Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevenf

Question about level of activity in LBK

So my first batch was CAL started about 12 days ago. At the time I thought the activity level in the LBK was pretty good for the first week. It has since calmed quite abit and now just a few bubbles every once in a while. Kraussen has all settled.

Second batch, Bohemian Czech Pilsner, was started on Wednesday. I got another LBK. I'm noticing that the level of activity inside the LBK is really high compared to the first. Much more kraussen, bubbles and movement. Is there something I need to be learning from this observation or is it just beer making and every batch is going to have it's own character.

I did brew both batches exactly per instructions. Thanks

Each batch will have its own characteristics. Even batches using the same refill kit will vary in activity. It depends on yeast health, temperature, and a dash of randomness. As long as you're seeing trub, you're making beer, and that's the important part. Enjoy and welcome to the forums!

I think every recipe is different. I'm only on my third, but the second (Oktobefest), had the most krausen. The third, (Weissbier) has the least.

If you haven't tried it yet, wait till you brew the Winter Dark Ale, talk about activity in the LBK, there's a party going on in there! :banana:

All mine have varied in fermenting activity, from much of nothing to
mad boil-overs (winter dark ale ) but all wind up making great beer

Thanks guys. I can't wait. It's making me crazy but at least I get to watch it happen. Pretty cool. I just ordered a bottling wand and a hydrometer to add to my tools.

Good brewing requires consistency, don't let anyone kid you, use enough healthy yeast to give you an aggressive fermentation with little lag time for the best results.

Not arguing against pitching enough yeast... of course that's a good idea.

But if he is using the new "DownUnda" Mr. Beer yeast, he is using "enough" although I'd personally use 2 packs.

But even with 2 packs or "enough" of another yeast, the different Mr. Beer extracts do behave differently with the same amount of yeast pitched in them based on their wort composition. The ones with more head forming compounds and/or more malt blow out the lid, the ones without do not show anywhere near as much krausen, with exactly the same amount of exactly the same yeast pitched in them and the same levels of oxygenation. You can keep everything a constant except for wort composition and they *will* behave differently.

That would be true of any two different recipes with different wort composition with the same yeast at the same pitching rates.

Even with reduced pitching rates (1 pack of DownUnda in a Winter Dark is surely pitched at a lower rate for it's gravity when compared to 1 pack of DownUnda in the Pilsner), the fermentation will be much more aggressive looking in the Winter Dark because of the wort composition.

The Mr. Beer provided wheat yeast behaves totally differently then the DownUnda also. It forms a thinner, yet more dense and rocky krausen then the DownUnda in the same batch at the same pitching rates.

So what they are seeing is "normal".