Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tattedwood

3 cans of hopped malt extract?

i was wondering if i could use three cans of malt extract in one batch? if so should i use three yeast packs?

Simple answer is if they were the "old" MrBeer size cans (1.2 lbs) you could do it and 2 or 3 2 gram yeast packages would be okay also.

Longer answer would require knowing what HME's and weights and are you adding other adjuncts?

Sure you could use 3 malt extracts in one batch, you will probably have one hoppy / bitter brew

+1 to mrblase

What size can are you thinking about using. The standard refill is 850 grams and makes a good beer in the 8.5 liter LBK. The deluxe refills are 1200 grams and the new seasonal beers are a bit more. The Deluxe refills make a very good beer without additions; I've been adding about 450 grams (just about a pound) of dry malt extract to the smaller 850 gram cans and made very good beers. More malt is good, to a point, unless you are trying for a very high alcohol beer with a special yeast. Two packets of yeast, 10 grams, is just fine for the 8+ liter keg.

Guest System Admin

550 grams is 1.21 pounds...they are the 'old" MrBeer HME's.

Sure you "can" use 3 but....that's going to be an expensive beer and without knowing what "flavors" you were going to use it's hard to tell if it's going to taste like crap or not.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=354795 said:

550 grams is 1.21 pounds...they are the 'old" MrBeer HME's.

Sure you "can" use 3 but....that's going to be an expensive beer and without knowing what "flavors" you were going to use it's hard to tell if it's going to taste like crap or not.

I did a recipe for an Oatmeal Stout (aptly name Oatyvechkin #8) where I used 3 cans. I did use all three yeast packs.

I think you need to be careful adding different HMEs together. Some may work, some really won't. Unless you are using the same HMEs...it would be hard to really gauge. One HME may have a malt and combination which...in combination with a different malt and hop combination...could come out tasting like monkey turd.

What research have you done??

Mr. Beer's old Novacaine recipe used 5 of those old sized cans, as well as hi-grav yeast and four packs of hops. So, you certainly can use that many cans. But... that recipe was like $60 pre-shipping, so you're getting into the $3/12 oz bottle range, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me...

I just used 6 cans of Pilothouse Pilsner HME ("old" MRB) in a 5 gal batch and the OG came out 1.052. Perfect for a session beer. Used 2 older smack packs of American Ale yeast that needed to do something before dying off.

i have a pale ale a blond ale and a golden lager. do you think i can run that in the small stock fermenter ?

"tattedwood" post=354880 said:

can i use the 3 can in the stock 2 gallon fermenter?

Short answer is yes. Many of the old recipes used that and more. I would increase the yeast to avoid stressing it, and fill to the top of the "Q" on the LBK.

I don't know about that combo, I didn't try all the old Mr. Beer refills before I branched out so I'm only familiar with a few of my favorites.

Guest System Admin

You have a WCPA, a CABA and a CGL?

I'm not sure mixing all of those will net you anything other than "ugh" when you try to drink it.

Why don't you go to the LHBS and buy 3 pounds of dried malt (DME) and add one pound to each HME and make three brews?

Golden Light or Amber would work fine in all three.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=354902 said:

You have a WCPA, a CABA and a CGL?

I'm not sure mixing all of those will net you anything other than "ugh" when you try to drink it.

Why don't you go to the LHBS and buy 3 pounds of dried malt (DME) and add one pound to each HME and make three brews?

Golden Light or Amber would work fine in all three.

There ya go. Best answer to your question yet.

+100 to all the advice given so far.

Yes, you certainly CAN do it, but the question is why?

If its just for the sake of making something different, I'm all for experimentation, but if you are hoping to make a great beer with it, it seems a bit unlikely.

If you have 3 cans of the older HMEs, the best thing to do with them is make three beers. If you want to experiment a little bit, ask for some advice on malt and hops additions that could potentially make those good beers great. Many of the old timers in here probably have some outstanding recipes for those particular HMEs.

1. get Qbrew and see what you would get
2. get some DME
3. BREW UP 3 great batches of beer. 3 times the enjoyment for 1/3 of the proposed cost :cheers: