Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CC Shmucko

Overflow precautions

I am getting ready to make a batch of Cherry Wheat. There is a warning on the instructions that explosions or overflows are likely. Are there any secrets to prevent overflow, or is it pretty much understood that there will be some?

[attachment=12357]welcomebeer_2013-03-24.gif[/attachment]
gonna happen, keep lbk in a cooler or something to contain the excess

To piggyback on CC Shmucko's question. Would adding the fruit after primary fermentation (7 days in) cause less overflow? I've seen it recommended for taste, just wondering if it would also affect the foaming.

Are you adding the fruit before primary is done. Then yes waiting will reduce the amount of krausen. If you normally add the fruit after primary is (which is recommended) then no as the active primary is complete and the yeast have slowed down and are working on cleaning up.

Like JJ states, put it in a cooler to contain possible eruption and check it regularly as it may clog the slots in the top of the LBK where the cap goes, those are outlets for such explosion but may become clogged and cause bigger problems. Since it is a wheat, you probably want it to ferment a little warmer than usual for the fruity estery flavors. Keep us posted.

If you use the bucket for primary and secondary then it wouldn't be to much head space as the co2 would replace the oxygen above the wort. As long as no dry hopping planned. If so then rack to secondary to reduce head space and dry hop.

+1 on what Nightman said. CO2 is heavier than air. The air will be displaced as the yeast belch out CO2.

Just put it on a cookie sheet. Cherry wheat wasn't too active for me.

"RickBeer" post=354544 said:

Just put it on a cookie sheet. Cherry wheat wasn't too active for me.

i'd still advise the cooler in case of spigot failure, cookie sheet won't hold that. that's just my opinion i tend to be cautious

I have my LBKs in one those cheap $2 throw away turkey pans. But I did the raspberry wheat and added a can of fruit right away and to the LBK and an additional can a week into fermentation adn it never overflowed.

I made a batch of chocolate covered cherries (old recipe) and added 2 cans of cherries after primary fermentation and mine didn't overflow. It got close, but nothing came out.

I have made 2 batch of beer using fruit my 1st was aztec mexican cerveza beer with blackberrys I put the berrys in at the begining and i had a lot of overflow the 1st 24 hours I lost a lot of the flavor but over all my beer turned out good. 1 of my best. My 2nd batch is a st pattys brew with cherry juice 100% and I added the juice in 1week of fertmention. and I had little over flow .So I think waiting 1 week is best but over all i think you realy cant help haveing a little overflow. GOOD LUCK AND CHEERS.

"TheGrove" post=354566 said:

rogergoochman, how did your raspberry wheat turn out?

I just bottled it on Monday. And man my sample tasted awesome. I can't wait to drink it in a month