Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Spring Seasonals Are In!

Guest System Admin

[img size=600]http://community.mrbeer.com/images/MB_Promo_Main_Home_Page_Banner_Spring_Seasonal_Final.jpg

After taking a sabbatical, the champ has returned! Mr. Beer Seasonal Releases are back and we're not pulling any punches with the first beer in the lineup

A beer that would do Ali proud, this White IPA floats in on the wings of a butterfly, gently caressing your tastebuds with notes of coriander, citrus and melon, and then stings like the proverbial bee with a knockout IPA uppercut, serving up some of the most potent hops around.

You know you can't miss this one. Gather up some friends and fire up the grill, cause you're gonna wanna throw a party for the big fight - the one between the flavors in this beer, that is.

Click Here To Get Yours!

I saw this. I like it. I'll most likely grab one or two.

White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal
NET WEIGHT 3.75 POUNDS (1.7 KILOGRAMS)

Flavor: Hoppy
ABV (alc/vol): 6.5%
SRM (Color): 5
IBU (Bitterness): 60

"m3n00b" post=356292 said:

That's a big can!

Yeah...when they do seasonals...they do them big like that. The seasonals I have had are super top of the line.

I've sworn off HME brewing because it costs 2x as much but I might have to give this one a shot. If I can get a coupon.

Right on, been waiting for one of these. It's been over a year. Coupons coming soon Josh?

I wish they had these all year long and that all their recipes were the same size as these. But, I've only done one and it was very good. Gotta think hard about this one.

"Beer-lord" post=356303 said:

I wish they had these all year long and that all their recipes were the same size as these. But, I've only done one and it was very good. Gotta think hard about this one.

If all their cans were this size it would be tougher to mix two cans to create something completely new. Unless all you wanted was 13%abv beer.

Just placed my order. I'm looking forward to trying this. It will be my first seasonal. With all the thumbs-up on the past seasonals, I can't wait to try it.

:banana:

Rick

"m3n00b" post=356304 said:

"Beer-lord" post=356303 said:

If all their cans were this size it would be tougher to mix two cans to create something completely new. Unless all you wanted was 13%abv beer.

Ok, well maybe not ALL their extracts but a few choices would be good. The quality of the seasonals is definitely better than the regular extracts IMO.

I came.
I saw.
I bought. :woohoo:
Had a coupon, which made the deal sweeter.
This seasonal looks great. I've never had a MrB seasonal but I've heard nothing but great things.
This is my first MrB purchase since the Coopers merger.
Still working on old cans of HME. This white IPA will have to cut in line. I've got an empty LBK with its name on it.

Yeah, baybee!

:banana:

Yes it is. And once a coupon get circulated they often shut it down and stop honoring it. A lot of people don't agree with that practice, but they are really meant for individual use, not to be shared.

For those that haven't tried a seasonal release: do it.

"OikoEco" post=356335 said:

"m3n00b" post=356333 said:

Is it against rules to post coupon codes here?

Sorta.

But this has made it through the cracks in the past:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mr+Beer+Coupon+Code

Thanks. I have one and was going to post it. Oh well. Still almost $30 after shipping to me. Too much for less than a case of beer.

I'm very happy to see them (seasonals) back. I haven't placed an order to MB for over a year but now I am going to. They have all been excellent and I have bought them since I started brewing and up until they quit offering them. This first one sounds very interesting, I'm going with 2. You won't be disappointed if anything like the old ones.

I saw the announcement on Facebook and rushed here to order, because I'm pretty sure they'll go fast.

I ordered two, because I think this is going to be a great beer to have on hand throughout the summer. Should pair superbly with barbecue and grilled food on a warm night.

"FedoraDave" post=356385 said:

I saw the announcement on Facebook and rushed here to order, because I'm pretty sure they'll go fast.

I was thinking they only made 1000 and when they were gone there was no more. Am I correct on thinking that?

Had this marked on my calendar and just ordered 2 myself. Surprised, I think they released it early. Sounds awesome to me. :chug:

I get a survey offer after almost every order. That survey results in a 10% off code. (The code seems to keep working too, by the way.)
Is that what everyone means by coupon, or is there something else?

