Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tippsy

Flavor Essences

Do flavor essences need to be "sanitized" before being added to a bottle eg boiled with a little water first? I'm thinking about adding a couple of drops of vanilla essence in future when priming the bottles. The small bottle I have says "non alcoholic". Thank you.

1. Make sure it's REAL vanilla extract, not imitation. Most real vanilla extract is alcohol based.
2. It's sanitary, no need to boil.

If you're using vanilla extract, that stuff is concentrated and goes a LOOOONG way. IF you batch prime, a few drops should do an entire LBK. If you're thinking of adding a drop or two to each bottle, it would be overpowering. If you have some sort of vanilla "flavoring" that is less concentrated and meant to be used in this manner, then you may be ok adding it to the bottles.

Great pointers, thanks.

The bottle says Rayner's from the UK so it appears authentic, altho I like the ideal of using alcohol based essences in future.

My batch priming gear won't arrive until probably week 3 of my fermenting! Luckily I've read on this forum that 3 weeks in the LBK should be fine. If it's going to arrive later, I'll just wait till the next batch cycle to experiment.