Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Cider keeps foaming out

OK, so I made a small batch of cider back in November. So far i have opened two bottles and each time the bottle overflows as soon as i pop the top off. The first time it made a helluva mess because i wasn't expecting it. The second time I was in the kitchen and all it did was spill out onto the counter. The cider is a bit on the dry side but that's OK, I just cut it with apple juice. Recipe is listed below. Anyone have an idea why this keeps happening? My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.

1 gallon 100% apple juice
2 cups table sugar
11 grams champagne yeast
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

Fermented 21 days at 66 degrees
Bottled in 12 oz glass bottles using 1/4 teaspoon sugar/bottle
Conditioned over 4 months now

"Boe1971" post=353485 said:

My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.

BINGO!!! Was the cider completely clear when you bottled? Normally, that's a good indication that the cider is done fermenting, which takes about a month to 6 weeks in my experience.

"russki" post=353527 said:

"Boe1971" post=353485 said:

My theory is I did not ferment long enough and once i bottled it kept fermenting in the bottle, although I have not had any bottle bombs.

BINGO!!! Was the cider completely clear when you bottled? Normally, that's a good indication that the cider is done fermenting, which takes about a month to 6 weeks in my experience.

I dont remember what it looked like but I do remember it was still kinda sweet. I just assumed it should be because it's cider. But after I tasted the first one and it was dry like a white wine i knew I had done something wrong.

Cider can be a tricky beast for some people. I have had nothing but problems making cider. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of sugar in the recipe so it likely fermented dry. A lot of people seem to use lactose to increase the residual sweetness of the cider.

How long has the cider been in the fridge before you opened them? I find that with homebrew if you just bring it down to temperature and then open it there seems to be foaming issues but if it's been there for 24+ hours it pours fine.

"Duff" post=353901 said:

Cider can be a tricky beast for some people. I have had nothing but problems making cider. It doesn't seem like you have a lot of sugar in the recipe so it likely fermented dry. A lot of people seem to use lactose to increase the residual sweetness of the cider.

How long has the cider been in the fridge before you opened them? I find that with homebrew if you just bring it down to temperature and then open it there seems to be foaming issues but if it's been there for 24+ hours it pours fine.

Hmmm, I do not remember how long the first one was in but I do know that I "flash chilled" the second one. I stuck it in the freezer for 45 minutes to chill it down enough to drink.