Ordered 1 and a pack of S-04 for my next batch of scottish wee heavy (old hme). I started right before they quit doing seasonals, but didn't order one at the time so this will be my first batch.

I'm not much of an IPA person, but wanted to try one before the nut brown.

Okay I got three of them cuz I'm an IPA fool. The coupon made them 19.96 a piece, about 5 bucks more than a AG batch without spending an extra 3 hours to brew. Well worth the price. I got three because I wanted the 8 bucks for shipping to be worth it. I haven't hit the send button so I might get some yeast as well.

+++Edit+++
I hit the send button, but all I got was the three seasonal. I screwed up the opportunity to get one of these when they had their last one about a year ago and have heard nothing but good things about them. I'll be brewing this seasonal next weekend.

I just ordered 2 with the 10% off coupon for doing the survey. Very much looking forward to my first seasonal.

Ordered three - gonna do one now... and in a few weeks it's gonna be too hot in the desert!
Plus, I wanna save a couple for when people start tinkering with them. This is also my first order since the merger. I have been living on the old cans for a while! Haven't tried too many white IPA's - any commercial recommendations to get a feel for what to expect? Happy Springtime to all!!!! :chug:

Just put 2 in my Club order for Monday.
Just had a Growler of White IPA from Lodi Brew Company (Lodi, CA: great food great brew, swmbo's work) it was great, drank it so fast my headhurt the next day.
Not sure if many people are going to add stuff to this with a limited supply.
Going to brew one up soon for summer and save the other.

Guest System Admin

I ordered two. I would have liked to order more but Mr. Checkbook trumps Mr. Beer every time.

"ChizzleD" post=356632 said:

Just had a Growler of White IPA from Lodi Brew Company (Lodi, CA: great food great brew, swmbo's work) it was great, drank it so fast my headhurt the next day.

Hey ChizzleD,

Do you find you get "stuck in Lodi" again and again?

:P:P:P

I know some of the people were modifying the previous seasonals but I never modified them. I usually made 2 batches of them just as instructed because they were really good out of the can.

Anyone have any suggestions to kick this recipe up a notch? Would dry hopping be a good idea? Which hops would be good?

"Wilson29" post=356870 said:

Anyone have any suggestions to kick this recipe up a notch? Would dry hopping be a good idea? Which hops would be good?

1) I don't think anyone has brewed this yet. Brand new seasonal.
2) At 6.5% ABV and with the spices and hops already added, I doubt folks will tinker with this too much. I know I won't. Looks good straight up!

Please inform us to WHY you would want to change something up that nobody has tasted or even been able to brew yet!!!

Just Askin'

The seasonals have always been good as is, I would brew it straight up to enjoy the recipe as MB intended.

Well thats why I ordered 2. I'll brew the first one straight up. Try it and then make additions to the 2nd if I feel its needed.

"T8r Salad" post=356873 said:

Please inform us to WHY you would want to change something up that nobody has tasted or even been able to brew yet!!!

Just Askin'

DOH!

"Meytchison" post=356877 said:

Well thats why I ordered 2. I'll brew the first one straight up. Try it and then make additions to the 2nd if I feel its needed.

Ditto. Based on the flavor description, the second batch will get a citra dry hop to compliment..

Sorry. I got the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this and have only been brewing for 3 months now. I wasn't aware this for the first year for this particular seasonal release. I was only looking for suggestions on how to maybe tinker with the recipe a little. I have to say this board is usually very helpful. This is the first time I've encountered so much sarcasm and hostility.

"Wilson29" post=356905 said:

Sorry. I got the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas this and have only been brewing for 3 months now. I wasn't aware this for the first year for this particular seasonal release. I was only looking for suggestions on how to maybe tinker with the recipe a little. I have to say this board is usually very helpful. This is the first time I've encountered so much sarcasm and hostility.

It's all good Wilson29 I saw your post and realized you were a new brewer. As stated by some it is probably good to do the Seasonal straight up. Say if you get more than one you might want to see how it turns out then you can make adjustments if even needed. I'm sure once the Borg members get this in their pipeline more information will roll in. Sorry that you felt hostility by Borg members, we are usually a helpful, good intended, and comical bunch.

:cheers:

Geez, it was a little good natured ribbing.

You might want to think about not being so "sensitive."

As Sgt Hulka said....."Lighten up, Francis."

