Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Cider keeps foaming out

Recommended Posts

OK, so I made a small batch of cider back in November. So far i have opened two bottles and each time the bottle overflows as soon as i pop the top off. The first time it made a helluva mess because i wasn't expecting it. The second time I was in the kitchen and all it did was spill out onto the counter. The cider is a bit on the dry side but that's OK, I just cut it with apple juice. Recipe is listed below. Anyone have an idea why this keeps happening? My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.

1 gallon 100% apple juice
2 cups table sugar
11 grams champagne yeast
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

Fermented 21 days at 66 degrees
Bottled in 12 oz glass bottles using 1/4 teaspoon sugar/bottle
Conditioned over 4 months now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Boe1971" post=353485 said:

My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.


BINGO!!! Was the cider completely clear when you bottled? Normally, that's a good indication that the cider is done fermenting, which takes about a month to 6 weeks in my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"russki" post=353527 said:

"Boe1971" post=353485 said:

My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.


BINGO!!! Was the cider completely clear when you bottled? Normally, that's a good indication that the cider is done fermenting, which takes about a month to 6 weeks in my experience.

I dont remember what it looked like but I do remember it was still kinda sweet. I just assumed it should be because it's cider. But after I tasted the first one and it was dry like a white wine i knew I had done something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cider can be a tricky beast for some people. I have had nothing but problems making cider. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of sugar in the recipe so it likely fermented dry. A lot of people seem to use lactose to increase the residual sweetness of the cider.

How long has the cider been in the fridge before you opened them? I find that with homebrew if you just bring it down to temperature and then open it there seems to be foaming issues but if it's been there for 24+ hours it pours fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Duff" post=353901 said:

Cider can be a tricky beast for some people. I have had nothing but problems making cider. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of sugar in the recipe so it likely fermented dry. A lot of people seem to use lactose to increase the residual sweetness of the cider.

How long has the cider been in the fridge before you opened them? I find that with homebrew if you just bring it down to temperature and then open it there seems to be foaming issues but if it's been there for 24+ hours it pours fine.


Hmmm, I do not remember how long the first one was in but I do know that I "flash chilled" the second one. I stuck it in the freezer for 45 minutes to chill it down enough to drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...