Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheGrove

Need advice on my Cowgirl Honey Light

I'm brewing Cowgirl Honey Light. I followed all instructions, with one exception. I used powdered ginger instead of fresh grated ginger.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks in the LBK at 70-75 degrees. I don't own a hydrometer yet. It looks very murky, no way a light is shining through this. Of course a layer of trub on the bottom. I'm most surprised by the particles/crumbs suspended throughout the wort, mostly about 1/2 inch below the surface. (If they would rise or sink I could understand.)

I was going to bottle tomorrow. Should I go ahead with bottling? From what I've read I think it's done fermenting. I hope I'm wrong, but it does not look good. If my bottles have crumbs floating in them, I'll be a lonely drinker.

Any advice at all, please?

If you cold crash for a couple of days before bottling, it'll help drop the suspended particles into the trub.

If you don't want to wait for a cold crash, you can go ahead and bottle (after 3 weeks, it's a pretty safe bet that it's done fermenting). Just let the bottles condition at room temperature for at least four weeks, and then refrigerate them for three or so days before pouring. That will help suspended material drop out and solidify the trub.

This may not be a crystal clear beer, though. That being said, clarity is a visual aesthetic only. The beer will still be good-tasting beer.

Thank you FedoraDave! I'm just glad you didn't say to throw in the towel. My concern with clarity was just that the instructions say when your beer is clear and a light shines through it's ready to bottle. I was thinking a honey light beer might be more opaque, as well.

To cold crash, can I just put the LBK in the fridge for a couple of days? Will the family opening and closing the fridge disturb it too much? (I don't have a dedicated fridge yet.)

It should be good in the family fridge. And if that's your only option, then that's your only option.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Worrying is not good for your homebrew. Bad vibes and all.

Ahh yes, the zen brewer. Haha. My wife jokes about me reading books to my LBKs, like a child in the womb.

it'll fall out when you finally, after 4 weeks, refrigerate the bottles. thus cold crashing them. 1 long slow pour into a container that will hold all the beer(if using the 1lt bottles) leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of beer in the bottom. this will leave most of the trub in the bottom.

Grove, my CGHL was cloudy as well when I bottled even with a cold crash. It is nice and clear though in the bottles at two weeks :woohoo: There is more trub in the bottles than other batches I've done, so a slow pour will be in order. Welcome to the obsession. :cheers:

you should really like this brew.

I made it last thanksgiving....and it did not even last past new years.

Kegs will clear up with more time.

Grove, cowgirl honey light is my next brew. Please let me know how it came out with the powdered ginger. Also have you sampled the beer? If so how does it taste?

Thank you all for the comments. I'm feeling better about this batch now.

Ga Ced, I haven't tasted it yet. I put it in the fridge to cold crash. In 48 hours I'll bottle it. At that time I'll definitely sneak a taste and let you know.

I'll also come back and update when it's done conditioning.

After cold crashing I bottled the CHL. I had a small taste and I'm really looking forward to this one! It barely had a ginger taste at all, which is OK with me. I think the powdered ginger is what made it so mild, if you want more ginger bite you should probably use fresh grated.

I bought fresh ginger and I'm going to brew mine this Friday. For you guys who used fresher ginger, did you peel before grating?

Thanks. How much longer do you have for your CHL to finish conditioning

I just bottled 5 days ago. Gonna let it go 4 weeks, but will probably sneak a taste at 3!

I can't wait to brew this batch, it will be my first time adding hops to a batch.

I snuck a taste at 3 weeks, it's going to be pretty good at 4-5! I skipped the ginger (didn't see it on the recipe until I started mixing the ingredients). Will know better next time. Based on the advise of the Borg, I'll probably replace the booster with DME. Any suggestions on what kind?

Just so everyone is aware in the produce section of most supermarkets they have grated ginger in what looks like a toothpaste tube. I know folks don't want to mess with grating fresh ginger (It can be a pain!) but with the already grated stuff the quality is just as good as grating it yourself and once opened a tube can last like 6 months or so if you keep it closed tightly and in the fridge. Just 2 cents!

"daustin627" post=353328 said:

I snuck a taste at 3 weeks, it's going to be pretty good at 4-5! I skipped the ginger (didn't see it on the recipe until I started mixing the ingredients). Will know better next time. Based on the advise of the Borg, I'll probably replace the booster with DME. Any suggestions on what kind?

I would use light or extra light DME. That wont change the color/ flavor as much.

I wish you would have posted this info a few days ago lol. I bought the fresh ginger, but I don't own a grater.

"Ga Ced" post=353335 said:

I wish you would have posted this info a few days ago lol. I bought the fresh ginger, but I don't own a grater.

You don't have to grate it. Peel the ginger and chop it until it turns into paste. Rub the side of your knife over it to crush it more if you want.