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=356922 said:

Geez, it was a little good natured ribbing.

You might want to think about not being so "sensitive."

As Sgt Hulka said....."Lighten up, Francis."

+1 :cheers:

Originally scheduled for release on April 2, sooooo ordered two last night
one will be granted first on deck privledges after they arrive :lol:

"Duff" post=356653 said:

I know some of the people were modifying the previous seasonals but I never modified them. I usually made 2 batches of them just as instructed because they were really good out of the can.

I have typically brewed the first straight up and then the second tweaked to my liking (and 3rd sometimes as well if I buy 3).

Tweaked to my liking is a relative thing however. I can't say that I didn't enjoy any of the old seasonal straight up. Just that some of them I thought could be made even better to my tastes.

Sometimes when we write things, the joviality that would come with personal contact can't be conveyed, and things don't come across how we meant them. In various contexts, I know I need to ask myself if what I write could be misinterpreted.

Wilson29, I like your eagerness to experiment. The advice by others is still good, though, to try recipes straight, first, as a baseline, then based on what your goal for a brew is, make adjustments from there. By comparison to the baseline, you can learn what the differences do, and develop great skills as a brewer. If something doesn't work, remember Charlie Papazian: RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew).

Seems some of us will be making some tweaks to the 2nd+ batches. some Citra hops for aroma could be a nice addition to what the flavor profile says. Guess well know after the 1st batches.
Would be nice if they release the others in time to actually drink them during the season they are intended for. Might be drinking the 2013 Winter Seasonal :freeze: Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale, in the spring :mow: of next year lol.

"ChizzleD" post=356947 said:

Seems some of us will be making some tweaks to the 2nd+ batches. some Citra hops for aroma could be a nice addition to what the flavor profile says. Guess well know after the 1st batches.
Would be nice if they release the others in time to actually drink them during the season they are intended for. Might be drinking the 2013 Winter Seasonal :freeze: Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale, in the spring :mow: of next year lol.

I see myself adding a dryhop or a aroma boil with the second or third one. We'll see how that first one turns out.

"Wilson29" post=356905 said:

Wilson, I don't think any of the replys to your question were ment to be answered with "sarcasm and hostility". The seasonals are a unique brew that the brewmasters at MB put together for a limited quantity. They are above and beyond the regular refills in taste, body and ABV. Yes you can modify them all you want, The last one to be offered was the Spring Pilsner and a lot of us on here added Carapils me included. But to try to change it out before trying I still wouldn't recommend, I'm sure it will be a good beer as is. Sorry again if you thought we were giving you a hard time. Not the intentions of this borg.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

I think I still have something like 10 or so mixes in my closet, but I went ahead and sprung for the seasonal, too. I didn't want to miss out on this one.

Yeah, if I'm being honest I didn't NEED this one but the seasonals have always been good and half the fun is brewing the same batch as other Borg members and having one thread to chat about it in knowing that we're all tasting basically the same thing (assuming no mods).

Same here. This is my first seasonal after hearing such great things about them. Figured I'd give er a go. Also, this style could be right up my alley. I like both IPAs and Belgians. Also, being able to get such a big brew fermenting in 30-60 minutes is very appealing to me right now. Just got email confirmation today that the kit is in transit. :banana:

In another context, I once told a vendor "I really don't NEED this" and his response was "If I only sold people things they NEEDED I might as well stay home." A few minutes later several large bills changed hands and, need or not, I had the item.
A beer recipe seems to be in that category. None of us NEED to make beer, but what's that got to do with anything?

I to am looking forward to a lot of people drinking the same brew. I tend to think that anyone that doesnt agree with me or do things my way is fubar and full of bull $hit. :silly: But I will get a chance to see how many goofy basterds there really are around these parts. :P

I to am looking forward to a lot of people drinking the same brew. I tend to think that anyone that doesnt agree with me or do things my way is fubar and full of bull $hit. But I will get a chance to see how many goofy basterds there really are around these parts.

Hear, Hear! :cheers:

I'm not a huge fan of IPAs but I love Belgians and the Spring seasonal sounded awesome. (More excited for Summer through Winter, but hey, whatever).

