Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ga Ced

Mr Beer Octoberfest old recipe first taste

[attachment]trim.YRWj2E.MOV[/attachment]

Poured first bottle of Octoberfest old recipe. Very little head, no lacing, and well carbonated. Overall I am satisfied with the taste and happy to have a successful batch.

Please take a look at the video and photos and give your thoughts on color, clarity, carbonation etc.. Thanks guys
[attachment]trim.YRWj2E.MOV[/attachment]

Sorry! But for some reason I can't load the video from my smart phone. On my second pour I had more lacing, the beer is going down very smooth and I have a buzz. I think I will move away from 1 liter bottles in the future because I like to enjoy just 12 oz after work. This will keep me from wasting beer if I don't finish the whole liter

If you pour 1 and reseal the PET, you'll find that tomorrow the carbonation is fine.

I just posted about yeast for Oktoberfest, but quickly, it came out very good. Glad you are enjoying it. Did you brew it with any additions? Perhaps a few details could help others recommend improvements.

Yesterday I had my first glass of Oktoberfest, and my results were as you describe. I'm pretty happy with it. A little better head and a little more body would be nice, but I've had worse beer lots of times.
Tomorrow I bottle Winter Dark Ale.

"Brian N." post=353330 said:

I just posted about yeast for Oktoberfest, but quickly, it came out very good. Glad you are enjoying it. Did you brew it with any additions? Perhaps a few details could help others recommend improvements.

I didn't add any additions to the brew, I brewed as is. I had the ingredients for over a year since I had moved from one state to another. I fermented for 18 days, carb/condt for 3, and cracked the first bottle open in a week. It's a drinkable beer but not amazing

"pspearing" post=353332 said:

Yesterday I had my first glass of Oktoberfest, and my results were as you describe. I'm pretty happy with it. A little better head and a little more body would be nice, but I've had worse beer lots of times.
Tomorrow I bottle Winter Dark Ale.

Good stuff, I have the high country Canadian draft conditioning, my coopers lager, conditioning and will brew my Cowgirl honey light this weekend. I'm excited about the cowgirl because it will be my first time using hops.

Next time try adding some extra malt (I added 1 pound DME) and let it ferment longer. A full 4 weeks or more conditioning at room temperature is needed for the beer to mature. These steps will add flavor, body and mellow any off flavors. I also used Safale US-05 yeast as suggested the LHBS. I think the yeast added to the crisp finish, clean taste, almost lager like. I also ferment and condition at 64-66 degrees F.

The closest LHBS is over an hour away from me, I plan to make a visit as soon as I get a chance. I really want to step it up a little

[attachment=12920]image_2013-04-21.jpg[/attachment]
Wow! Listen to the Borg! My Octoberfest has improved greatly since my first pour over a month ago and I attribute that to patience.

Now I'm enjoying good beer while watching the NBA playoffs.

tough waiting.... 4 weeks to go before I get to taste my octoberfest. just put a patriot lager into the lbk. brew # 2. :)

"windowpane" post=364930 said:

tough waiting.... 4 weeks to go before I get to taste my octoberfest. just put a patriot lager into the lbk. brew # 2. :)

It's really tough to wait, I have 3 weeks remaining before I can try the Cowgirl Honey Light. Most likely I will pour a glass 1 week early.