Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JimH

My first hard cider!

Made up my first 1 gallon batch of hard cider for SWMBO!

~1gallon water
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1/4 lb lactose
1/2 sugar
1 pack champagne yeast

Relatively simple, but it should turn out well. I hope SWMBO likes it! I call it Goodnight Delight, because it should come in around 10% ABV, and well, SWMBO is a bit of a lightweight, so....... :woohoo:

It should John, you helped me with the recipe!

Question, is that 1/2 pound of sugar? Also, are you carbonating this and if so, are you using the normal amount of priming sugar? How long do you ferment? Condition? I am thinking about making this for my wife.

Thanks!

Yes half pound sugar. Guess I forgot my units. I plan on fermenting for 3-4 weeks and carbing. Not sure how but probably normal amounts. 1/2 teaspoon for 12 oz bottles.

One more question for ya, if I wanted to lower ABV could I just cut the sugar in half?

The cider I made, I put 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in 1 bottle. It was way better than all the other bottles that were plain.

I'm interested to know how hard the Mr. Beer hard cider is to make and what the brewing technique is. One of my favorite brews is crab apple wine. I used to have a large Dolgo crab apple tree in my front yard that bore gobs of crab apples that made great wine. But it was too close to our driveway and it dropped apples onto the driveway and cars and made a huge mess. Not to mention the bees that the smushed apples attracted. My wife got stung too many times and she made me cut it down several years ago. I planted another Dolgo crab in my back yard in an out-of-the-way place but it will be several years before it gets big enough to bear enough apples to make wine.

Interesting stuff happening with this. I have never used champagne yeast or known anybody who made hard cider before so I don't know what to expect. My blowoff tube is bubbling but I dont see much else for signs of fermentarion. No bubbles in the fermentor. Is this normal?

My experience making wine has shown that you won't see bubbles in the fermentor but if you're seeing bubbles in the blowoff tube that's a good sign that everything is going well.

Lol good night delight! Love it. :laugh:

Sounds like a small dose to teh swmbo would create some quiet time for mr n00b. :party:

Will be making some cider soon.

"JimH" post=354136 said:

Interesting stuff happening with this. I have never used champagne yeast or known anybody who made hard cider before so I don't know what to expect. My blowoff tube is bubbling but I dont see much else for signs of fermentarion. No bubbles in the fermentor. Is this normal?

Yes, this is very normal

Just tried the nong pps cider brewed in January..man is this good stuff thanks to Yankeedag for the recipe..Just purchased the ingredients to make this one again. It was by far the easiest, fastest, and cheapest brew day :chug: and a damn good cider.

PPS
2 Gallons Costco apple Juice (Pressed apple juice)
1 Pound Dark Brown sugar
1 Cup Lactose
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 pack Lavin EC1118 Champaign yeast

Fermented for 28 degrees at a temp of around 60 degrees might have dropped to 57-58 degrees no big deal due to the EC1118 yeast. Tried one over the weekend it's been in the bottle for 6 weeks and it is damn tasty, it does have a kick too.

"dogsnharleys" post=354800 said:

Just tried the nong pps cider brewed in January..man is this good stuff thanks to Yankeedag for the recipe..Just purchased the ingredients to make this one again. It was by far the easiest, fastest, and cheapest brew day :chug: and a damn good cider.

PPS
2 Gallons Costco apple Juice (Pressed apple juice)
1 Pound Sark Brown sugar
1 Cup Lactose
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 pack Lavin EC1118 Champaign yeast

Fermented for 28 degrees at a temp of around 60 degrees might have dropped to 57-58 degrees no big deal due to the EC1118 yeast. Tried one over the weekend it's been in the bottle for 6 weeks and it is damn tasty, it does have a kick too.

What were your steps in brewing this? I really want to try to make a hard cider for the wife. Thanks!

Refriderate your apple juice for a few days.

On brew day Sanitize everything.

Add Lactose, brown sugar, and PP spice to a saucepan, add 1.5 quarts apple juice to the saucepan, mix it all up, and bring to a boil. Add 1 gallons of cold apple juice to LBK, the add your MUST (Boiled concoction) to the LBK and top off with remaining juice, and stir until your arm falls off..Take temp reading if you are around 75-80 degrees then pitch your yeast and let sit for 30 minutes..then stir again until your arm falls off. Let ferment for 28 days and then add priming sugar and bottle and let condition for at least one month. Put one in the fridge for a few days, and enjoy.

