Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JDFarrer

St. Patricks Irish Stout

I am going try the St. Patricks Irish stout. I have only brewed 2 batches before and neither turned out real great. Is there anything that I should do with this recipe for it to turn out good?

Just depends on what you like and are looking for. What didn't you like about the other batches you made?

do not follow MR B's instructions. Follow the BORG's:
1. 3 weeks in the LBK,
2. 2 weeks carbing + 2 weeks conditioning = 4 weeks

so roughly 7 weeks to drinkable.
What was wrong with your first 2 batches??

Also - please don't post the same question on two different parts of the forum. Usually one post will generate an answer in record time.

Thanks! ;)

Stouts really benefit from a longer conditioning time, especially the super heavy ones.
Let it ferment for 3 weeks if you don't have a hydrometer.
Then leave it in the bottle for at least 2 months, but preferably 4 if you can wait.

My stout was kind of bad (1 month), then ok (2), then pretty good(3), then AMAZING(4)....

If only I had known how good it would get I woulda have bought beer to hold me over.

"haerbob3" post=352117 said:

do not follow MR B's instructions. Follow the BORG's:
1. 3 weeks in the LBK,
2. 2 weeks carbing + 2 weeks conditioning = 4 weeks

so roughly 7 weeks to drinkable.
What was wrong with your first 2 batches??

+1

I recently opened my first bottle of the Irish Stout, brewed without modifications except for the fermenting and conditioning time increases, and it was quite good. It'll be better with a few more weeks of conditioning, but overall it was quite good and I don't think this refill actually needs any changes.

It's a bit on the bitter side, though, so if you prefer a maltier stout you may want to add between 0.5 - 1 lbs of amber DME (you could also use dark DME, but I'm told that will probably end up making the roasted malt taste too overpowering).

I did as asnider is suggesting. 1/2 lb. amber dme added to St. Patricks Irish Stout and it came out quite tasty. I also used Safale S-04 English Ale yeast and I think that gave a nice bready character.