Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
nol1rxr

2nd brew secrets

i just purchased a octoberfest lager to be my second ever brew. other than a good sanitizing of the lbk are there any little secrets i need need to know before i start the brew?

Patience

3 weeks in the LBK (unless you have a hydrometer to know it's done fermenting)
4 weeks in the bottle
3 days in the fridge

"jivex5k" post=352511 said:

Patience

3 weeks in the LBK (unless you have a hydrometer to know it's done fermenting)
4 weeks in the bottle
3 days in the fridge

+1 to Jive x and no LBK pervin..lol

Also, take your time in your brewing. Make a small checklist of the steps you need to accomplish in the order you need to do them. You don't want to pitch your yeast before pouring your wort into the LBK. That may not be a good example, but hey, it could happen.

+1 Jim H.

It's easy to screw something up when you get in a hurry. Take your time brewing it, bottling it and allowing it to condition, and in the end you will have good beer.

Not sure which secrets you already know, so this could be repetitive for you.

Tilt the LBK by propping a wedge of any sort under the spigot end so the trub naturally flows away from spigot for a cleaner transfer to bottles.

Cold crash for a few days after fermenting, for an even tighter trub and cleaner beer going into bottles. Yes, the beer will still clarify with time in the bottles, anyway, but this is just taking the express lane, for what it's worth.

Keep that temp down, especially in the first week of fermenting. The wort heats up as much as 10 degrees more than the air temp around the LBK. This can really cause off flavors.

There's tons more. Hopefully others will continue to roll in for you tonight.

Good luck.

When cleaning the LBK, don't forget to remove the spigot and clean it and the area it seals to on the LBK. Lots of nasties can hide in the crevices.

Make sure you let the sanitizer dissolve completely (there should be very little powder left at the bottom). Sometimes this takes a lot of stirring and patience, use luke warm water to help it dissolve.

Sanitize EVERYTHING that is going to come in contact with the wort or the LBK.

Don't pitch your yeast until you know the wort temps are acceptable (using refrigerated water will help here) to avoid off flavors.

Stir the wort in the LBK vigorously to aerate prior to pitching yeast, stirring the yeast into the wort after pitching is a personal preference, they'll seek out their own space if you don't.

PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE.

thanks for all the advise. i cleaned and sanitized my lbk after bottled my 1st brew and will clean and sanitize again before putting in another. i am going to use store bought bottled water this time although i am undecided on using distilled are purified. i also have a power cooler i have plugged up to see what kind of temp control i can get using a digital grilling thermamatue to check reading before putting lbk in to fermint and it is big enough to place bottles in after lbk comes out to use for bottle conditioning. from what i have read in othe post the fermiting temp needs to be 60-70 deg.f due to the wort warming itself during the process.

"nol1rxr" post=352540 said:

thanks for all the advise. i cleaned and sanitized my lbk after bottled my 1st brew and will clean and sanitize again before putting in another. i am going to use store bought bottled water this time although i am undecided on using distilled are purified. i also have a power cooler i have plugged up to see what kind of temp control i can get using a digital grilling thermamatue to check reading before putting lbk in to fermint and it is big enough to place bottles in after lbk comes out to use for bottle conditioning. from what i have read in othe post the fermiting temp needs to be 60-70 deg.f due to the wort warming itself during the process.

let me know how it works. i had consitered an electric cooler but couldn't find one that i thought could be set warm enough. granted i gave it up after just a couple hours research.

I brewed the Oktoberfest with an addition of 1 pound of DME. It is simple enough to add. I would not use distilled or purified water as it is poor in minerals needed by the yeast. Regular bottled spring water or good tap water will suffice. I use Deer Park brand spring water and have been very satisfied. Many of us brew at the lower end of the temperature range for the yeast, low to mid 60s, and the brews are fine. Lastly, wait the full three weeks fermenting and at least 4 weeks in the bottle. Longer in the bottle is better. My Oktoberfest was great at six to eight weeks.

Agree with Brian N.; DON'T use distilled or reverse osmosis purified water, use bottled spring water or boiled (15 minutes minimum) tap water.
I just drank the first bottle of a batch of Oktoberfest and I'm really pleased with it.

I'd recommend learning how to batch prime - if you're not already doing it. I've had issues getting consistent carbonation by bottle priming.

Otherwise, the MB FAQs page has some good tips on how to get more consistency when bottle priming (http://community.mrbeer.com/frequently-asked-questions?view=category&id=238, under the topic "My beer has been fermenting for several weeks. Is it still good?")

Good luck!

"Joechianti" post=352526 said:

Not sure which secrets you already know, so this could be repetitive for you.

Tilt the LBK by propping a wedge of any sort under the spigot end so the trub naturally flows away from spigot for a cleaner transfer to bottles.

Cold crash for a few days after fermenting, for an even tighter trub and cleaner beer going into bottles. Yes, the beer will still clarify with time in the bottles, anyway, but this is just taking the express lane, for what it's worth.

+1 on both of these. I was thrilled on how much clearer my bottles turned out from doing these two simple things. Great tip.

Batch priming is Brewer's Choice.

I don't do it and I don't have any issues with consistent carbing.....although I am meticulous to a fault.

as i said in another thread i am new and this is just my second brew so i want to keep it as simple as i can until i get my feet wet. my 1st brew turned out pretty good after getting advise from the borg and throwing away the mrb instructions. i am also meticulous and think i can get by with bottle priming for know but may try it after getting more into the brewing game.
i would like to get more info on cold crashing due to the fact i dont know what this means.

cold crashing simply is putting the lbk in the fridge for 3 days. the cold will put the yeasts to sleep and most of the stuff in suspension will sink to the bottom. the trub will become more compact and harder to disturbe so less gunk in you bottles. don't worry about carbonation there will still be more than enough yeast to carbonate the beer.

Guest System Admin

+1

I can't add anything to what JJ just wrote.

That, in a nutshell, is cold crashing.

it is also Brewer's Choice!