Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sluggo

Belgian IPA - Stone Cali-Belgique clone

I had a Stone Cali-Belgique while watching some great basketball, and it peaked my interest. Very complex Belgian IPA.

Anyone ever try one, and anyone ever clone it? Found a recipe and may give it a try.

Guest System Admin

I made my own Belgian IPA back March 2012.

Came out pretty good, will try again sometime

It's Stone IPA fermented with a White Labs Belgian Yeast (570 I believe, which is what the Verticle Epic 8-8-8 used), and using Chinook as finishing hops instead of Centennial.

Here's a good article on it's inception...

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/cali-belgique-the-untold-story/

Here's the recipe for the 8-8-8 showing its use of the WL570...

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm

Just grab a good Stone IPA clone recipe, use the WL570 and finish it off with Chinook.

:)

Haerbob3 - that one looks like a great one. My jaw is still on the ground. NB has that one in the fermenter for 1.5 months

BigPapa - Jackpot. Thanks for sharing. Have you made it? I think I'm hooked up and ready to go with some ingredients.

This is what its looking like so far - http://hopville.com/recipe/1690704

"sluggo" post=352074 said:

Sluggo~

We've been talking about this...but when I click on the recipe, somehow it looks like you have entered that you measured the OG already. The projected OG was around 1.064 and you entered that you measured it at 1.070. Not sure what happened.

==========

Nevermind. I see what happened. Thanks.

"sluggo" post=352074 said:

BigPapa - Jackpot. Thanks for sharing. Have you made it? I think I'm hooked up and ready to go with some ingredients.

I have not made it...

Like Haerbob3 and Trollby, I sort of made up my own, starting from anpther recipe as a base and tweaking ( still tweaking) it...

Looks great though...

Good luck with it and let us know how it comes out!

I would follow the basics for an IPA.

1. 60 to 90 minute full volume hop boil. That will maximize your hop utilization, bittering.

2. Add hops at 30 min, 15 min, 10 min, and 5 min, bittering flavor and aroma

3. Dry hop and/or use a hop tea possible a hopshot (CO2 extracted hop oil)

DO NOT USE O2 CAPS when bottling these will reduce your over all hoppiness. Drink young.

sorry I posted this in the wrong post :^(

finally getting to this one today. Going to have a bottled Stone Cali while I brew. Bought a 5 gallon bucket lastnight, so I'm officially "into" the 5 gallon batches!

enlightening for sure. 5 gallon, super hopped up belgian IPA in the 5 gallon pale and actively fermenting.

Once ya go five, so start to jive.

Once ya go five, you're out of the bee hive.

Once ya go five, you've learned to drive!

Bringing this back form the grave
So, anyone drinking their clone yet?
Im looking at making this in the near future....after I get my stuff for 5gal brew that is.
So, when they call for 2-row Pale Malt, is it American 2-Row(briess) or American 2-row (Rahr) or Pale Ale malt?
Im going to follow the recipe for the IPA and use the WL570 yeast

ChizzleD - it was OUTSTANDING. Very hoppy. Grapefruit finish. My go to brew, and about 1/2 way thru drinking the batch. Have yet to do a taste test against the commercial stuff but will do so in the next few days to see if it's spot on.

I used 2-Row Briess and 570 yeast

Sluggo - Thats great news! Thank you. :cheers:
I havent tried the commercial stuff. I was looking for something along the likes of a Belgian IPA or a White IPA since the Spring Seasonal isnt very IPA and found the recipe for the Cali-Belgique. I love Stone Brews. Im sure this will be great :banana: :banana:
Now time to get my 5gal stuff... :blink:

"Sluggo" post=374059 said:

ChizzleD - it was OUTSTANDING. Very hoppy. Grapefruit finish. My go to brew, and about 1/2 way thru drinking the batch. Have yet to do a taste test against the commercial stuff but will do so in the next few days to see if it's spot on.

I used 2-Row Briess and 570 yeast

Glad it worked out for you Sluggo!

Excellent Beer had one while working on home remodel, while I find most Belgians a little overpoweringly sweet with a strong aftertaste, I quite enjoyed this one and will be putting it in my clone que. All in all quite powerful and snuck up on me.

Will be my new go to brew, when out of home brew. Home remodel almost finished time to start brewing again next weekend.

"dogsnharleys" post=374183 said:

Excellent Beer had one while working on home remodel, while I find most Belgians a little overpoweringly sweet with a strong aftertaste, I quite enjoyed this one and will be putting it in my clone que. All in all quite powerful and snuck up on me.

Will be my new go to brew, when out of home brew. Home remodel almost finished time to start brewing again next weekend.

At $4-5 for a 22oz beer, it's not my commercial go-to. But it is my home brew go to. I'm finishing up my batch of this. I'm going to add even more last minute hops, and decrease the earlier hops a bit. Slightly less bitter finish, and slightly more grapefruit tones is what I'm going for to "Perfect" this one.

Well, I found and tried the commercial brew :woohoo:
It was actually pretty darn awesome! :chug: and for a Stone brew at $4 thats a good deal to me (Ruination is $7-8). I actually think what I did to my Seasonal White IPA is pretty close to this! (from what the hydrometer sample tasted like on Saturday.
Cant wait to do this all grain. might make 10 gal or mash and do half IPA and Have Cali-Belgique.