Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dalydog

Oooops?

Last night, while brewing my 5th batch (Canadian Blonde Deluxe), I added the yeast to the LBK and was admiring the aroma, when I realized that I forgot to stir the fermenting wort. The night before, I was reading the little Mr. Beer book and saw that they recommended in the past that one stirs the yeast into the fermenting wort. So, I proceeded to stir the top-fermenting yeast into the fermenting wort. What are the repurcussions, if any?

[attachment=12277]welcomebeer_2013-03-21.gif[/attachment]
stirring is personal preference no harm no foul rahab

Fermentation won't happen without yeast. As long as the wort was at a good temp when you stirred in the yeast, you are fine.

Guest System Admin

Relax.

Don't Worry.

Have A Home Brew!

If this all happened last night, your wort was not likely fermenting yet. The yeast wakes up from its dormancy and starts fulfilling it's biological imperative of reproducing before much in the way of fermentation goes on. "Top fermenting" is a term that kinda sorta distinguishes ale yeasts from "bottom fermenting" lager yeasts. In truth, both yeasts are found throughout the fermenting wort while it is doing its thing, and they both settle to the bottom when done.

The repercussions of stirring will be a cleaner tasting beer, because while yeast can and does function anaerobically, it will reproduce and ferment better if it is able to use oxygen to help it reproduce. If you want to do all you can for your yeast, whip the snot out of the wort with a whisk. Whisk it until there's a froth inches thick and your arm is sore. Then do it some more. That'll get your yeasties partying. :party:

"Dalydog" post=353178 said:

What are the repurcussions, if any?

The end of mankind as we know it today... :evil:

"RickBeer" post=353246 said:

"Dalydog" post=353178 said:

The end of mankind as we know it today... :evil:

Unfortunately this.

But seriously nothing will happen - your yeast will find all the fermentables to eat up.

Guest System Admin

Hellfire and brimstone.

You better ferment as normal, bottle this up and then send it to a professional for proper handling........that would be...................ME!

LOL