"dogsnharleys" post=354806 said:

Refriderate your apple juice for a few days.

On brew day Sanitize everything.

Add Lactose, brown sugar, and PP spice to a saucepan, add 1.5 quarts apple juice to the saucepan, mix it all up, and bring to a boil. Add 1 gallons of cold apple juice to LBK, the add your MUST (Boiled concoction) to the LBK and top off with remaining juice, and stir until your arm falls off..Take temp reading if you are around 75-80 degrees then pitch your yeast and let sit for 30 minutes..then stir again until your arm falls off. Let ferment for 28 days and then add priming sugar and bottle and let condition for at least one month. Put one in the fridge for a few days, and enjoy.

Cool thanks a lot!

I based my recipe off the Nong's. I just scaled down to 1 gallon to fit my 1 gallon fermentor and left out the pumpkin spice on SWMBOs request.

Pitched Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast.

Also, if I look with a flashlight I definitely see bubbles!

It really starts coming into it's own after 3 months in the bottle. Six months is better. They tend to vanish before I see what they are like at a years time...

also, you can make it with regular table sugar. it comes out lighter in color, and is quite nice.

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=353894 said:

Carbing the hard cider is pretty difficult. I've been trying for over two years - no luck.

Has everyone had trouble carbing hard cider? Will it carb with regular 1/2 tsp priming sugar in a 12oz bottle?

I don't often drink ciders, but when I do, I prefer it still. Have not tried carbing it. Has anyone tried force carb on ciders? I wonder if I set a half full keg at 30 psi for a couple weeks, if that would do it? Just curious, probably won't do it.

Too bad I'm lactose intolerant, this sounds pretty good!

"Pengins27" post=367520 said:

I also am very curious as to the amount of priming sugars in a 12oz bottle. Any help?

I went with 1/4 teaspoon on this one. I based that on Phil's Bubba's Hard citrus punch, which he said carbed up well with 1/4 teaspoon. There is one in the fridge now, when SWMBO opens it up I will update the progress.

I put a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in 1 bottle and it was fantastic, lots better than those without. I did not use Nong's recipe though.

I am proud to announce the making of a New Nong Cider.
It is Apple Nong Pie.

This is for a 3 gallon batch.

2 lbs GB sugar
1 lb Lactose
3 TBS Apple Pie Spice
3 Gallons of apple juice (Tree Top is what I used) or the equivilant of concentrated juice.
Champagne or Wine yeast.

mix all the dry goods (except yeast) with enough apple juice to liquify and bring to boil. Cool. Mix with remaining apple juice. Ferment at room temp. Bottle. Test at 3 monts for your level of "loving it". Condition until satisfied or you need to make more.

Note: SWMBO had a taste of the sample, told me to put it in the fridge, and she drank it later. She LIKES it.

I received the brewing with Mr. Beer book when I ordered my El Diablo Blanco IPA and it has recipes in it using the old archers hard recipes. The Caramel Apple Cider sounds great.

1 can Hard Cider (Or 2 Gallons Apple Cider)
1 can Wheat UME (Or maybe 1 lb. Light DME)
2 Cups light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Or their Toutle River Tart that calls for 1 can of tart red cherries, 1 1/2 cups white sugar and 2 cup honey.

I am racking my cider to a secondary tomorrow. Is it ok to add the lactose and Pumnkin Pie flavoring at this time ?
I have two 1 gallon gallon glass jugs that I am using.
I will probably do one without added spices just to see the difference.

I guess if you boil the lactose and spice, then let it cool, you could add it. I normally do all that in the initial brewing.

Smoke,

I made a hard cider, and batch primed with 3/4 can of apple juice concentrate, thawed. I also used champagne yeast, and get excellent carbonation. Give it a shot, I think you'll like the result.

"OldBarbarian" post=372397 said:

Smoke,

I made a hard cider, and batch primed with 3/4 can of apple juice concentrate, thawed. I also used champagne yeast, and get excellent carbonation. Give it a shot, I think you'll like the result.

