Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Best way to start incorporating honey

What would be the best way to go about incorporating a subtle honey flavor into a beer and what Mr. Beer mixes would work best with this type of thing?

I've only brewed the craft series and I was thinking about putting a drop or so into my Bewitched Amber Ales to see how it tastes, but perhaps one of the standard beers would be better for something like this.

I really just want a little honey flavor -- and not really the added ABV from using it as an adjunct. Would it make more sense to put a drop of extract in before bottling or to add a cup or so of honey to the wort when I brew it all up?

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Please try to sway me with yours.

use a honey malt using actual honey will not give you the result you are looking for. The subtle honey hints and flavor will be blown off with the CO2 during primary. There is not enough used for priming to give you any flavor

Steep 1/4 lb honey malt for 30 min @155*F before you do your boil on an LBK-size batch.

I put 1/2 lb of it in a 5-gallon ESB batch that I've got on tap right now. If you let it warm up to 48-50* (as you should anyway), you can taste the lovely hint of honey flavor.

I've not used actual honey in my brewing and have no plans to. I get the feeling from listening to other brewers that it may sound cool, but doesn't contribute what people expect due to fermentation.

"Incognitum" post=354376 said:

What would be the best way to go about incorporating a subtle honey flavor into a beer and what Mr. Beer mixes would work best with this type of thing?

I've only brewed the craft series and I was thinking about putting a drop or so into my Bewitched Amber Ales to see how it tastes, but perhaps one of the standard beers would be better for something like this.

I really just want a little honey flavor -- and not really the added ABV from using it as an adjunct. Would it make more sense to put a drop of extract in before bottling or to add a cup or so of honey to the wort when I brew it all up?

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Please try to sway me with yours.

Well from what I've read over the years, you may want to try some Honey Malt if it's only the honey flavor your after. Honey is in my opinion 80% fermentable, so that 20% that doesn't turn to alcohol and Co2 will contribute some flavor. When I add honey to the boil it's always 15 minutes before flameout because some honey contains a lot of creatures that would love to screw up your beer.

What I do sometimes is steep a tsp of honey or 2, depends on the sweet-tooth, in a cup of hot earl grey tea when I'm brewing, sometimes right before I go to bed. Oh, I don't waste my honey in beer, too good for that. Try honey malt like said.

If you want to try using real honey you need to pastuerize it. Do this by heating about 1 cup of honey mixed with about 1/2 cup water to 165 degrees and remove it from the heat. Dont let it drop below 160. Hold it at that temp for about 20 minutes. That should kill of any nastys that might ruin your beer. Once it's pastuerized pour it in the keg real slow without splashing or stirring up the trub. Oh by the way, this should be done after you have fermented for 10 -12 days. Then let it finish fermenting another 9 or 10 days. Bottle as usual. This should give you a slight honey flavor.