Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
antiwraith

Using up my old MR products

I've got a handful of the old style MR canned HME. None of the UME though.

I don't really care for the basic 1 can of HME + booster. I do have some LME that needs used up that I bought elsewhere. I have some Golden malt extract and some Munich Malt. I know it won't be 100% the same, but is it as simple as substituting the same volume of malt extract for a UME? In that case, do I still use booster? I think not....

Basically I just want to use up my old cans of the basic recipe but have it be better than 1 can + booster...but I don't want to use too much or too little unhopped malt extract. What's a good rule of thumb for the ratio?

Which HME cans do you have left? Looking at some of the old archived MrB recipes will give you a good idea of what will work.

Rick

I have a WW, 2 Octoberfest, ADIPA, witty monk, bewitched red ale, CGL, and a American Blond pale ale. I think....

You pretty much got it right. UME (Unhopped Malt Extract) is basically LME. You certainly can use LME in place of UME in the old Mr Beer recipes. There were basically lighter to darker UME's just like there are lighter to darker LME's.

And I can certainly understand why you would want a beer with more than one HME and one booster in it. Not only can you substitute additional LME for booster in a recipe, but you will actually make a better beer, on most accounts.

[edit] - Just saw your selection of HME's. Nice!

For Old Mr Beer Recipes: Click This Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvC_u0VMvajpdHRSYlVpUElvbGZJYl9hbFo3NkVmR3c#gid=2

Or this archived Wayback Machine Link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120505080452/http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/8

These are my go-to files when I am wanting something slightly different but need a little direction.

You can use the booster to add a little ABV and it helps with adding some maltodextrine that is in the booster for head retention.

I've got the link for the old recipes, but I was unsure about how to substitute LME in place of MB UME. It appears I just do a 1:1 ratio of the correct type.

If I do 1 HME and 1 LME equal to a UME, how much booster should I add? A half pack? I just want the old MB cans to make the best beer they can, since this is the last of them. A good goodbye if you will. :)

I'd roll with a pound of LME/DME with your HME and add maybe a 1/2 pack of booster. One of my fav beers is Prince Ludwig if I remember correctly it is a can of Oktoberfest and WW and I added a 1/2 to a pound of extract and a 15min and 7min boil with a flameout addition of Saaz. It is freaking awesome, I have some in my pipeline and enough to brew it two more times.

"SteveCon" post=356194 said:

I'd roll with a pound of LME/DME with your HME and add maybe a 1/2 pack of booster. One of my fav beers is Prince Ludwig if I remember correctly it is a can of Oktoberfest and WW and I added a 1/2 to a pound of extract and a 15min and 7min boil with a flameout addition of Saaz. It is freaking awesome, I have some in my pipeline and enough to brew it two more times.

I looked it up, sounds like it would be good! Which extract did you add? Which hops did you add to the boil?

The hops were all Saaz on one and the other it was Tetts. I added 1/2 oz to the boil addition and 1/2 oz at knockout. I used Light DME at 3/4 lb for both, just looked up the recipes to verify. I did only do a 7min boil on both batches, so disregard the 15 min addition. I'll probably do that the next time I brew it though just to see with the 15 min addition does for the beer.

Guest System Admin

The old OVL was one of my favorite HME.

Good recipe to make with your supplies would be 2Hellenbock

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Octoberfest Vienna Lager HME
1 Can Pale Export UME
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HME)
2 Packets Hallertauer (Germany) Pellet Hops (1oz)
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
2 Cups Honey

Just use 1.2# LME (I like Munich or Golden light) instead of the UME.

I also would recommend that you use only 1 cup honey and add a second # of LME instead

Whispering wheat is/was one of my favorites. How does Bavarian Weissbier compare?

"matth" post=375160 said:

Whispering wheat is/was one of my favorites. How does Bavarian Weissbier compare?

Pretty much the same thing EXCEPT the new BW comes with Wheat Yeast, so even better!