Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JRM

First batch done!

Good morning all,
Been busy reading all the great info here and have learned alot. Just finished my first batch, a west coast pale ale. Had it in the fermentor 3 weeks,carbonating for 2 weeks and conditioning for another 2 weeks. I chilled the first bottle for 2 day and had my neighbor over for testing (he has been brewing for some time). The head on the beer was great. Color good not a really bold taste kinda like bud light. But there was kinda a plastic after taste. The taste went away after a few sips but if you went away from the beer it would come back. The refill that I used was past its experation date so i think that could have caused the lack of flavor but we were bothh stumped on the after taste. Any ideas?
thanks in advance
J.R.

The older the refills get the darker they get. West Coast Pale Ale was not one of the shining stars in the old product lineup. It was supplied with kits because they believed it was the one the least likely to offend. Basically BLAH.

Some questions:

How did you clean and sanitize the LBK before making the brew?

How did you clean and sanitize the bottles before making the brew (assuming you used the Mr. Beer 1 liter PET bottles)?

One thought comes to my mind would be that the Mr. Beer kit was old. If you didn't clean the LBK with unscented soap, rinse it with warm (not hot) water, and then let it air it could possibly have some plastic scent to it. Same with the bottles.

thank you for the response The kit was probaly 4 years old and I did wash it out. I followed the instuctions on sanitizing, But my neighbor thought I didnt give it enough time. The instuctions said a min of 10 mins, he says a min of a day and even longer. His first thought was bacteria but then he said the color and carbonation was too good for that. I have bought another keg and am sanitizing both of them now and am going to try a patriot lager and a american ale.
J.R

The One Step sanitizer does its job in 10 minutes. I don't know of any sanitizer that requires a day.

Make sure you don't wash the keg, or the PET bottles with HOT water. That sort of bakes in the flavor.

Also - either use unscented dish soap or Oxiclean FREE. Scented dish soap will also give an off flavor.

I think what he was trying to get across was how careful he is about sanitizing After my first batch I did clean the orginal LBK very well but now I am woundering if I should dump the sanitizer out of my new 2nd LBK and clean it better.

[attachment=12196]congratulationblueglow_2013-03-17.gif[/attachment]

On your first brew. The West Coast Pale Ale was a rather bland beer and needed additions to really make it into a decent brew. You did well with what you had. I doubt there was a sanitation problem. Just remember to keep sanitizing your LBK, brewing tools and bottles in the future. Try one of the Mr. B/Cooper's deluxe, craft or recipe brews for better beers.

I am actually bottling my first brew today. It has been sitting for 21days today (also used west coast pale ale for my first). I've just finished soaking my PET bottles in a 5gallon pot of oxyclean free for about 5mins per bottle (warm water and 1/2 scoop) and rinsed them 4 times now. Also just did my Hydrometer and tube. About to mix up a pot of Star San to do the bottles and start bottling this afternoon after my corn beef is done. I also picked up another Kit off Ebay for $6 with local pickup and have a Whispering wheat weizenbier brewing in that keg. It’s at one week today on that brew and has a lot more activity in the keg then my west coast pale ale did. Hope thats not a bad sign for my first brew :)

i don't think it's a sanitation problem as others have said. just an old kit that wasn't the best to start with. just make sure you clean good after every batch with oxiclean free. if you don't trust the one step then go to your lhbs(local home brew store) and get some star san or what ever no rinse sanitizer they carry. RAHAHB you've made beer. the off flavor might condition out, remember time is your friend. the 4 weeks carb/condition is minimum time. stash one bottle back for a couple more weeks and see if that helps.

[attachment=12201]welcomebeer_2013-03-17.gif[/attachment]

PlanetB,

You will have beer with your first brew. Just realize that Mr. B has you start with and easy brew to make that also tends to be on the bland side (whether it is West Coast Pale Ale or the Classic [what a misnomer!] American Light). They figure that most Americans are used to bland beers and stonger, hoppier, more flavorful beers might turn them off from brewing. That may underestimate American tastes and the reason that many folks go into home brewing. Many of use do it because we do like stonger, hoppier, more flavorful beers and don't get enough of those from distributors, bars, etc. Fortunately, many of the new Mr. B/Cooper's HMEs are good to very good brews without additions. Playing with them a little can turn them into really good beers. So hang in there and try some of the deluxe, craft and recipe brews. I'm sure you will find them better than West Coast Pale Ale.

[attachment=12204]graphics-beer-737871_2013-02-01_2013-03-17.gif[/attachment][attachment=12205]congrats-cat-ag1_2013-03-02_2013-03-17.gif[/attachment][attachment=12204]graphics-beer-737871_2013-02-01_2013-03-17.gif[/attachment]

Just bottled the keg and it taste pretty good. Now to hide it away for the next 4 week+ :)

If longer conditioning does not make the flavor improve you may be living in an area where they "over-treat" the water. This can cause a plastic flavor as the chlorine combines with the proteins in the malt and hops causing the presence of chlorophenolics. You may want to try using bottled water if the problem persists. I don't like the flavor of our water here and always go to the store and get the 2.5 liter spring water.

I too brewed some old wcpa. I added 1 pound of amber dme I had laying around and some cascade hops for flavor. I'm not a huge pale ale fan but it wasn't bad.