Please tell us more details of the brew.
Did you ferment until all the fermentation was complete?
How many gallons?
Did you kill off the yeast after bottling?

I'm going to bottle mine soon and would like to end up with a sweet sparkling cider.

TreeTop Bomber Cider:

Ingredients:
6 cans of TreeTop no-preservative frozen apple juice concentrate
4 cups of light brown sugar
1 pack of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Let FIVE CANS, ONLY FIVE CANS of the juice thaw and reach room temperature.
Bring four cups of water to a boil, then put in the brown sugar. Stir till dissolved.

Pour the juice concentrate into the keg, then the cans of water (15 cans of water, just like the apple juice concentrate directions) then the hot sugar solution. It should be about 70-75 degrees or so. If not, put the LBK into cold water to bring the temp down.

Sprinkle the yeast into the keg and stir it in, lightly.

Ferment for two weeks, at about 70-75 degrees. It will work like it's at a full rolling boil for the first week or so. Incredible.

Pull off some at 10 days to try it. No reason, it just tastes good.

Rack off into a secondary at two weeks. Four days later, cold crash it (I did about 40 degrees for two days), and bottle. I batch primed with a room temperature 3/4 can of the apple juice concentrate.

I let it condition for just over three weeks, to let the sulfides condition out (smell like egg f**ts).

It's not very sweet. Not dry at all, but not like drinking an apple-tini, either. It's very well carbonated, and my daughter said the flavor was like an apple champagne. She's the cider connosieur, and she says it's the Bomb.....which I take it is good.

Turned out to be just a touch over 6% ABV, but I can't find my notes so I don't have OG/FG for you.

Next time, I did the same but pureed two cans of blueberries and added them to the mix, room temperature, just before pitching the yeast. Two days before I racked it to secondary, I put a deck of cards under the front leg of the LBK, to make sure the trub (LOTS OF TRUB! NObody knows, the trub I've seen! Sorry) was away from the spigot.

When I racked it off to secondary, I ran it through sanitized cheesecloth to get rid of particulates.

It was a tiny bit cloudier than the first batch, but my daughter said it was again like apple champagne, with a note of blueberries. I think I would have used blueberry flavoring from my LHBS to make it a bit more blueberry-er.

So there you have it. Let me know how it works for you.

Planning on doing another 1 gallon batch of the cider. The first one went over really well, and it was delicious. Still have a few bottles, but I want to try and get this in before it gets too hot here in the desert. A slight modification for a different taste, gonna try an apple cherry cider. It might turn out good.

~1gallon water
1 can apple juice concentrate
1 can apple cherry juice concentrate
1/4 lb lactose
1/2 sugar
1 pack champagne yeast

"eboucher30" post=371055 said:

I received the brewing with Mr. Beer book when I ordered my El Diablo Blanco IPA and it has recipes in it using the old archers hard recipes. The Caramel Apple Cider sounds great.

2 Cups light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

Or their Toutle River Tart that calls for 1 can of tart red cherries, 1 1/2 cups white sugar and 2 cup honey.

I have that same book and want to try this. I bought the Cider HME and the UME(other wise known as LME or DME so I found out). I was wondering do you use both bottles of the HME or just 1 bottle? What were you going to do and have you tried it? Do you know if we boil the UME when we boil the water same question on the Brown Sugar? Or do we add after flameout? Wish they gave some sort of direction in the recipe.

I do both bottle at flame out after the sugar has been disolved. Pretty much similar to normal beers. Except the aj concentrate is not Hopped or Unhopped Malt Extract. No malt. All juice.

Monty

"RayLue" post=378673 said:

"eboucher30" post=371055 said:

2 Cups light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar

if you up it to 2.5 gallon apple juice, skip the ume, do two pounds glolden light brown sugar, and one table spoon of pumpkin pie spice, use champagne yeast, you have the NONG Pumpkin Pie Spice Cider

Will that fit into the LBK? or our you using a 5 gallon fermentor? Right now I have 3 LBK's that I could do a 5 gallon batch. SHould I not use the Golden Wheat UME? I think I might try both ways and see what I like best.

What should I see for an OG and then the FG?

Thanks for the info.