Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christ872

New thought...IBA

Doing some tinkering around online...came across something called an Imerial Black Ale (also known as a Cascadian Dark Ale)...basically your IPA only black.

Simple recipe and I have a citrus hop I'd like to try.

3 Lb Briess Golden Light LME
14 oz (x2) Briess Golden Light DME
3 oz Roasted Barley (steep)
8 oz Carafa I (steep)

1 oz Spalt @ 60 min. (bittering)
1.25 oz Galena @ 7 min (aroma)
0.75 oz Galena @ 4 days dry hop

American Ale Blend (WLP060)

============

Curious if anyone has had this style or has any comments on my thought on this recipe

I've seen recipes of Dark IPA's but have never tried one. I'd think it is the best of both worlds malty sweetness with a bite, and a hoppy aroma. If ya do this let us know how it turns out.

Yep...I'll do it.

Never used Galena before...so I hope it does have a quality citrus kick of aroma since I am adding it as the aroma hop and in the dry hop.

I'm researching a lot of recipes and this should be a fair shot at it. We'll see.

I make CDAs a lot, I have always used NW hops, usually Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus, Centennial, & Simcoe hops. I have never had the Galena before... Is that the citrus hop you are referring to? If you have plenty of hops, I would suggest throwing some in at flameout as well. Looks cool, let us know how it turns out.

Here's the FYI on GALENA hop:

Galena Pellet Hops (1 oz)

Galena is an excellent high alpha acid hop with balanced bittering properties combined with a good aroma profile. It can be used in most English-style and American ales.

Possible Substitutions: Nugget.

Technical Specifications:
Aroma: citrusy
Alpha Acids: Approx. 12.8%
Beta Acids: 7 - 9% w/w
Co-Humulone: 38 - 42% of alpha acids
Total Oil: 0.9 - 1.2 ml/100 grams
Storageability: 75 - 80% alpha acids remaining after 6 months of storage at 20° C
Myrcene: 55 - 60% of whole oil
Humulene: 10 -15% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 3 - 5% of whole oil
Farnesene:

I have drank IBAs and love them. My LHBS has one on tap every once and awhile. Bassman and I made one for the RCE 2013. I have not tasted it yet it will only have been in the bottle a week on Saturday.

Pulled this from the Charlie Papazian Brewer's Association thing...so it's not a BJCP guide...but just as well:

American-Style India Black Ale

American-style India black ale has medium high to high hop bitterness, flavor and aroma with medium-high alcohol content, balanced with a medium body. The style is further characterized by a moderate degree of caramel malt character and medium to strong dark roasted malt flavor and aroma. High astringency and high degree of burnt roast malt character should be absent. Fruity, floral and herbal character from hops of all origins may contribute to aroma and flavor.

? Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.056-1.075
? Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.012-1.018
? Alcohol by Volume (6 -7.5%
? Bitterness (IBU) 50-70
? Color SRM 25+

Last night, in anticipation of this brew, I drank a Heavy Seas - Black Cannon IPA:

Our brewers modeled this black IPA after Loose Cannon, with a slight change: it’s almost as if they burnt the brew. Deep-dark ruby, Black Cannon has a roasted character from Blackprinz and Roasted Barley malts, but a heaping portion of hops—in the kettle, hopback, and fermenter—impart flavor and aroma. Floral and pine notes show up in the nose. The mouthfeel is very smooth.

BEER DETAILS

Style: Black IPA
ABV: 7.25%
IBUs: 45
Availability: January-March
Hops: Warrior, Simcoe, Palisade, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo
Malts: 2-Row, Munich, Caramalt, Blackprinz, Roasted Barley

I would agree that the mouthfeel is smooth. I didn't get so much pine in the nose, more floral and citrus. The Munich wasn't really there. At 45 IBUs that comes out to about a 0.62 BU:GU ratio. Although you could tell the hops were there...it was not as forward as I expected. Normally that's a positive, but in this instance, I was expecting more so it was negative. I did get hints of the Roasted Barley...but might like a little more. The notes on Blackprinz reflect some toasty notes at higher percentages...based on that, I'd reckon this was used at a lower percent as there's no toasty notes to my palate. With Heavy Seas listing the above hops...to only have 45 IBUs, my guess would be that you're talking about very small percentages of each. With Warrior @ 16% and Simcoe @ 13% and 4 other hops in the 6-9% range...I just can't imagine there being too much there.

Based on this beer...I'm going to look at an IBU of about 53 or 54 using a fewer number of hops at a greater proportion

I'm a hop head I like my IPA's in the 75-95 range leaning to the higher end with half or more of the bittering coming from late additions.

I'm sure this beer will turn out just the way you envisioned. Keep us posted on the progress.

I've had both RJ Rockers - Black Perle and Black Cannon and both are quite tasty. My palate is only now getting to where I can enjoy IPAs but even before then I was fond of Black IPAs. The Black Perle is just delicious.

I bottled this on Sunday - 4/21. The FG turned in at 1.020 (my projection was 1.019...so, I'm pretty good there). Which leaves me at a good 7.5%ABV. The IBUs on this is a measely 52. I was a little worried that it could be very malt heavy...but surprisingly the FG Hydro sample was very good.

I have a boatload of Galena as an aroma hop (both in boil and in dry hop) but maybe the next round of this I'll crank up something heavy in the flavor end of things. I wanted to let some of the malt shine through on the flavor end...but I'm happy beause it really opens the door on revisions.

I like the name IBA. There is a local brewery that makes something similar but they call it a Black IPA, which is quite the oxymoron.

"Christ872" post=353403 said:

Yep...I'll do it.

Never used Galena before...so I hope it does have a quality citrus kick of aroma since I am adding it as the aroma hop and in the dry hop.

I'm researching a lot of recipes and this should be a fair shot at it. We'll see.

Galena is my hop of choice for stouts.