Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bkstang

Shot of Espresso, English, English!!!

Tomorrow I will bottle my dark Forest Stout and I will start Sunday Morning Coming Down that requires at the time of bottling adding 1 shot of Espresso or strong coffee per 1 l of beer. So how much is "shot", 1 oz, 1,5 oz, 2 oz. It makes a huge difference or does it?

"bkstang" post=350744 said:

Tomorrow I will bottle my dark Forest Stout and I will start Sunday Morning Coming Down that requires at the time of bottling adding 1 shot of Espresso or strong coffee per 1 l of beer. So how much is "shot", 1 oz, 1,5 oz, 2 oz. It makes a huge difference or does it?

1 oz a "shot"

1 oz a "shot"

+1. I would say that anything more than an ounce of espresso would be pretty overpowering. In my opinion it would be better to err on the side of less espresso and see if you want to add more if/when you brew it again.

So far that's my favorite part about home brewing. You may enjoy 1.5oz of espresso in your brew whereas I might prefer 1oz. Being able to customize beer is pretty bamf. :lol:

+1 JonV1027. it is your brew, but as he also said, it's best to err on the side of caution. you'll have a baseline to refer to.

Agreed with all that has been said...

I was always taught that a shot is one ounce, a jigger is an ounce and a half, and two ounces is two shots.

You might want to experiment by taking a stout that you like that does not have coffee/expresso in it, and adding an ounce upon opening the bottle. You could then adjust up or down until you find the amount you like best.

Of course, it you start with an ounce and find it's too much, you will need to open another stout to adjust down.

Oh well, being a brewer is a tough job, but somebody has to do it! ;)

:)

Great idea! I have a couple of stouts in my fridge so I will experiment with them. Unfortunately (?) this is the beer I like and right now I'm just brewing and not drinking as those beers require more priming time. I have to spend evenings with beers purchased at local stores.

Also, since you're adding them at bottling time. Why not experiment some? Add 1oz to the majority (safety net/control group) then add 1.5oz to one and 2oz to another and label them appropriately. That way you can try all of your options and decide which you like the best.