Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcowboys107

Northwest Pale Ale Hops

I bought the pale ale deluxe refill with an ounce of Cascade hops. What would you recommend for the hops? I'm guessing 1/4 oz. for fifteen minutes for flavoring and dry hopping another half ounce for aroma after the vigorous stage of fermentation passes. Sound about right? I don't have calculation software so I'm guessing. I really want o stay true to style but want to add freshness. Thanks!

I would expect more flavor by going longer like 20 - 25 min. Based on this chart.

[attachment=12244]hop_utilization-lrg.jpg[/attachment]

I would also suggest you check out qBrew. Its a great program and its free.

Typically you don't want to boil the hops with HME. Boiling HME can change the intended hop profile of the finished beer. If you intend to boil the hops with this refill kit, I would boil with some of the LME, remove from heat, then stir in the rest of the LME and HME.

Depending on what you want to get out of the added hops will determine how long to boil. Nightman's chart is a good one. 22 minutes is the boil time to get the max flavor out of the hops.

However, I'm curious as to what you want to get from the extra hops. Have you tried this recipe without any additions? Does it need more flavor or aroma? Blindly adding hops for random boil times may not achieve what you want. I would suggest making it as is first, then see what your palate tells you is missing.

I'm looking for added freshness. Refills are usually good as is but hops are mainly bittering in characteristic than aroma etc. I love how Sierra Nevada hits my nose with its aroma and on first step it has its floral/sweet taste.

Not sure what you mean by "freshness." If you want the added aroma and flavor of the hops, do a boil for 22 mins with 1/2 ounce of the hops for the max flavor, and then the other 1/2 oz at 7 mins for max aroma.

Looking at the profile of this refill, it looks to be on the high side of an APA for IBUs already. I would be careful about too long of a flavor boil as that will add more bitterness as well. If what you are going for is aroma, then I would just dry hop 1/2 oz and call it good. Aroma is also a component of flavor/taste, so that may be all it takes for you.

I've brewed this one straight up and thought it needed a kick, too.

I think you'd be fine with 1/4oz at 20 minutes and a 1/4 dry hop.

Everybody's tastes are different so you might find that you want to do a bitterness boil in the future, but that's hard to tell until to try it.

"JimH" post=352519 said:

Not sure what you mean by "freshness." If you want the added aroma and flavor of the hops, do a boil for 22 mins with 1/2 ounce of the hops for the max flavor, and then the other 1/2 oz at 7 mins for max aroma.

[attachment=12245]hoputilization_2013-03-19.jpg[/attachment]

I boiled 15 mins. 1/4 oz and at flame out the last half. I tasted the wort and tasted pretty good. I'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice.

"dcowboys107" post=352820 said:

I boiled 15 mins. 1/4 oz and at flame out the last half. I tasted the wort and tasted pretty good. I'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice.

My personal opinion is that you made a better choice for flavor and aroma additions. I have a low opinion of that particular chart. For my money, this one is much more accurate, even if it's not as pretty. It's from The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing, by Charlie Papazian.
[attachment=12262]hopsgraph2.jpg[/attachment]