Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JDFarrer

St. Patricks Irish Stout

I have never brewed a stout before. I am a little nervous. I purchased the St. Patricks Irish Stout mix. Should I stick stricly with the recipe on the can or are there some tricks to make it turn out amazing? It came with a BrewMax LME SoftPack Robust package. Should this be used? If so, the whole package? I am new to this home brewing, I have brewed 2 batches in the past, a blueberry and cherry wheat and neither seemed to turn out that great. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Borg! People have had good results with the St Pat's mix, and the LME should make it even better. For now, I recommend sticking to the Mr Beer recipe and instructions until you feel comfortable in making variations. This will give you a baseline for comparison to the changes that you will try later.

Later, one thing that I like in stouts is to add a quart of 100% cherry juice, making sure there are no preservatives and that it is pasteurized, after one week of fermentation, and then allowing two more weeks of fermentation. Then, allow 4 weeks for carbonating and conditioning in the bottle, maybe more, before expecting a polished beer. The added cherry will not taste much like cherry, but adds a nice richness.

"Foothiller" post=352056 said:

Later, one thing that I like in stouts is to add a quart of 100% cherry juice, making sure there are no preservatives and that it is pasteurized, after one week of fermentation, and then allowing two more weeks of fermentation. Then, allow 4 weeks for carbonating and conditioning in the bottle, maybe more, before expecting a polished beer. The added cherry will not taste much like cherry, but adds a nice richness.

Interesting, thanks for sharing this idea/technique.

I order 2 batch of the st PATRICK so. DO you think it will rays the ABV? PUTTING IN THE CHERRY JUICE

Adding 1 quart of cherry juice would raise the ABV by about 0.5% in a 2.25 gallon batch. The primary fermentation will have settled down after the first week, then will re-start when you add a new fermentable, for a short period. You want to wait until after the first week so you don't lose the flavor during primary fermentation. Then, the 2nd and 3rd weeks allow flavors to blend, yeast to clean up their initial by-products, etc. Hopefully you noticed that it should be 100% cherry juice, pasteurized, without preservatives.

You'll be ok if you follow the directions. The st patty's stout is a pretty good refill in my opinion.

Q.When using the cherry juice in the ST PATTY can you use can cherrys in water?Crushed or blended up.

Yes, you could use canned fruit. Mr Beer's "Dark Forest Stout" (see http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1029/nm/Dark_Forest_Stout1) does this with canned raspberries, and you can use the same instructions - except that I recommend adding the fruit after the first week of fermentation, to not lose the fruit flavor out the vent with the CO2. You could probably also use fresh fruit, but you woud need to pasteurize it by heating it hot and long enough.

thanks you. You have been very helpful, I know little about using fruit it go's wild in the beginin. Good idea on the 1 week wait. THAHKS

Okay I started a batch of St. Pat's today and bought a quart of unsweetened pasteurized cherry juice. I'll let y'all know how it turns out in about 7 weeks.

foothiller thank again.ok i got some cherry juice it is .concentrate it said to add 8oz to 42 oz of water to make 50oz of juice.my Q is do you think i should make it with the water and add it to my wort or just add the concentrate cherry juice to my wort. and again thank you very much you have been very helpful. i am new to the brewin game and haveing fun. i have brew 10 batchs of beer now.they all turn out great. but i have learned that let it sit and run its time is best.IF YOU CAN WAIT LOL thanks.

I wouldn't use the concentrate because the point of adding pasteurized cherry juice is to make sure you don't introduce any bacteria into your brew. That would be questionable using concentrate and rehydrating it with water.

the cherry juice i have is not frozen concentrate it is a liquid juice but it is concentrate so i think i am just goin to add it right to my wort . but i see were you are goin with mixing it in water and introduceing bactreria. i will see how it gos . let you know how it turns out THANK YOU AND CHEERS.

