Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjbearit

St. Patrick's Stout

Well, time to fess up I guess. I started a batch of St Patrick's Stout way too late for St Paddy's day, which kinda irritated me. I bottled it (glass bottles) on 3/9 so it should still be conditioning for weeks yet, but you know with today being the 17th I couldn't just let that go! Yesterday I took a bottle out of the case and threw it in the fridge. I just opened it and split it with my wife. Now this is the woman who likes pale ale, Blue Moon, lite beers, etc. I like Guinness, IPAs, Newcastle and whatever someone else is buying. So just a few minutes ago (one week and one day after bottling) I opened the first bottle. I held my breath as I pulled up and sure enough, a slight hiss as the cap gave way. I poured 2/3 in one glass, 1/3 in the other glass (I did the work I get the lions share!). Both glasses produced a decent sturdy head. We both agreed that the flavor was very good. No off flavors, good caramel/toffee flavors. Very good color. The head mapped nicely down the glass as it was consumed. Nice long finish, not overly bitter, but nicely toasty. As this ages properly, this is going to be one heck of a good brew. This was made with no additions, no changes, just the basic recipe. I felt the carbonation could have been a bit better, but in all fairness, this was after one week! I suppose if I behave and let it finish carbonating I will be completely happy with the results! :stout:

"mjbearit" post=351972 said:

Well, time to fess up I guess. I started a batch of St Patrick's Stout way too late for St Paddy's day, which kinda irritated me. I bottled it (glass bottles) on 3/9 so it should still be conditioning for weeks yet, but you know with today being the 17th I couldn't just let that go! Yesterday I took a bottle out of the case and threw it in the fridge. I just opened it and split it with my wife. Now this is the woman who likes pale ale, Blue Moon, lite beers, etc. I like Guinness, IPAs, Newcastle and whatever someone else is buying. So just a few minutes ago (one week and one day after bottling) I opened the first bottle. I held my breath as I pulled up and sure enough, a slight hiss as the cap gave way. I poured 2/3 in one glass, 1/3 in the other glass (I did the work I get the lions share!). Both glasses produced a decent sturdy head. We both agreed that the flavor was very good. No off flavors, good caramel/toffee flavors. Very good color. The head mapped nicely down the glass as it was consumed. Nice long finish, not overly bitter, but nicely toasty. As this ages properly, this is going to be one heck of a good brew. This was made with no additions, no changes, just the basic recipe. I felt the carbonation could have been a bit better, but in all fairness, this was after one week! I suppose if I behave and let it finish carbonating I will be completely happy with the results! :stout:

:banana: :banana:
Congratulations! Don't blame you one bit!
Now think about how much better it will be with some age on it!
Hooray BEER!

I am thinking of how good it will be which is why I am now drinking a Newcastle! LOL! I can't believe I have such a huge hole in my pipeline! LOL!

St. Patrick's Stout is a good one it does benefit from an extended conditioning time

Are yall talking about the shamless stout I just recieved that one on my doorstep today im looking forward to brewing it