Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Crazed

Keg Serving Question

My first kegged batch has just come out of conditioning after 4 weeks. I natural carbonated in the keg and just placed in the fridge for chilling. I thought Id tap one off to see how it looks and to clear the lines of sediment. But it is coming out nothing but solid foam. What can I do to get rid of the foam? should I burp the keg after it chills and let some of the pressure out?

Congrats on the first keg being ready.

You're going to have to give us some more information about your setup:

1) Serving pressure

2) Serving temperature

3) Length and inside diameter of beer line coming off the keg

4) What type of faucet or tap

Since you naturally carbed, the service pressure needs to start around 8psi. Work it up from there if that won't push the beer. And yes, you ought to burp it after it chills to make sure the keg pressure isn't more than your gas line pressure.

Give it a good chance to fully chill (I'd suggest to 38*F) - several hours. Until then, all you're going to get is foam.

How much have you poured? It might take a few glasses for it to settle but as BigFloyd stated, we need more info.
How much priming sugar did you use and what size keg?
Also, make sure you completely press the tap button as pressing only part of the way may cause that problem.

"Crazed" post=350851 said:

My first kegged batch has just come out of conditioning after 4 weeks. I natural carbonated in the keg and just placed in the fridge for chilling. I thought Id tap one off to see how it looks and to clear the lines of sediment. But it is coming out nothing but solid foam. What can I do to get rid of the foam? should I burp the keg after it chills and let some of the pressure out?

If you used the same amount of priming sugar you would have used for bottles, then you've really over carbonated your beer. Priming a keg takes quite a bit less sugar than an equal amount of bottles would, less than half is a good starting point.

It may take burping over several days to get the foaming under control, you could speed this up by shutting off the Co2 from the tank and letting the carbonation pressure in the keg serve the beer. I gave up on naturally carbonating my kegs, it's much easier and predictable to set the regulator at 12 psi and leave it sit for 5-7 days.

Are you using the little 16 gram carts/gun? With mine, I would let them sit in the fridge for a week, then I would slowly let all the press. out. Then I open the picnic tap and start giving quick shots of C02 until it started comming out the way I like it. It does not take much to get a good pour, don't empty the cart into the tank. I made that mistake a couple times, it only causes severe foaming.

Also never partially open the tap. Open it all the way immediately.

It's a 3 gallon keg with a whole LBK in it, I had use 1/3 cup of sugar for priming. I dont have a tank just yet or a regulator. I am simply using the portable 16 gram co2 dispenser to pour which is why I natural carbed in the first place. The tap is a simple picnic tap and is 4 feet long, 3/8ths OD tube I believe. I assumed that letting the beer chill and absorb the carb then burping it would allow for a natural pour. I only drew a 10oz glass before placing it in the fridge to chill.

Ok, so it looks like I've got the same keg set up. So did you ever get a beer or only foam? Have you tried again since? What adjustments worked? How much priming sugar? Reading posts, it looks like you use 1/2 of what Screwy's calculator says.

most kegs will spew foam at first pour,,,, gun it - wide open get the foam out ,,, and the beer will come,,,
just got a 5g keg from cedar creek brewery, TX, after a lot of foam [2 gallons - give or take] i filled 5-6 growlers and put them in the fridge
[attachment=13626]ccbontap.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=13627]5galccb.jpg[/attachment]