Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Mr. Beer Carbonation Drops

Anyone using the Mr. Beer Carbonation Drops?

I find bottle priming a big hassle. I primed a few bottles with the Brewers Best carb tabs, but haven't been able to test the beer to see how well they worked. I've heard good and bad things about them.

I found dropping tabs in is far easier (and less messy) than doing it with a spoon.

Any advise for using Mr. Beers carbo drops? Are the Mr. Beer recommendations correct or are they too high? It looks like it's based on their recommendations for priming with sugar, so I assume they are also high. Check it out here:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1265/nm/Mr.Beer%20Carbonation%20Drops

Anyone have really good or really bad results with these?

Thanks!

Or as they were originally known, Coopers Carb Drops. They work very well; drop and cap. 1 per a 12 oz bottle, 2 per 22 oz. Perfect carb every time.

"calledthestig" post=353660 said:

OR use Domino's dots like I have done for the past 4-5 batches.

1 per 12oz & 3 per 1L bottle

Yes, they work equally well. The only issue with Dots is they don't easily fit into some bottles (thicker glass ones).

"russki" post=353668 said:

Yes, they work equally well. The only issue with Dots is they don't easily fit into some bottles (thicker glass ones).

Hmm I have never had a dot not fit into a bottle, interesting. Never thought about that though.

Let me look into these drops as well though so I have a backup plan. :chug:

I used the Coopers Drops when they were still selling them and they work great. Takes all the guesswork out of bottle priming but they are more costly. I only batch prime now so I'm happy with that method.

Or these:
ch.sugarcubes.gif
1/2 Litre Bottles = 1 cube
1 Litre Bottles = 2 cubes

Done.

It ain't "precise" as you'd get if you followed Screwy's Calculator but.....I fully embrace the RDWHAHB concept and these work for me.

+1, been using them for over a year now with MB, Sierra Nevada and Sweetwater bottles with no issues.

Bottle priming does not "have" to be a PITA.

Use the right tools.....or the tools that work for you as we've noted......and you're golden.

I like the theory of batch priming but I'm basically lazy and if C&H cubes work.....why screw with success?

It's.................................

(wait for it)

B) Brewer's Choice!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Are the Domino Dots the Mr. Beer recommended amount or are they less? I am just asking because it seems as though Mr. Beer is a little high on their measurements. I know I use a little less sugar then they recommend.

"Deejay" post=353738 said:

Are the Domino Dots the Mr. Beer recommended amount or are they less? I am just asking because it seems as though Mr. Beer is a little high on their measurements. I know I use a little less sugar then they recommend.

Each dot is 1/2 tsp so they are a bit under Mr. Beer recommended amounts which I think lead to perfect carb especially in 12oz bottles.

"calledthestig" post=353744 said:

"Deejay" post=353738 said:

Each dot is 1/2 tsp so they are a bit under Mr. Beer recommended amounts which I think lead to perfect carb especially in 12oz bottles.

Awesome you just made my life easier :cheer: now just to wait til late summer so I can upgrade and batch prime!

so I can upgrade and batch prime!

Ummm.........let's step back a bit here...........batch priming isn't an "upgrade".....it's Brewer's Choice.

If you want to split hairs, it actually requires more steps and has more potential to expose the brew to mistakes (like oxygenation) made in the racking and priming process IMHO.

Nothing against it but just wanting to be clear.

The MrBeer tool for bottle priming is super easy to use also.

Sugar Measure
This makes adding priming sugar to your bottles a quick and easy process. The self-leveling cylinders give you a "scoop and pour" method that will make adding priming sugar to any size bottle a breeze.

[attachment=12322]image_2013-03-22-2.jpg[/attachment]

I was happy to see the carb drops until I saw the recommendations. For example, 3/4 of a drop for a 12 oz bottle, 2 1/2 for a liter bottle. If I'm slicing them into quarters and halves it's really not that convenient. Of course I'm so new at this I think even bottle priming is great fun. My wife makes fun of me.