Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rdrivas

Hops? Opinions on taste and style?

So a local guy has 1 Gallon bags of hops that are a cross breed of Nugget & Cascade.

Anyone used these individual hops before, or perhaps a hybrid like this?

Just curious on the taste, and also what beer they would go good with.

A whole 1 gallon bag is going to be $20, not sure if that is a good price or sky high!

You can price hops at any of the sites, 1 oz bags are often $2. Don't know how much a gallon bag weighs, but the real question is - Can you possibly use that much hops before they get stale? ;)

Guest System Admin

Rick hit it there.

That's a lot of hops.

I think it is a reasonable price for that quantity of hops flowers. I don't know if you can use that much up before they spoil even if you freeze them.

As for what they may taste like, can't say for certain. Here are the profiles for Cascades and Nugget hops. Figure is is something of a combination of them.

Cascade: Strong spicy, floral, citrus (i.e. grapefruit) aroma. The defining aroma for American style Pale ales. Used for bittering, finishing, and especially dry hopping.

Nugget: Heavy, spicy, herbal aroma; Strong bittering hop. Some aroma uses

if they are the cone you will be surprise at how fast they go. An ounce of cones will fill a sandwich bag. You could easily use 2 - 4 oz per brew. Use a food saver to remove the air and store in the freezer. Stored that way, I have used hops a year old. I could not tell the difference. Also whole hops (cones) adsorb a lot of wort, you will need to adjust for this. There is a different flavor profile to whole hops. I prefer them for my pilsners. It is fun to watch the pollen fall into the wort.