks to the bottom of the bottle. As long as you do a single smooth pour into a glass and don't drink from the bottle, you shouldn't get much if any in the glass.

And by the way, welcome to the borg!

Guest System Admin

Unfiltered beer with trub in the bottom are what makes home brew home brew.

Just stick them in the firdge for at least 3 days to compact the trub and then carefully pour leving some in tyhe bottle if you wish.

I drink it all now that my stomach has adjusted to the doses of yeast but it does help to chill in fridge for multiple days.

Welcome to the Borg. I took a sample of the Heavy McWee from my hydro reading yesterday and damn was it tasty.

Also, +1 to what Draken said. You're going to refrigerate it after you've conditioned it and prior to drinking it. This will allow most of the yeast to fall into the bottom of the bottle and become compact. No need to filter it.

Don't fear the yeast, it's good for your body and soul. Nothing wrong with a little extra vitamin B.

+1 to cold crashing! I also put something like a cd case under the front of the LBK during cold crashing. This sends the trub to the back and away from the spigot. When your ready to bottle just leave the cd case under the front and whola! no more trub!!!

"k9dude" post=350739 said:

+1 to cold crashing! I also put something like a cd case under the front of the LBK during cold crashing. This sends the trub to the back and away from the spigot. When your ready to bottle just leave the cd case under the front and whola! no more trub!!!

cold crashing will stop the trub in the LBk from transferring to the bottle. then the yeast makes trub in the bottle from carbonating anyway. one long slow pour leaving 1/4-1/2" of beer in the bottom will leave the trub in the bottle.

Welcome aBorg!

... and, if God wanted us to filter our beer, he wouldn't have given us livers.

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!