With the clarification that the concentrate is not frozen, I must assume it is pasteurized, and agree with adding it straight into the wort. If frozen, I had considered suggesting heating it to make sure it became pasteurized, if that had not been clear. The wort has plenty of water to mix it in. If you used its directions for amount of water to dilute it in, you could have risked overflowing the LBK. Here's looking forward to a good beer!

I know patience is tough, but if you let it stay in the LBK for 3 weeks before bottling, I won't tell anyone if you then sneak an early sample to check its carbonating and conditioning, once per week.

well i put in the cherry juice last nite and the day it was goin good . it over flowed a little but not to bad i had a12oz. bottle i put the whole thing in it has settled down a little for now. i will keep you updated.

Well the overflowing has settled down completely.So im haveing fun now.I think I will let it brew for 3week more and see how thing go THAT WILL BE 4 WEEKS TOTAL. Let you no how that goes. CHEERS

Had one of mine 5 1/2 weeks in the bottle. Nice, foamy head, perfectly lightly carbed but almost a banana type finish. It's still got that extract twang that I was hoping the LME would help to remove. I'm hoping 3 more weeks will help the roasty flavors to come out a bit more.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I just used the extract and the LME in the kit and nothing else.
It does sound nice but I'm not really into flavored beers. Let me know how you like it.

Im brewin 2 batchs of the st patty 1with cherry juice and 1without.I see you have been conditioning for 5 1/2weeks . Im goin to let the cherry brew for about 4week before bottleing.It has been brewin for going on 2weeks.But I will let you no how it turns out.cheer!!

You have a good approach in brewing 2 batches side-by-side with the single difference, to see its effect. When I first tried cherry juice in a stout that's what I did, along with a 3rd variation with adding honey. I liked the honey addition slightly better than the straight stout, but it was the cherry juice that stood out as what to repeat. Since then, I have done other side-by-side comparisons with single or limited differences, and it's interesting to see the results.

I thought I would brew both of the st patty at the same time so I could know how the st pattys real brew tasted without the cherry juice.and i will see how i like both and if so I may try the honey.lets see what happens.But thanks again for the tips. I have been looking at the new spring brew Mr. bEER has I Think im going to order it. I have 4 batchs brewing now the 2 st pattys 1classic american and 1american porter.

Added 1 qt of pasteurized unsweetened cherry juice to St. Pat's Irish Stout in my LBK after 1 week in primary fermentation tonight.

Gonna be hard to wait 6 more weeks to try it.

Strelnikov Did you have any overflow after addin the cherry juice.I had a little but it settle down after a day. let me know how thing go good luck. CHEERS!!!

Trike,

Overflow is an understatement. The LBK was like a volcano today. When I added the cherry juice last night I looked into the LBK and it looked dead. Hmmm I thought, not much going on there. So I added the cherry juice. 12 hours later there's foam coming out of the LBK in several places. I put my ear down near the lid of the LBK and I hear gas coming out of it. That cherry juice is powerful stuff! I never would have thought unsweetened cherry juice would fuel the yeast that hard.

yES i NO WHAt YOU MEAN,mINE DID THE SAME THING ,YOU HAVE TO JUST LOOSING The top and letting out the gases and keep cleaning the little vents with some sanitize cleaner with a paper towel it will be ok. It will settle down in about 24 hours ,but you have to keep letting the gases out so your lid so it don't blow off hahah,, That was funny what you said ,,you put your ear up to it ..don't maen no harm by laughng. Sit back and have a beer and wait it out and i will have one to .and Cheers

Trike,

Exactly what I did. SWMBO wanted to see what the commotion was about so I showed her. She said what a mess to clean up. So I said yeah just leave it, next time I'll put a turkey pan underneath it. Don't want to disturb it now. Can't wait to see what this monster brew turns out to be.

