Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beanie

Freaking psyched

:cheers: So I feel completely awesome now that my first homebrew has been tasted and reviewed by my family and friends. They all seem to like the Classic American Light which was great for me to hear. I do have one question, however, did anybody else have the Classic American Light tasting and smelling like apples after all the fermentation and carbonation were done?

One final note, I attached a picture of my finished beer. It tasted delicious.

Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

green beer time is your friend 4 weeks carb/conditioning is the minimum time. more is always better.

My first batch was CAL also, and it had a cidery taste at first, as I made the noobish mistake of following Mr Beer's instructions. From the great advice on received on here, I let them sit another 2 weeks at room temps (total of 4 weeks) and they were MUCH better. The pic on my avatar is that batch after the extra 2 weeks, and the results were good enough to get me hooked.

Welcome to home brewing! :chug:

CAL was my first batch, it took 5 weeks in bottles to remove that taste. Give little more time and it will be better.

Like everyone said above - its a sign of young, not fully conditioned beer.

We recommend 3 weeks in the keg for fermenting and then at least 4 weeks in the bottle to carbonate & condition the beer. Then in the fridge for a day or two before drinking and you should be good to go.

"packerduf" post=352050 said:

Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Also known as GBS: Green Beer Syndrome

Yup more time. I first tried one at 3 weeks and it had a slight apple taste to it. But at 4 weeks it was perfect. Crazy how only week can affect it.

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps a little more info on my part is needed. I had read up on the forum that allowing the beer 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottles was recommended so I followed that. The last two bottles that tasted of apples were actually left in the bottle at room temperature for 2 extra weeks before they were put into the refrigerator.

"Beanie" post=352150 said:

Thank you for the advice. Perhaps a little more info on my part is needed. I had read up on the forum that allowing the beer 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottles was recommended so I followed that. The last two bottles that tasted of apples were actually left in the bottle at room temperature for 2 extra weeks before they were put into the refrigerator.

4 weeks carb/conditioning is the minimum. however the CAL seems to have a sweetish taste to me also i thought a little like fruit. could be we don't like something it the taste profile.

"Jim Johnson" post=352170 said:

4 weeks carb/conditioning is the minimum. however the CAL seems to have a sweetish taste to me also i thought a little like fruit. could be we don't like something it the taste profile.

I noticed the same taste in my CAL and Canadian Blonde. I think its the esters from the yeast that we are tasting. I do currently ferment mine near the top ~70*F. Maybe I will try another batch of CAL at cooler temps once I get my ferment chamber finished.

"Nightman" post=352173 said:

I noticed the same taste in my CAL and Canadian Blonde. I think its the esters from the yeast that we are tasting. I do currently ferment mine near the top ~70*F. Maybe I will try another batch of CAL at cooler temps once I get my ferment chamber finished.

i did mine at 65f.

"Nightman" post=352173 said:

All of my batches ferment between 65-68 degrees including the CAL. I still get the fruity taste in mine and it's been bottled for just under 6 weeks now.

"Jim Johnson" post=352177 said:

i did mine at 65f.

Guess its the nature of the beast then. I was going to try around there. Should have ferment chamber operational by the end of this weekend.

well i wonder what hops they used for flavoring. i'm not a hop head but i've had wheat beers that were more hoppy. i think you'll have to do some kind of flavor boil 15-20 min. w/a dme or lme. i'm wondering if the sweetish taste is 'cause, to us, it's too malty. not everybody seems to taste the fruit. i got a friend who thinks the CAL tastes just like a Bud.(i'm sorry)

Give it time. My CAL brewed 12/31/12 bottled 01/22/13 tasted like that until yesterday....almost 2 months. Fermented at 68-69, conditioned 70-72. I chilled one on friday to have while bottling my St. PAts (a little late...doh!!) and it was really nice. Not a craft brew mind you, but my brew that tasted good. Wlecome to the BORG.