Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christle

First batch is a sweet success

On Christmas day 2012, I had a big smile on my face when I opened my Mr. Beer kit. Yes!!

After reading this forum for a couple of weeks, I felt ready. Jan 15 2013 I started my first batch of beer. The Classic American Light that came with the kit.

I left it in the LBK for 3 full weeks. Bottled it and stored it for 3 more weeks. Then put it all in the Fridge and waited. Due to an Illness and short hospital stay, I lost my taste for any beer and wine for awhile. This did help with the desire to try one before its time.

On Wednesday March 20, two full months later I opened my first bottle. It tasted great. The non-beer lovers who tasted it said, "It does taste like beer." The beer lovers who tasted it said it "Was better than I expected. What is your next batch going to be?"

I am very happy with the whole process and results. My next batch will be an Oktoberfest.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first brew! People here are very helpful and since you have been visiting the forum you had a leg up on a lot of new brewers. Hopefully you stay healthy and good luck on your future brews!

Congrats. It's a good feeling isn't it! I'm pretty new to this also but from everything I've read you want at least four weeks in the bottles at room temp and shouldn't refrigerate until you're ready to drink. Refrigerating causes the yeast to fall asleep and stops the conditioning process. You only condition at low temps with lager yeast. Again, I'm pretty new also. A veteran should be able to confirm or refute this but I was really surprised at the difference between 3 and 4 weeks of conditioning

Cheers! :chug:

Congratulations, man! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying brewing as much as the rest of us.

Here is to your health! :cheers:

Two suggestions. 1 - Let the beer condition a full 4 weeks at room temperature before putting them in the fridge. Longer is even better, refrigerate as needed, and leave the others out. 2- Add some extra malt extract to the Oktoberfest to give it a bit more body and flavor. About a pound (450 grams) of dry malt extract ( light or pale color) will be good.

[attachment=12362]Welcome02_2013-03-25.gif[/attachment]

to the Borg and congrats on your first born brew. You will make more beer!