Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rdrivas

Jamaica Mon and ???

So I have a batch of the Jamaica Mon that I bought and I did a honey version of it, which came out very nice at the first taste...still conditioning it long term..

I like the taste of it, and am thinking about what i could do to combine it with another refill...any thoughts?

I tested my Jamaica Mon on Thurs, its still pretty green, will be 4wks conditioning on Sat/Sun. Im not sure about adding another HME to it, its going to make a whole different beer.
From what I could taste through the young/cider tast was a sweet malty brew. With that, I thought maybe a little bit of hops would go good. Guess Im not a malty/sweet beer drinker. Depending on what type of beer you like will lead you in your direction.

Jamaica Mon is a goosed up Patriot Ale, with LME and booster, that comes in around the mid 5% ABV. You don't want to add a refill to that.

You seem to have a focus in all your posts to want to make modifications to everything, but what's your goal? Taste? ABV?

I suggest three things. First, download QBrew from www.screwybrewer.com and put in all your old recipes so you learn how to use it. Posts all over the forum on it, telling you how to do the hops first, etc.

Second, come up with what you're trying to achieve with a brew, THEN research how to get there. Honey taste? Steep some honey malt. Blueberry taste? Add a can of pureed Oregon blueberries after a week, making sure to sanitize the blender and pour gently.

Last, go to the Mr. Beer site and explore the recipes by type of extract. So, if you want to start with a Patriot Ale, see what choices they have. You tried Jamaica Mon (which is really not a recipe, just a higher ABV Patriot Ale that's a tad sweeter). If you want to combine with another refill (again, what's your goal?), see if any of the recipes do that (Powerful Patriot Ale). Then put it in QBrew. Then, add the LME and booster, and see your very high ABV that will take months and months of conditioning. Few recipes combine two cans of refills.

You also may want to try some of the Craft Series. Bewitched Amber Ale and Winter Dark are both very good. The deluxe versions (with 8.8 oz of LME) are supposed to be VERY good. And you'll get higher ABV with that great taste. And lower cost than combining two refills.

I made Jamaica Mon and it's so, so. Blue Patriot, based on a 4 week sample, is better. Bohemian Bronze which you also made but modified, is also better IMHO.

What I've found is that some of the base refills are better, to my taste, than others. Find the ones you like and build from there. After doing a handful of recipes, move to adding hops and comparing to the base, then adding steeping and comparing to the base.

Hope this helps.

I have done a set of brews, and I am looking more for taste than ABV. I am not too concerned about ABV...if I need that much alcohol i will switch up to my mixed drink favortie vodka. :)

rdrivas~

Check this recipe. It turned out very well. Very Jamaican. Frankly, the fact that they call is Jamaica Mon is an insult There is NOTHING even remotely Jamaican about it. There ain't no Black Stripe to it. If you want JAMAICA...look at this. Good, rich, flavorful.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1238610

here is what it looks like now...it does have a honey taste to it since i added it to the batch...very subtle...

normal_IMG_0104~0.JPG