The best part is my son sleeps in the basement. He didn't know what I did with the cherry juice. I got up this morning and my wife says he heard noises in the basement in the middle of the night, got scared, and slept on the couch in the living room last night. We had a good laugh knowing that all the noise was gas and foam spewing out of the cherry juice infected LBK.

the 1st time i brew a batch of beer I used blackberry in some aztec mexican cerveza and what a mess I used a booster in it too and at 1st everything was fine and about 12hours later it went wilded i thougth by keg was going to blow up and my wife was going off and to top it all off i had to go to work and she had to keep looseing the top for me it settle down in about aday but that was my 1st brew with fruit but overall it turn out to be 1 of best brew to date so hang in there it may be. 1 of your best . IM HAVEING A BEER NOW SO HERE TO YA. CHEERS!!!! HAPPY EASTER.

I have enough in my pipeline (inventory) that I can afford to not try to get too much in the LBK - something over 2 gallons. When I will be adding fruit juice, I leave room for that added volume. Even then, although I haven't had any spill-overs, I have had some batches where I find krausen all over the roof of the LBK.

I do keep my LBKs in a bin that could contain the whole volume in case of a disaster, without making a mess.

Well I just did a taste sample of my st patty I have 2 batch brewing 1 plain and 1 with cherry juice.The 1 with out the cherry juice is tasteing fine it is going to be a very good beer.The 1 with the cherry juice has a little tangy taste but it has only been brewing for les when 2weeks but I think it will be okay. But I know 1 thing it will be drinkable. So let the brewing gods do there work. So have another beer and wait.Im brewing now.CHEERS. BEER BREWING IS THE BEST HOBBY I EVER HAD.

"TRIKE" post=356923 said:

yES i NO WHAt YOU MEAN,mINE DID THE SAME THING ,YOU HAVE TO JUST LOOSING The top and letting out the gases and keep cleaning the little vents with some sanitize cleaner with a paper towel it will be ok. It will settle down in about 24 hours ,but you have to keep letting the gases out so your lid so it don't blow off hahah,, That was funny what you said ,,you put your ear up to it ..don't maen no harm by laughng. Sit back and have a beer and wait it out and i will have one to .and Cheers

I wouldn't recommend this approach. Do not repeatedly remove the lid and clean the vents. When you first make your beer, tighten the lid and then back it off a quarter turn. If it overflows, as long as you see/hear foam or gas coming out, LEAVE IT ALONE. You can wipe the outside down with a sanitized paper towel. When it is done, remove the lid to check the vents ONLY IF YOU THINK THEY ARE CLOGGED. Do it quick, wiping with a paper towel with sanitizer on it, then put the lid back on.

Strelnikov: Well the monster brew should have settle down by now sorry about the info. on looseing top and cleanin the vents but if the vents clogged and the keg was swelling up you will have to clean them once in awhile so your top woundnt blow.but I think it will be okay CHEERS

Trike,

The monster brew has stopped spewing stuff out of the top of the LBK but it still going like crazy inside the LBK. I loosened the lid a bit (hard to turn because of all the sludge in the lid). I'm wondering if I need to leave this batch in the LBK an extra week because it's so active. That would be a total of 4 weeks with the original St. Pat's and a total of 3 weeks with the added cherry juice.

And Happy Easter!

The cherry juice will have added less fermentables than the original brew had, so the total of 3 weeks will generally be enough. You can watch the activity through the LBK's walls (assuming there is a clear view somewhere through the krausen residue), by holding a flashlight on the other side. Unless it still seems active 3 weeks after the initial brewing, and if you have a hydrometer reading of the original gravity (OG), you can check the final gravity at the 3-week point. If the attenuation (1 - FG/OG) is about 75% or more, it should be OK to bottle. Note, concerning the OG when you first brewed, it can be affected a little by adding the cherry juice later (or any other addition while fermenting). I use QBrew to estimate what the OG would be without the later addition, to compare to my measured OG. Then, QBrew says what the OG would be with the additional fermentable and additional volume of juice, to calculate how to adjust my measured OG would have been if the juice had been added at the start.

