Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T3kiz

Dead yeast?

So I just realized that Ive left my yeast out at room temperature (~66F at night, 73F during the day) for the last 5 days. Was starting a batch of Bavarian Weissbier and had taken out the yeast about an hour before I was going to start it but got a call that my uncle had passed and it completely slipped my mind to put it back in the fridge. That was Monday evening, Ive just gotten home and saw the yeast sitting on my counter. So is my yeast dead? Or is it still viable?

Guest System Admin

I don;t think temps of that range would kill yeast. The Bav Wheat Liquid yeast that I had go bad was sitting on my porch in August at 90 degrees for 4 hours......that was too much heat. 66F to 73F? Maybe the big boys can weigh in on the use and care of liquid yeast packs.

It could still be good. That type of yeast likes it a tad warm anyway. I'd make a starter to be sure though.

brand of yeast?? liquid or dry. I think you are going to be fine. You never got over 80

"haerbob3" post=351544 said:

brand of yeast?? liquid or dry. I think you are going to be fine. You never got over 80

Just the dry, MB yeast that came with the kit.

no problem the yeast is not active until you add it to the wort. I would highly recommend a Bavarian Weissbier yeast. Matching the yeast to the style of beer you are making is the easiest step to make a huge improvement to your beer. Yeast is to beer what location is to wine

The yeasties will be fine. Mr. B/Cooper's brews are stored at room temps in the lids of the cans! You only need to worry if they were old Mr. Beer yeasties that may have sat out for over a few years. Then they may have a hard time becoming active.

"NDR" post=351526 said:

So I just realized that Ive left my yeast out at room temperature (~66F at night, 73F during the day) for the last 5 days. Was starting a batch of Bavarian Weissbier and had taken out the yeast about an hour before I was going to start it but got a call that my uncle had passed and it completely slipped my mind to put it back in the fridge. That was Monday evening, Ive just gotten home and saw the yeast sitting on my counter. So is my yeast dead? Or is it still viable?

Sorry to hear about your loss, there's not much worse news you can get than that on brewday. The yeast will be perfectly fine though I'm sure the MB dry yeast packages aren't refrigerated to begin with. Hope your beer turns out great for you.

Just the dry, MB yeast that came with the kit.

My bad....I assumed it was the liquid WYeast that ships with some of the MRB recipes! Sorry!