Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jack.templin

Metallic Taste

I just brewed a Chocolate porter. Primary fermentation-2 weeks, Bottled-2 weeks, 2 weeks cold conditioning. I just tried a bottle of it and it tasted like a dollars worth of nickles were soaking in the beer. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, if so, can I save my beer or do I have to try again?

I'm not sure what all the problem(s) might be without more info on ingredients and such, but while the 2 weeks fermenting should be enough, the 2 weeks in bottle before chilling is more than likely not enough. I'd try taking them out of fridge and giving them another 2 weeks at room temp before tasting again. maybe even longer, depending on the recipe.

Com' on JoeC, he used a bag of TBM somewhere in his recipe instructions, you know it, I know it and the borg knows it... just sayin'

Oh yea, Jack...let it condition longer and it will soon taste like a million dollars. That chocolate is gonna need time & patience my friend, time and patience!

I bought the Deluxe Porter mix, then added the amount of Brown Sugar and Cocoa that is in the Chocolate Porter Recipe.

yeah take it out of the fridge for at least 2 more weeks. in this hobby time is your friend, use all of him you can.

Metallic character is most often related to your water. Have you brewed other batches with the same water without a problem? It can also happen if using chipped enamel pots with rust.

Do you use Oxy? I'm not 100% sure yet, but I believe I had a metallic taste in some of my drinks due to soaking the bottles and kegs in Oxy, then just dumping before adding One Step + water to sanitize. I've since learned that Oxy leaves a residue that should be scrubbed off and rinsed a few times to get rid of it.

"Porthos" post=355299 said:

Do you use Oxy? I'm not 100% sure yet, but I believe I had a metallic taste in some of my drinks due to soaking the bottles and kegs in Oxy, then just dumping before adding One Step + water to sanitize. I've since learned that Oxy leaves a residue that should be scrubbed off and rinsed a few times to get rid of it.

+1
Good catch. Poor rinsing of cleansing agents and sanitizers (not no-rinse sanitizers of course) can also cause metallic flavor. Some people also get it from using softened water due to excessive sodium ions, although the perception threshold seems to vary widely person to person.

"Porthos" post=355299 said:

Right. Oxiclean is laundry detergent. Soap. Needs to be well rinsed. Would ruin a batch quite easily.

I have made 3 batches prior to this one and never had an issue. I have my own "tools": pot, pitcher for refrigerated water, whisk, can opener, funnel, measuring spoons, and stirring spoon for my brewing. Prior to this batch I made American Light (came with the kit), Amber Ale, and Irish Stout. They have all tasted great. To wash my fermenting keg, I use plain, clear soap just as the instructions say. Once I bottle my beer, I wash my keg and rinse it out a few times, maybe 4, to make sure there is no residue left. The bottles I used were Founders Porter. This batch was for a co-worker and he gave me the bottles to use. I used really hot water to wash those out, let them dry. Then used my No-rinse sanitizer as instructed.

Could the issue be, the chocolate porter recipe only calls for an HME can of porter but I used the Deluxe refill which came with a BME pouch also? And the total time of brewing, Keg->Bottle->Conditioning, was only 6 weeks?

As noted earlier, you've misunderstood the conditioning temps needed. 6 weeks isn't a period of any note, because 2 of those were in the refrigerator, with the yeast asleep. Whether you're in the LBK for 2 or 3 weeks, the 4 week clock starts when you bottle, you don't count the LBK time for anything.

Using the LME, you would be around 5.7% ABV vs. the 4.7% in the recipe. That could take another few weeks to condition.

The minimum recommended period is 4 weeks in the bottles at room temp. So, a day after you take them out of the frig you can start the clock on at least 2 more weeks at 70 degrees (not low 60s in your basement).

I agree that the chocolate is probably the issue that will condition out over the next few weeks. Try two more weeks, then put one bottle in for 2 days and try it. Then another week later, put a bottle in for 2 days and try it. I suspect you'll be right on the dime... (pun intended, but a pour pun at that). Yes, pour pun... :)

I also find that if my bottled beer has been too cold (and it has), rolling the bottles at room temp helps. Palmer says this stirs the yeast and wakes them.

My chocolate porter took a LONG time to condition. A few months. And I think it is still has a way to go, though it is much better now than it was 2 months ago. This one requires patience.

It has been conditioning for almost 4 months now, the mattalic taste is still present. Is this batch a "goner"? I have made 3 other batches, Deluxe mixes, same tools, same water, without an issue.

If it hasn't conditioned out by now it most likely never will.

If it's been 4 months at room temp, then it may never condition out. Given that all your other batches came out fine, it's hard to tell what might have made this batch not come out right. A metallic taste is hard to ignore.

It it were mine, I'd dump it and move on. IMHO

"jack.templin" post=388410 said:

It has been conditioning for almost 4 months now, the mattalic taste is still present. Is this batch a "goner"? I have made 3 other batches, Deluxe mixes, same tools, same water, without an issue.

I had this same off flavor brewing MB Porter about two years ago. Haven't had it since with any other kits or with extract/AG brewing. I chalked it up to bad HME but if you google porter metallic taste you'll find threads from other sites discussing the same phenomena. I think there is something in the chemistry of porter ingredients that render the style more prone to this off flavor under certain circumstances. I'm no chemist so it's just a wild @zz guess.

I've got a suggestion before you pour it out. Find another store bought brew that you like and try mixing them when drinking.

I had a batch of OVL that was damn bitter and I was going to toss it but wife had some Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss in the fridge.

I mixed the bitter beer about 1/2 and 1/2 with the Berry Weiss and it actually made it tolerable to drink.

It's worth a shot.