I have only had one batch to date that had a FG reading that called for a 4th week. I also allow a 4th week for high gravity brews, around 1.08 or higher OG, but this stout wouldn't be in that range.

Now having a refractometer, I can check my gravity every week without wasting wort. The fermentation is often almost done after one week, but then the rest of the time lets the yeast clean up their byproducts and allows batch conditioning for the flavors to come together.

GOOD Im letting mine go a extra week too. but i added some blueberry to mine because mine had a little tangy taste that I didnt care for much Im hopeing it will sweetin it up a little So now I have a cherry blueberry st pattys brew going on it may not sweetin it up but I think it will be okay.it cant hurt.it may make it better I will keep you up dated Good luck on yours keep me up dated. Who know I may have come up with a good beer. SO FOR NOW CHEERS FRIEND.

Foothiller,

I don't have a hydrometer. I'm really just getting started with this beer brewing thing. I'd have to do some reading to understand the OG/FG concepts. I used to have a refractometer so I know how to use one, but my dad borrowed it, he passed away, and I never saw it again.

Trike,

So you snuck in some blueberry into that brew! That ought to be interesting - and unique!

I might just compromise and let mine brew 3-1/2 weeks. But I'm definitely keeping an eye on it.

Streinkov: I read what FOOTHILLER said I dont understand all that og/fg stuff so im just going to see how it looks after 3weeks if it looks okay and taste okay im goin to bottle it. my should be ready on April 12 that will be 3weeks or the 19 I will seewhat happens. But Foothiller has been very helpful to me. And I Put some blueberry in mine like I said earlyer it cant hurt I hope but I thihk it will be drinkable I just checked on it and it is starting to brew Iwill see by morning.I just hope it dont get to wild.but when it settles down I will do a taste test if its okay I think I will bottle it on april 12th I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED SO LETS DRINK A BEER. CHEERS!!!

Trike,

Okay I'm not gonna add any blueberry to mine since this is the first time I've added cherry juice. Just gonna wait and see what it's like when it finishes. If I don't like it I'll add blueberry and go from there.

In the meantime I just had a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout (one of my favorite brews).

ok, thank you fellas for that amazing posting(y) i'm just about to start cooking up some water this weekend to do my SP Irish Stout, you guys have been amazingly helpful...

when you bottled, what type of sugar did you use, and how much, i'm interested if you did the same or if one used a different type.

Thanks

With my first batch of St. Pat's Stout (no cherry juice added) I used turbinado sugar when bottling. But I haven't tasted it yet so I can't tell you if it was successful or not. Will let you know. My first batch, Classic American Light, was brewed by the book using white sugar. I thought I would try turbinado sugar with the dark beer and see how it turns out.

how much did you use, if i may ask....i drank my first batch of the Light that comes w/ the MrB kit, and it was exceptionally bubbly and over carb'd....so i was trying to avoid that happening again.

Pengins27/ MR.BEER has a carbontiondrops that they sell you may want to give them a try some people say they work good I have not use them yet but Im going to try them in my next batch Strelnikov/ How is your st patty comeing along? I dont know how my is going to turn out I still dont care much for the taste keep you posted So CHEERS FOR NOW.

Many people feel that Mr Beer's recommended amount of sugar for carbonating is too much. I use less: 1/2 tsp per 12 oz bottle. As for what to use, in one of my first batches I tried 4 alternatives for carbonating, including honey, maple syrup, & corn syrup as well as regular sugar. My wife and I couldn't tell much difference, and our perceptions of differences were not consistent between us or with what we would have expected, so our conclusion is that the sweetener for carbonation didn't make matter much if at all. The amount used is just too small to have much impact, so I just use the regular sugar for simplicity and ease of use.

The sugar has been easy enough to use that I have not tried carbonation tablets, but what I have seen from others' posts, they should work well too.