"khawk95" post=353339 said:

You don't have to grate it. Peel the ginger and chop it until it turns into paste. Rub the side of your knife over it to crush it more if you want.

I was thinking of using my food processor to get it real fine

"Ga Ced" post=353344 said:

"khawk95" post=353339 said:

I was thinking of using my food processor to get it real fine

That will work. Just make sure to sanitize it well.

I just finished brewing my cowgirl honey light exactly by the instructions. According to mr beer the og should be 1.045, but mine is 1.059. Not sure why my number is different being that I brewed with no deviations from the instructions. I'm using the plastic hydrometer that comes with the cooper kit. Why?

"yankeedag" post=354455 said:

are you sure you topped it off with enough water?

Yes, I'm at the 8.5 mark. I tasted my sample and it is really sweet

Wow! Just sampled a shot of my CHL at week 1 of fermentation. Very pleased the initial sweetness has mellowed, the hops gave it a little bite of spiceness and it has a slight ginger after taste. I can wait to bottle this in 2 more weeks.

I don't think I like Ginger in my Beer!
Not sure about this one, this is the first one I'm not to crazy about.
I have tasted this for the third time tonight, it's on 5 weeks conditioning. Sampled at 3, 4 and now 5 weeks. I can drink it but, not sure if would do this one again.
Any one else have a opinion on the Cowgirl Honey Light?

No sir, I don't. Have not tried or looked at it. It uses ginger? I can say I would not like it.

(but with Mary Ann, anytime, anyplace, anyway)

(but with Mary Ann, anytime, anyplace, anyway)

You just read my mind!!!
LOL :lol:

"DadsBrew" post=363686 said:

I have tasted this for the third time tonight, it's on 5 weeks conditioning. Sampled at 3, 4 and now 5 weeks. I can drink it but, not sure if would do this one again.

How much ginger did you add to the recipe? I sampled before bottling and I could only taste a hint of ginger. From the sample I thought the CHL was very good and can't wait for the finished product.

"Ga Ced" post=363769 said:

"DadsBrew" post=363686 said:

How much ginger did you add to the recipe? I sampled before bottling and I could only taste a hint of ginger. From the sample I thought the CHL was very good and can't wait for the finished product.

I added the recipe amount. Just maybe ME, It's not something I can see myself doing again. NOT bad enough to dump or give away, but not good enough for a second try.
Way to many others for sampling!

I have a batch of the cowgirl honey also .It has been in the bottle 4weeks now I dont care much for the ginger taste .I dont think I would do this one again. and if I did I would leave out the ginger .at first the beer taste good I when you have that ginger taste that just comes on and blows it . so my advice and opinion is to leave the ginger out and try some kind of can fruit like cherrys or cherry juice 100%

I did mine without ginger and I must say, it was pretty tasty. The lack of ginger was a mistake, but a happy accident. I will do it again with ginger to see if I like it better, otherwise I have a nice honey light ale.

After 8 weeks in the bottle at room temperature this beer is still not good. Very cidery, like apple champagne or something. My wife drank hers, probably to be polite, but I dumped my bottle in disgust.

It was only my second brew, so I'll take the blame, but I don't think I would make it again anyway. (not digging the ginger.) I think I'm going to chalk it up to high fermentation temperature. I didn't have my dedicated fridge and temp control unit at the time, so it fermented at around 76 degrees. Of course there are also adjuncts in the recipe, both honey and booster.

I don't know, pretty bummed out right now. I'm gonna shove them in a closet and forget about them for a good while.

Grove, I know what you feel, disappointed after 8 wks and only second batch so most likely still developing a pipeline, just want to have something you made taste really good. Give it some more time and it should come around. In the meantime keep brewing. My first CAL took like 3 months to not taste cidery/wine like and given what the kit was it turned out ok. I know it is hard, but be patient you will be rewarded by the beer gods.

[attachment=13463]image_2013-05-19.jpg[/attachment]

Grove my CHL is very good after 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp. I had my family over and they enjoyed them. I have 7 16oz bottles remaining and can't wait to drink them.

That looks good, too.

Maybe I did ferment too warm. What was your fermentation temp, Ga Ced?

I fermented between 70-72 for 2 weeks, carbed and conditioned for 3 and a half weeks. I carbed using carbonation drops. They came out great, this was my first brew that had a nice creamy head with retention. With exception to the sample I tasted at bottling I really haven't noticed the ginger. I definitely plan on brewing this one again, with LME to replace the booster.

What type of honey did you use? Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I'm not sure, haha. I walked over to the Japanese supermarket and grabbed a bottle. All I knew was the translation "hachimitsu" means honey. (one of my limitations.)
I'm perfectly ready to take the blame for this turnout. It was my 2nd brew and I've done 10 now. Others have passed it by and tasted great. Maybe it was the high temps I used back then, maybe my sanitation habits were sloppy. I think it will turn out, but require long conditioning to settle.