Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Domgish

Fruit Question!

Hello everyone! First of all, my first home brew tasted great! I bottled it and got too excited and ended up drinking it only after 2 weeks but was still very happy!

My question now is about brewing a batch with fruit. I bought the Boysenberry recipe kit which comes with the Cerveza, Boyzenberries, and booster. When is the best time to add the fruit to the fermenter? Any suggestions for my first recipe kit would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Dom

After a week. Sanitize blender, puree, open lid and gently pour in. Close lid.

According to the recipe on the site, it says to add it right away. Is it better to add if after a week?

Guest System Admin

You will find that the tips and tricks given by the Borg don;t necessarily follow the MrBeer instructions. In fact, most of the time we never do.

The REASON why you add the pureed fruit after one week is.......the primary active fermentation takes place during the first 5 to 7 days. This is when the brew is most active and the production of mad CO2 will "scrub" away most of the flavor and aroma due to the fruit being highly fermentable.

HME+Fruit+booster? that seems out of wack to me. Wouldnt it be better to add a LME or DME instead of the booster?..or am I wrong? of course it might throw the flavors off.

i'm with you, i thought an ME was better than a booster. however i have never used fruit and eagerly await an answer.

"ChizzleD" post=352758 said:

HME+Fruit+booster? that seems out of wack to me. Wouldnt it be better to add a LME or DME instead of the booster?..or am I wrong? of course it might throw the flavors off.

Mr. Beer still has booster in many of the recipes. I assume, as you noted, that it's to not alter the flavor. I've been substituting plain light LME for most of them. I made Jamaica Mon with just over a pound of LME instead of 8.8 ounces and a bag of booster. Blue Patriot with 10 oz of LME and 4 oz of booster (because I have one final bag).

Some of these recipes have a high ratio of sugars (fruit and booster) to malt (HME). Another reason to swap LME or DME for the booster.

Due to a family sensitivity to corn products, booster is not on our list of desired additives.

"RickBeer" post=352775 said:

Due to a family sensitivity to corn products, booster is not on our list of desired additives.

wow! and you live in the corn belt? that must really suck at times be a little like being allergic to grass and moving to kansas.

Michigan isn't the corn belt, although our colors are Maize and Blue!

It's not an allergy, it's a sensitivity. They have to be smart about eating corn products. So, putting it in something that isn't needed we don't do. Otherwise, eat it in moderation and you're fine.

Comes down to how much of the fruit flavor you want in the beer. The later you add it in the less time the yeast will have to eat it up so the more fruit flavor you'll have.

i just recently bottled a Cherry Wheat and I added the cherries a week into fermentation. Haven't had a chance to taste it yet, but my understanding is adding it at a week will give you a subtle flavor, after two weeks a stronger flavor and if you add it at the beginning you'll barely be able to taste any of it.

"RickBeer" post=352676 said:

After a week. Sanitize blender, puree, open lid and gently pour in. Close lid.

I would recommend this way - a friend brewed it up this way and the fruit flavor was MUCH more present. :chug:

Good info as always RickBeer and Wings Fan.

Since it's a recipe, the booster may work okay and deliver a good beer with adequate conditioning time, but personally I think I'd add light UME/DME instead of the booster to ensure better mouthfeel and a more substantial beer.

I plan on making a Leine's Sunset Wheat clone attempt (haven't seen a recipe for one, anyone?). This beer has a distinctive blueberry note, so pureed blueberries one week into primary fermentation is what I'm going to do, hopefully it turns out.

If your looking for dryer, less sweet beer the booster is the way to go. May help the fruit to shine.

I'm sure it's in many recipes to bring the cost in line. But any ingredient has an effect on the taste, possibly for the better.

"RickBeer" post=352786 said:

Sorry Rick, but Michigan is part of the corn belt. Well to be exact Southern Michigan. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia (I know, I know, it's not the most reliable thing on the planet!):

The Corn Belt is a region of the Midwest of the United States where corn is the predominant cash crop. Primarily, it includes Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio - approximately 50% of all corn grown in the U.S. is from these four states. The Corn Belt also includes parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, and Kentucky.

"k9dude" post=352835 said:

Sorry Rick, but Michigan is part of the corn belt. Well to be exact Southern Michigan. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia (I know, I know, it's not the most reliable thing on the planet!):

The Corn Belt is a region of the Midwest of the United States where corn is the predominant cash crop. Primarily, it includes Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio - approximately 50% of all corn grown in the U.S. is from these four states. The Corn Belt also includes parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, and Kentucky.

I'll raise you a Wikipedia with a Britannica. :laugh: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/137792/Corn-Belt

"RickBeer" post=352836 said:

I'll raise you a Wikipedia with a Britannica. :laugh: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/137792/Corn-Belt

Okay fine but how about your very own Michigan Department of Agriculture? :P
http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-2961_2971_34984-77056--,00.html

"k9dude" post=352842 said:

"RickBeer" post=352836 said:

Okay fine but how about your very own Michigan Department of Agriculture? :P
http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-2961_2971_34984-77056--,00.html

Touche'. Well played sir.

I added the fruit for this recipe after one week like others have recommended. Another recommendation I saw when searching the forums was to add one can of fruit as Mr. Beer recommends and then another a week into fermentation. I only had one can, so I did not try this way. At bottling, I was pleasantly surprised with this recipe's taste! Also, I recommend keeping the booster for this recipe. It adds to the dryness you want with a tart fruit beer while boosting the ABV.

If you add it in a week later I assume you don't want to stir any? Just slowly pour the puréed fruit in and close the lid? Will it mix evenly on its own?