Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Help with hydrometer reading

Hey all,

I brewed up a batch of the Northwest Pale Ale tonight and decided to take a hydrometer reading for the first time.

It comes out to 1.055 and I was just curious if that sounded correct for the recipe. It was basically the Northwest Pale Ale refill can and a half pound (or maybe a bit more) of DME.

I'd estimate the final ABV would come in around 6.5-7.0%.

Being my first time taking a reading, I'm not just sure if I've done it all correctly.

Thanks!

Did u correct for temp? Other that that sounds pretty close with some DME mixed in.

I figure 5.4% ABV

1.055...55/4=13.75
1.055-1.01375=.04125
.04125*131=5.40375
=5.4%ABV

John, I've actually just had it sitting in the sample tube for about an hour, assuming it will cool down to room temp. It has changed a bit, but is staying around 1.055-1.056.

"Incognitum" post=355684 said:

John, I've actually just had it sitting in the sample tube for about an hour, assuming it will cool down to room temp. It has changed a bit, but is staying around 1.055-1.056.

To get the correct temp/reading, u take the temp of the wort being tested and read the little chart that comes with the hydrometer. It will tell u to add/subtract the appropriate amount to get correct gravity.

John, Isn't the NWPA can alone 5.5% or is that a generous estimate on Mr. Beer's part? I figured the extra half pound of DME would bring it up another point, similar to the delux refill with the LME.

Thanks for all your insight.

"Incognitum" post=355689 said:

John, Isn't the NWPA can alone 5.5% or is that a generous estimate on Mr. Beer's part? I figured the extra half pound of DME would bring it up another point, similar to the delux refill with the LME.

Thanks for all your insight.

Yes, that's what they state but they usually state a little high. I've not hit what they state without adding ingredients but I usually overfill. The math I showed you, with a good corrected gravity will get u close. That's only an educated guess until you get the actual final gravity. Sometimes the yeast will ferment not as low, sometimes lots lower than expected. There's lots of variables in there to get to the final results.

John -- Quick question about your calculation. Is 1.01375 the estimated final gravity for my recipe? I am not currently using any sort of brew calculator, but I assume that's where you got this number from?

"Incognitum" post=355823 said:

John -- Quick question about your calculation. Is 1.01375 the estimated final gravity for my recipe? I am not currently using any sort of brew calculator, but I assume that's where you got this number from?

If you have your o.g. take the whole number and multiply it by .25. Example o.g = 1.052 so take 52*0.25 = 13. Your expected f.g would be 1.013. This formula assumes a standard 75% attenuation.

Incog~

In addition to what JohnDubya says...and he is correct that Mr. Beer usually overestimates their recipes.

I will add that some of that may depend on your water level. Mr. Beer's figures (and again they may be exaggerated) are based on a 2 gallon brew. If you fill the LBK to 2.2 or 2.3 gallons, that could also account for some of the discrepancy.

FWIW I have one of those strip thermometers on my sample tube. This allows me to pull the sample, set it aside, continue on with the creation of the batch and then when I get around to it, I can take the OG and correct it by temp based on the sample temp at the time I read it. QBrew has a correction app built in under tools and if you Google there are stand alone apps out there that allow you to correct your OG or FG based on temp. In theory, this should give a more accurate reading. I have found the correction to be off by .001 usually so while I do use this in calculating the ABV, I'm not sure it really makes a huge difference. JMHO.

"mjbearit" post=357990 said:

FWIW I have one of those strip thermometers on my sample tube. This allows me to pull the sample, set it aside, continue on with the creation of the batch and then when I get around to it, I can take the OG and correct it by temp based on the sample temp at the time I read it. QBrew has a correction app built in under tools and if you Google there are stand alone apps out there that allow you to correct your OG or FG based on temp. In theory, this should give a more accurate reading. I have found the correction to be off by .001 usually so while I do use this in calculating the ABV, I'm not sure it really makes a huge difference. JMHO.

how do you pull a sample, before your done brewing? :huh: