NooB's first homebrew experience... a travelog

Hi all,

Background:

I'm 41, Male.
I'm Indian (India Indian)
I'm a first time homebrewer
I'm a beer drinker (no other alcohol)
I'm bored of drinking Kingfisher, Kingfisher clones, Kingfisher clone clones
I'm not upto regularly spending 400 Rupees (7 USD) for a glass of great tasting Hefewizen at the rare microbrewery in Pune
I'm reading, reading and reading all over the net about HomeBrew all the time nowadays
I'm fully reliant currently on Mr Beer kits. All-grain brewing will come later, after I've done 3 kits

So, what's the travelog thingie?

I decided to share my experiences and learning at each step of my early journey, so more NooB's can be encouraged to take up homebrewing. I will post my experiences, trepidations and elation along with pictures at every key milestone.

Watch this space for updates...

Welcome, Sambeer. You'll find a lot of good people here who are willing to help you on your journey. I look forward to seeing some of your pics and watching your journey unfold.

Welcome to the borg!
I'm looking forward to how you move forward and reading your 'beer-log'.

Welcome aboard! Can't wait to read about your experiences. By all means, fire away with any questions you have...there is always someone around that can help you out.

Welcome, you got questions just ask someone'll answer, probably a lot of someones :)

[attachment=12369]welcomebeer_2013-03-26.gif[/attachment]

Welcome, sambeer! This is a great place to learn and share. Happy brewing!

:chug:

Welcome.

Now that you are in the right place, discard the Mr. Beer instructions and follow the advice here.

3 weeks in LBK, 4 weeks in bottles at 70*F, a few days in the refrigerator----> enjoy!

welcome! brewing beer is just as fun as drinking beer, and drinking your own beer is particularly rewarding! the wonderful members of this forum are quite helpful, and very fun!

Welcome to the forum! There are many people on here willing to help you make great beer!

Welcome! Take things one step at a time, and follow your own pace, and you'll do fine.

I'm curious, though -- why do you say all-grain will come after you've done 3 Mr. Beer batches? I'm not saying you won't be ready by then, but what makes you sure you will be ready?

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Sambeerindia. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have Beer.

It's not hard to do all grain, if you have the proper equipment. We've listed all that information here as well. So do a search here as well as other places, and ask away.

I'll go with The Hat.

Instead of jumping from MB to 5-gallon all-grain, it might be better to do a few 5-gallon extract batches to get used to handling that volume at each stage of things.

Also, I'd spend the $$ getting set up to precisely control temps (like freezer/fridge + temp controller) well before starting AG. You'll make better beer.

Thanks all for the rousing welcome!

@FedoraDave - to answer your question as to "what makes me sure I will be ready after 3 batches" - I don't, it's just a goal to make 3 batches first, then figure out where I stand.

Preparing my 1st post for the BeerLog for later today..