Concerning the taste of a beer while it is fermenting and conditioning, enough can be happening that it is hard to tell the difference. I currently have two brews in LBK, one being all-grain and the other starting from a HME (adding steeped grains and a hop boil) to see how close I can come to the first one. In sips left from refractometer readings, one week I thought one of them tasted better, but the following week that comparison had reversed. It's fun to see how things progress, but hard to really tell until it has finished carbonating and conditioning.

"Pengins27" post=358860 said:

how much did you use, if i may ask....i drank my first batch of the Light that comes w/ the MrB kit, and it was exceptionally bubbly and over carb'd....so i was trying to avoid that happening again.

I used the Mr. Beer recommended amount for white sugar, knowing that the turbinado sugar won't carb as much... but that's what I wanted because my Classic American Light primed with white sugar at the Mr. Beer recommendations was way overcarbed. I poured one glass that was 1/8 beer 7/8 foam. I had to wait for the foam to go away when what I really wanted to do was drink beer!

That said, I consider this to be part of the learning experience for what works to suit me for my conditions. I'm still amazed at how simple the Mr. Beer process is and how good the beer is.

"TRIKE" post=358874 said:

Pengins27/ MR.BEER has a carbontiondrops that they sell you may want to give them a try some people say they work good I have not use them yet but Im going to try them in my next batch Strelnikov/ How is your st patty comeing along? I dont know how my is going to turn out I still dont care much for the taste keep you posted So CHEERS FOR NOW.

Fortunately the St. Pat's volcano has subsided and the family no longer feels threatened but last I looked it's still foaming inside the LBK. Which reinforces my theory that there's something in cherry juice that makes yeast go crazy. No scientific proof yet just a theory at this point. But the most powerful wine I've ever made has been... cherry wine. Delicious but really a sleeper and definitely a keeper. But I digress because this is a beer forum after all...

BTW I haven't tasted my St. Pat's/cherry and don't plan to before it matures... because what you taste now is far from what it will eventually turn out to be. I have high hopes at this point...

Just had a St. Pat's after being in the fridge for a week and bottled for 6 1/2. It's much, much better. I still smell a slight extract smell but don't taste it. I do have it a tad bit overcarbed for a stout and a bit colder than I like them but even after it warms up, it's still good.
So, while it's not the best I've brewed, I would brew this again.....this was with the LME included and nothing else added.
Sorry, no pics, just enjoying this one.

Just looked today and the St. Pat's/cherry volcano has finally subsided. All quiet in the LBK. So I'll wait another week or two and bottle it up. Then play the waiting game.

When I bottled up my first batch of St. Pat's Stout I had about 8-1/2 liters. I tried the 1/2 bottle. It wasn't carbed properly (as would be expected) and tasted a bit "young" but was otherwise fine and nicely drinkable, and the turbinado sugar didn't seem to impart the slight cidery taste the white sugar did to the Classic American Light I brewed. Not sure if this was due to the style or the sugar, but the turbinado sugar worked fine as a priming sugar for the stout.

Strelnikov/ I just did a taste test on my st patty cherry /blueberry it tasted not bad so I think Im going to bottle it on the 12th that will be 3weeks in the LBK. How is yours comeing along? I will keep you updated. CHEERS!!!! TRIKE

Foothiller/You have used honey for carbonating. because I was thinking of useing honey for primeing my batch of st patty cherry/blueberry I have going on here do you think it will be okay and if so how much to 1liter because my plan is that I was trying to get a little honey taste too. I think I messed up when Iput the concentrated cherry juce in you said to use 1gt. of 100 % cherry juice and I used 12oz. of the concentrated cherry juice but I did a taste test and it dont taste to bad it will be 3 weeks on april 12 th and ready to bottle Help S.O.S. CHEERS

"TRIKE" post=361350 said:

Strelnikov/ I just did a taste test on my st patty cherry /blueberry it tasted not bad so I think Im going to bottle it on the 12th that will be 3weeks in the LBK. How is yours comeing along? I will keep you updated. CHEERS!!!! TRIKE

All quiet on the homebrew front. No sign of activity. Mine will be 3 weeks on Saturday 4/13. Undecided if I will leave it another week or not before bottling.

Trike - A few questions there:

It's not a problem to have used only 12 oz of cherry juice instead of 1 qt. You just wouldn't get as much of the rich flavor that cherry adds.

One issue in bottle-priming with honey is just logistical. (Bottle priming instead of batch priming is just my personal preference. Batch priming would work, although you may need to do the same things as in bottle priming, to avoid needing to do lots of stirring at a time when you're trying to avoid aeration.). That is, honey is viscous. You can make it easier to work with by heating it, like in a microwave, and mixing it with a small amount of water.

For the amount to use, it might take less volume than sugar, but I'm conservative in my use of sugar, using 1/2 tsp per 12 oz bottle, so personally I would feel OK about using the same 1/2 tsp. (Being conservative on the sugar, I haven't had any bottle bombs yet, and hopefully it will stay that way.)

My own experience is that I couldn't tell much difference between priming with honey and sugar. But Brooklyn Beer Shop's "Beer Making Book" (a source of tasty, innovative recipes) uses honey for priming, so maybe you would be able to find a difference. You would probably find taste tests interesting, as blind tastings by a couple of friends. The Basic Brewing Radio podcast runs some experiments using "triangle tests", where 2 bottles are the same and 1 is different, and they see whether the podcaster's friends can reliably identify the one that is different.

Foothiller/ Thanks for the info. I think Im going to go with the sugar and be done with this batch I think it will be just fine. It all taste good cold anyways.so thanks again CHEERS! Streinikov/ Good to here Im going to bottle mine 4/12 Keep you posted so lets all have a beer and be HAPPY CHEERS!!!!!

Good choice Trike. I've read that honey is a bad choice for priming because various types of honey can be very variable. Enough so that you really need to test the honey before priming to determine how much to add. Sugar is a much more reliable priming source.

I bottled my st pattys cherry. I went with the sugar for priming I'LL see in 4 weeks how it turns out good luck on yours CHEERS!!

Guest System Admin

"Strelnikov" post=361958 said:

Good choice Trike. I've read that honey is a bad choice for priming because various types of honey can be very variable. Enough so that you really need to test the honey before priming to determine how much to add. Sugar is a much more reliable priming source.

It's not necessarily "bad" - just a PITA.

Ask The Hat. He will tell you.

I bottled my St. Pat's with cherry added tonight. It was definitely ready to bottle. I tasted a bit of it just out of curiosity. There was no cherry taste. It tasted like a full-bodied stout (although young). It will be very interesting to see how this brew turns out in a month or two.

An interesting comparison will be if you have versions of the stout with and without the cherry. Your not noticing a cherry flavor is consistent with what I have found, that adding the cherry doesn't taste like cherry, but instead produces a richer flavor overall.

Strelnikov/ How long did you leave it in your keg before bottling it. well I botted my after 3weeks I got 2qt. size ,6,16oz. size and 6,12oz. size bottle of beer.I had about maybe 1more 12oz.bottle left but I didnt bottle.Im very happy with the turn out of beer I got.I hope it turns out to be a good beer. I also bottle my 2nd batch of st patty with out cherry juice and got 8qt.size and 1,12oz.size of beer both the same day I know that is going to be avery good beer.so we will see in a month or so. CHEERS.

I have an Octoberfest that has been in the LBK for 2 wks... Is it too late to add cherry concentrate? Has anyone went this route with the Octoberfest vs St. Pattys? Here is the concentrate I was planning on using... This bottle is 16oz vs 12 oz... What do you guys think?
[attachment=12824]image_2013-04-15.jpg[/attachment]

:chug:

Eurotexan - Your timing is still OK, but make sure the fermentation has settled down even at the 3-week point. With adding more fermentables now, you may need to leave it in the LBK for a total of 4 weeks. 4 weeks in the LBK is still OK, because autolysis wouldn't become a significant issue until then (a cause of off-flavors). I have left my high-gravity brews in the LBK for 4 weeks, and they have come out awesome.

Thanks for your input Homebrew Fool... We'll give it a shot! I'm kind of new to adding fermentables at this stage... How do you determine ABV now? My starting gravity was 1.050... Yesterday I did a reading (see pic)
[attachment=12825]image_2013-04-15-2.jpg[/attachment]

In general, I use QBrew for recipe design and record keeping, plus BrewPal on my iPhone to work with ideas. (Something like BrewSmith would have more features, but I know my way around QBrew.) For the original gravity (OG), I compute it with and without the addition that I will add mid-fermentation, and compare my actual OG to the calculated value that omits the later addition.

I faced an interesting question yesterday, the first time that I added honey after a week of primary fermentation after getting a refractometer 3-4 batches ago. I like to watch my reading each week or so, and did a reading before adding the honey. But that wouldn't be a valid comparison next week. In this case, adding the honey raises the calculated OG from 1.040 to 1.050, so I added 0.010 to yesterday's actual reading, for comparison next week. (For what it's worth, I didn't take hydrometer readings mid-fermentation before, and just used the final gravity to confirm completion at the start of bottling, since I didn't want to waste 4 oz of beer in the hydrometer tube. The refractometer only needs a few drops, so I have better tracking of my brewing now.)

Trike,

I added the cherry after 1 day less than a week brewing, then bottled it up 1 day more than 3 weeks in the LBK. I bottled 10 liters plus abut 4 ounces which I put in a glass and tested.

I have another batch of St. Pat's without the cherry that is conditioning (8.5 liters, of which I consumed .5 liter). I haven't tried them side by side but my nonscientific initial impression is that the cherry adds more body and flavor as Foothiller has experienced.

eurotexan,

I used 1 liter of Meijer's brand pasteurized cherry juice (from concentrate it says). Doesn't say who made it for them.

Just had another St. Pat's Stout almost 2 weeks since my last one. Again, not bad, but still not the kid of stout I want it to be. It needs a bit more body.
It had great head retention and carb. I'm not sure it's going to improve much more past this point.

Beer-lord= How long have you been conditioning your batch of st pattys Total of weeks that is.because I would like to know how long to let my sit up. I have 2 batchs of st pattys 1 with cherry juice and 1without that I bottle on the 4/12/13. THANK YOU AND CHEERS!!!!

First time poster here. Got my very first batch of Bohemian Czech Pilsner fermenting in the LBK right now. Added a lb of light DME for it in addition to a Saaz hop boil. I know, bold for my first time but everything looks good and according to plan on day 6.

Once I bottle, I'm going to start my St. Patty's Day Stout next. Mine didn't come with an LME can or a booster, so I'm thinking about stirring this in addition:
https://www.chicagobrewwerks.com/briess-traditional-dark-dme-1-lb/dp/464

Would that be a good choice or is there something better from that store? Should I stir that in while heating up, bring to a boil, then "flame out" and stir in the HME? Would the Mr. Beer pack of yeast that came with the can be sufficient?

Also, what cheery/raspberry add-in should I look for at the local grocery store? Or maybe something from Whole Foods?

Thanks!

If you're just starting out I would stick with the LME soft packs from Mr. Beer.

I used 1 qt of pasteurized unsweetened cherry juice but it hasn't finished conditioning yet so I can't tell you how it turned out.

This turned out great for my dad @myhorselikesbeer, Nice smooth taste and after two or three with a nice steak you are feeling prettttty good.

I let the St. Pat's Irish Stout with and without the cherry juice condition for over 6 months.

The batch without the cherry juice is really excellent, much better than when conditioned for only a month or two.

The batch with the cherry juice is drinkable but not really that great, and at least for me not worth repeating.