I ordered 2 just in case they are as good as everyone says. Can't wait to bottle the Winter Dark to make room for the White IPA. :cheers:

I ordered my Spring White IPA yesterday! I can't wait to try this one! :drinking:

Good News:
Received my 2013 Seasonal White IPA

Bad News:
The can is beat to crap! See Below. Is this ok to use?

i-c9HC6B4-M.jpg

i-4V6Qb7h-M.jpg

i-jtgqDKJ-M.jpg

i-RjsqRD6-M.jpg

i-hKVxTHX-M.jpg

Guest System Admin

As long as the can is not leaking it is fine

"BlackDuck" post=357827 said:

Holy cow that is beat to crap....I'm not sure if that's OK or not. Maybe you can touch base with customer service and see what they will do for you. I just received the email that mine shipped, I hope it doesn't look like that when I get it.

I hear ya. I will contact Customer Service. The odd thing is that the box is undamaged. Meaning that the can was packed dented.

"Trollby" post=357828 said:

As long as the can is not leaking it is fine

I talked to Customer Service and they agree.

MB-Debi:
It will hopefully ease your mind to know that dents do not in any way harm the malt inside of the can. There is such a high concentration of sugar inside the cans that basically nothing is able to grow or survive inside of them.

I was nervous because I have always been told not to buy bent or dented canned food items.

Guest System Admin

"KokomoSam" post=357833 said:

I was nervous because I have always been told not to buy bent or dented canned food items.

That is for food that has "solids" due to they can be bruised and cause issues.

Liquid is different (sweetened condensed milk for example) they are fine if dented

It's fine. I would just open it over the pot as the liquid may want to come out when can is punctured.

Dented cans with a broken or cut interior plastic seal can cause botulism if left at room temp for an extended period per the USDA. Since this can looks dented but not pierced, you should be ok. It is also new product so I would not expect a long time on the shelf.

I think you will be fine with that dented can and I'd use it,BUT, you are paying good money for the product and when you recieve it, it should be in good shape. What if you want to save the can for a knickknack like I have some and add to My shelf of cans and bottles, That one is not very Presentable.

"berryman" post=357870 said:

I think you will be fine with that dented can and I'd use it,BUT, you are paying good money for the product and when you recieve it, it should be in good shape. What if you want to save the can for a knickknack like I have some and add to My shelf of cans and bottles, That one is not very Presentable.

Agree...when you spend $30 after shipping for 4 pounds of syrup...the can should be perfect.

"frogmeat69" post=357935 said:

My order will be here tomorrow, guess what I'll be doing this weekend?? B)

Uh, mowing the yard, shoveling snow, washing the truck, cleaning the house, working overtime, just to mention a few.... LOL Have fun brewing!

Curse all of you that ordered before me and live closer to the distribution!!

:angry:

Mine will be here Friday :)

"Kealia" post=358005 said:

Yeah!

Mine isn't coming until Friday, and i live a lot closer than you do.

"losman26" post=358014 said:

Mine isn't coming until Friday, and i live a lot closer than you do.
Damn you all, mine won't be here until Monday, 4 days of transit..........Sheeeite :smash: :smash: :smash: :angry:

I'm in OK and mine will be here Thursday, but I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and hate to leave it alone so I won't be brewing until after Apr 21.

So who's gonna be the first to get this in the LBK? Shall we start a new threat for our brewing experiences specific to this seasonal, or shall we continue to post below?

We're waiting . . .

When the time comes I think a new thread in the Basic Recipes section is makes the most sense. Call it something like "WHITE IPA SEASONAL" and it will be easy to find.

"Kealia" post=358233 said:

When the time comes I think a new thread in the Basic Recipes section is makes the most sense. Call it something like "WHITE IPA SEASONAL" and it will be easy to find.

Good idea!

Guest System Admin

"Kealia" post=358233 said:

I have done that in the past since we did the "Dibs" and I was always one of the first to get my seasonal.

This time I have been swamped and have not ordered mine yet, hope to do it tonight

Mines not comming! Oh wait, was I supposed to order it? LOL, I would but I have sooo much now I don't know if this would get drank this year.

Be sure to check you emails for the additional instructions on what to do with the spice bag.

Mine arrived today and will be going in to the LBK this week-end.

What temp is everyone going to try with the t58 yeast?