Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pocketjr

Octoberfest help

My wife got me a couple of cans of MB for christmas and all I have left is the Octoberfest. I have to admit, I haven't liked it in the 3 times I've made it.
I need something simple to tone down the malt and maybe make it a little more hoppy.

Any ideas?

Mr. Beer refills are HME. They should NOT be boiled. If you want to use hops, you need some LME or DME.

"pocketjr" post=356343 said:

I thought I wasn't supposed to boil the LME?

You're not suppose to boil HME. Hopped Malt extract. LME e is - usually - un-hopped and can be boild just like DME

If you're not into the Octoberfest flavor then I guess you could get some LME or DME and do a hop boil. But you're going to lose the Octoberfest profile by doing so.

"pocketjr" post=356263 said:

My wife got me a couple of cans of MB for christmas and all I have left is the Octoberfest. I have to admit, I haven't liked it in the 3 times I've made it.
I need something simple to tone down the malt and maybe make it a little more hoppy.

Any ideas?

1 Oktoberfest HME
1/2 Mr B Booster
1 Mr B LME Softpack Pale
1/4 # Carapils (steeped)
1/4 oz Saaz 40 min
1/4 oz Saaz 30 min
1/4 oz Saaz 20 min
1/4 oz Saaz Dry 7 days

Anyone ever mixed Octoberfest with a MB can of something else? Porter for instance

"dbrowning" post=356351 said:

"pocketjr" post=356263 said:

Any ideas?

1 Oktoberfest HME
1/2 Mr B Booster
1 Mr B LME Softpack Pale
1/4 # Carapils (steeped)
1/4 oz Saaz 40 min
1/4 oz Saaz 30 min
1/4 oz Saaz 20 min
1/4 oz Saaz Dry 7 days

That looks interesting. I'm just starting with the new MrB stuff (had to use up the old stuff first) and was wondering what the equivalent of the softpack is if I want to pickup a substitute at my LHBS?

"Skelly" post=356827 said:

That looks interesting. I'm just starting with the new MrB stuff (had to use up the old stuff first) and was wondering what the equivalent of the softpack is if I want to pickup a substitute at my LHBS?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

Fortunately, my LHBS is now carrying the full line of Mr Beer refills, so I can now make that Gigantor Quad I was hoping to try my hand at

The softpacks are 8.8 oz of LME. Your LHBS likely sells bulk LME of various types including pale.

Here is what I am doing with the Oktoberfest:

1.00 lb Amber DME Extract Extract
0.25 lb CaraMunich - [sweet, Malty] Medium crystal malt Grain Steeped
0.25 lb Carared - [body, Head] Grain Steeped
1.87 lb Mr. Beer/Coopers Oktoberfest Lager Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
0.50 oz Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales Pellet 17 minutes
0.50 oz Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales Pellet 7 minutes
1.00 oz Mr. Beer/Coopers Oktoberfest Lager Pellet 5 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast Yeast American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Well...here's the ingredient profile for an Oktoberfest as defined by the BJCP:

Aroma: Rich German malt aroma (of Vienna and/or Munich malt). A light to moderate toasted malt aroma is often present. Clean lager aroma with no fruity esters or diacetyl. No hop aroma. Caramel aroma is inappropriate.

Flavor: Initial malty sweetness, but finish is moderately dry. Distinctive and complex maltiness often includes a toasted aspect. Hop bitterness is moderate, and noble hop flavor is low to none. Balance is toward malt, though the finish is not sweet. Noticeable caramel or roasted flavors are inappropriate. Clean lager character with no diacetyl or fruity esters.

Ingredients: Grist varies, although German Vienna malt is often the backbone of the grain bill, with some Munich malt, Pils malt, and possibly some crystal malt. All malt should derive from the finest quality two-row barley. Continental hops, especially noble varieties, are most authentic. Somewhat alkaline water (up to 300 PPM), with significant carbonate content is welcome. A decoction mash can help develop the rich malt profile.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.057
IBUs: 20 – 28 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 7 – 14 ABV: 4.8 – 5.7%

==========

That said, what you have in front of you with the Oktoberfest by itself is:

Oktoberfest Lager
Also referred to as Märzenbier, this malty, deep amber colored beer features a smooth body, toffee-like malt richness, and a full, biscuit like bouquet. Sample the celebrated beer of Munich’s world famous Oktoberfest.

ABV - estimated at 3.7, but is probably closer to 3.2
SRM: 10
IBU: 21

If you stuck strictly to the guidlines, you still have a lot of room on the ABV and some room on the hops. Although the BJCP category shows an IBU of 20-28...I would still say that you could get to 30-35 without being too far off.

If it were me...I'd bulk it up with Pilsner DME, or maybe Munich LME, or even some Bonlander (also known as a super-munich), or some Vienna. Steeping grains such as Special Roast, Biscuit, or something like that might also be interesting and give you a unique flavor profile.

A noble hop such as Hallertau (or a lot AA hop of that nature like Hersbrucker=2.8%AA) would be an excellent backbone here. On a 5% ABV beer, 0.5oz of Hersbrucker at 60 minutes would only add about 13 IBUs. It would provide the bitterness and still keep you on point with the style and the general perameters of this beer. You don't want too much of it in the flavor or aroma as noted above...so as a bitterness boil would be advised.

Give this a try? I did it up as a variant of MrBeer's Bohemian Bronze recipe. Was actually part of the collaboration recipes. It turned out well. Personally it may be a recipe to brew for me again atleast.

Bohemian Oktober
-------------
Brewer: LeRenardS13
Style: American Amber Ale
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 27 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.3%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 1.50 lb,
Mr. Beer/Coopers Oktoberfest Lager1.87 lb @ flameout

Hallertauer (Germany) - 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Hallertauer (Germany) - 0.50 oz, Pellet, 12 minutes
Mr. Beer/Coopers Oktoberfest Lager1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes(@flameout)

packet of the coopers yeast.

it's probably going to ferment alot lower than 1.014, more like 1.010 or 1.008.

Brewed Feb 24 2013, OG = 1.056 checked gravity on mar 8th 1.010

Bottled March 10th FG 1.010 = 6.02%ABV

I got advice here to use MB Oktoberfest to make a Mild. The brewer, I forgot who it was, said, this may sound odd but The Oktoberfest works well for Milds. I may do it this weekend. I'll add 1/2 oz. of Fuggles with the HME and use S-04. Couldn't get much simpler!