Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
scottykalltheway

pumpkin lager suggestions/advice

I recently purchased the pumpkin lager kit from MB. This is one of my favorite styles of beer to drink, especially from october-december. This will be the third MB brew that I will be making. The first two came out pretty good, but I have REALLY high hopes for this one.

With that said, who has made this recipie before? What did you do right? What did you do wrong? I'm just curious to see what people have to say about making this style/recipie...I'm open to any suggestions..thanks!

I made this recipe and was not at all impressed. It was the only beer I dumped and I didn't do anything wrong, it was just a recipe I didn't care for. I think if I were to make it again, I would add pumpkin spice and forgo adding the pumpkin puree.

I've got this on deck to make next - I also like Pumpkin Ales in the Autumn - only thing I'm going to do different is to steep 1/2 lb of carapils malt - I suspect a longer conditioning period will be required for the flavors to blend and mellow.

Cheers!

I made this recipe as well as the pumpkin porter last year and both had an off taste that took a long time to lager away. The directions that came with the recipe said to add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the boiled water that had been removed from the heat (which I did). After having the off taste, I did more research and reread my brewers guide which states "steep spices in boiling water for 5 minutes". So that would be my advice because the off taste was very strong and was still faintly evident after several weeks and even a couple months after the suggested lagering period. Good luck.

I drank my pumpkin lager along side the Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale and it was clear that the MB recipe was going more for a straight pumpkin taste, while the Blue Moon was more of a pumpkin pie spice. I (as well as my friends) definitely found the Blue Moon flavor to be far superior over the MB recipe.

I've made this beer in the past as well following the recipe to the "T" IMHO, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. That being said, I did have very high expectations ( I was hoping it would be comparable to the Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer) Anyways, Ive decided to have another go at this recipe this year but I think I will be making a few changes.

For spices, I am going to use:

3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice

Like BrewBill mentioned previously, I think steeping the spices in boiling water would be a good idea as well.

Finally, this is just a guess... but I believe a beer like this would require a longer conditioning time in order to help clear up some of those "off tastes" mentioned earlier. So my plan is to begin a new batch sometime in late August in order to give it a good 2 weeks fermenting, 3-4 weeks conditioning, and another 2 weeks cold conditioning. If my math is correct that would have this beer ready by mid October. Perfect time to pop open a bottle of Pumpkin Ale

How do you steep your spices, in a tea ball, coffee filter or ...?

I have the Pumpkin Porter in the wings for Thanksgiving.

Vic

I have a Pumpkin Lager in the keg right now. Just per the recipe. Did an initial hydrometer check and it shows about 5.5 alcohol. I don't have a lot of activity on the top, yet. Is that normal?

If you used the MR. Beer yeast only you may not get a lot of yeast activity initially - I rarely use it anymore except to throw it into the boil for yeast nutrient.

Sometime's little activity is normal. Don't know why one time it goes nuts and another, it quietly ferments. But if you see it's doing something, let it be. It's working.

Aminal wrote:

How do you steep your spices, in a tea ball, coffee filter or ...?

I have the Pumpkin Porter in the wings for Thanksgiving.

Vic

Hey Aminal,

When I referred to steeping the spices. I meant soaking them in water for an extended period of time. Note: you may not want to have the water boiling, you might want to keep it under the boiling point. (I just read this somewhere) As for using a tea ball or something similar... I say F it. just throw the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg etc.. into the water and let it soak in. These are just finely ground up spices, I dont think you need to worry about them leaving any particles in your beer like hops would.

Question for dnotar 364: You are planning on using those spices in addition to a can of pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie filling?

V

Aminal wrote:

Question for dnotar 364: You are planning on using those spices in addition to a can of pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie filling?

V

Yes I was. a 16 oz can of pumpkin puree is just that... pumpkin. There are no added spices in there. If I remember correctly, the original Mr. Beer pumpking Lager recipe calls for you to provide the following:

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Can Cooked Pumpkin Puree (around 16 oz.)
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

All Im doing with my version of this recipe is upping the amount of spices used and adding allspice (which is often used to make pumpkin pie) My hypothesis is if you steep the spices for a while - which I didnt do last time, they may come out more in the flavor of the beer.

What’s up everyone?

Last night I had some time to kill, so I decided to make the pumpkin beer recipe I had been thinking about. Originally my recipe included the following:

1 can of WCPA HME
1 can of Mellow Amber UME
1 lb. of Muntons light DME
3 Tsp of Cinnamon
1 Tsp of Nutmeg
1 Tsp of Allspice
1 Tsp of Ginger
1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
16 oz. Pumpkin Puree
Dry Brewing Yeast.

Getting all of my items together I realized I did not have any brown sugar, so instead of waiting I exchanged the brown sugar for 1/2 cup of Clover Honey and 1/4 cup of Dark Molasses.

Now I know the sugar content in 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar does not equal the exact amount of fermentable sugar in 1/2 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of Molasses but I figured what the hell! (SIDE NOTE: If anyone in this forum happens to know what the proper fermentable weight conversion would be for pumpkin puree and molasses in QBrew, please share!!) Anyways, I steeped all of the spices for 10 min after adding and boiling the DME, honey and Molasses. The smell was incredible! Next I added the UME and brought to a boil. Then added the pumpkin puree and steeped this in the wort for about 15 min. (Still hadnt added any hops whatsoever so no reason to worry about long boil times right??) Finally, I removed the wort from the heat and added my 1 can of HME. This is one beer, although not very malty or strong, I am very excited about. The smell of the wort alone had me dreaming of pumpkin pie. Im planning on letting this ferment for a min. of 3 weeks with a 3+ week condition time. Anyways this was my new attempt at making a better pumpkin beer this year. I cant say for sure yet but I'm convinced steeping the spices and the pumpkin will make a major difference in the outcome of this beers taste. For some reason the MB Instructions for this recipe just wants you to add the spices and pumpkin at the way end after you have already added the HME. I will let everyone know whats going on with this beer in a few weeks.

Incase anyone is interested these are the characteristics I got for this recipe out of QBrew:

Recipe Gravity: 1.059
Recipe Bitterness: 17IBU
Estimated FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.7%
ABW: 4.5%

Note: This dosnt include any of the spices or pumpkin, simply because I didnt know how to enter these ingredients into QBrew. I entered the 1/4 cup of Molasses in under the grains tab as weight: .150, Adjunct, Other. (this was a total guess) Therefore, its safe to say the data I got from QBrew is probably way off but hey... experimental brewing is what I do best!

:laugh:

Cheers!

I have the Pumpkin Lager recipe sitting in my house, definitely let us know how this turns out because I will follow your recipe!

If you are using brown sugar in this recipe, is it ok to add the sugar and boil it or not? I was planning on doing this recipe next so any clarification on this would be appreciated. I guess what I'm asking is, should I have already added and boiled the brown sugar before steeping the spices or should I add the brown sugar in after?

dazzling-delhisian wrote:

If you are using brown sugar in this recipe, is it ok to add the sugar and boil it or not? I was planning on doing this recipe next so any clarification on this would be appreciated. I guess what I'm asking is, should I have already added and boiled the brown sugar before steeping the spices or should I add the brown sugar in after?

I'm far from a brewing expert, but I do believe it should be ok to boil the brown sugar in water. If I were you, I'd use the brown sugar on the same step you would use the booster (in the beginning) Remember this is what I would do...just my opinion Get the brown sugar boiled in well with the water. Then add your spices and pumpkin puree. Bring this to a low boil, then add your UME, remove from heat and add you HME to complete your wort.

dnotar364 wrote:

Getting all of my items together I realized I did not have any brown sugar, so instead of waiting I exchanged the brown sugar for 1/2 cup of Clover Honey and 1/4 cup of Dark Molasses.

In scouring the house for the needed spices I realized I have just a shade less than a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. So I was wondering if there was any problem with topping off the brown sugar with a couple packets of turbinado sugar to make the suggested 1/2 cup. Or, should I just add some honey to the mix, if so about how much?

Sounds good to me. Just bear in mind that brown sugar will impart flavors to the beer while honey will impart alcohol only. I think someone above mentioned molasses. Personally I'd never use molasses since there are so man unfermentables in it. But that's just me.

Another quick question, it seems like 16 oz. cans of pumpkin are no longer made, they now are conveniently 15 oz., I was wondering if 1 ounce will really make that much difference or not? I'm guessing probably not, but I thought I'd check

I ran into the opposite problem - could only find 32 oz cans. I just scooped about half into the keg. I'm looking to bottle this weekend, but a sample taste while checking SG tasted like pumpkin.

dnotar364 wrote:

In scouring the house for the needed spices I realized I have just a shade less than a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. So I was wondering if there was any problem with topping off the brown sugar with a couple packets of turbinado sugar to make the suggested 1/2 cup. Or, should I just add some honey to the mix, if so about how much?

I posted this earlier in this thread...

"Getting all of my items together I realized I did not have any brown sugar, so instead of waiting I exchanged the brown sugar for 1/2 cup of Clover Honey and 1/4 cup of Dark Molasses.

Now I know the sugar content in 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar does not equal the exact amount of fermentable sugar in 1/2 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of Molasses but I figured what the hell!"

...FYI, my beer seems to be fermenting (and smelling) quite nice!

I will be brewing this tonight...

important question..does it matter if i run the pumpkin through the blender..i'm guessing no...but can someone answer this?

also, has anyone ever brewing this using "pumpkin pie spice" rather than the individual spices? if so, how much pumpkin pie spice did u use?

I never used pumpkin pie spice, but I believe it is nothing more than a combination of Allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg etc... so if you find pumpkin pie spice I say just exchange that for all the spices in the recipe.

As for the pumpkin puree, I dont think its nessesary to run it through the blender... afterall its already pureed! Your not going to get it any more blended than it already is. (Besides, I think if you try to use it in a blender it will be awefully hard to spoon out.) All I did was add it to the wort and let it boil for a few min. If you look back on this thread I think I gave a step by step walkthough somewhere on how I made this. Please keep in mind, just because I made the recipe this way, it doesnt mean I'e perfected it. As a matter of fact I havent even bottled this batch yet so I'm not sure how its going to turn out... but damn it sure does smell good! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

scottykalltheway wrote:

just noticed the original recipie says "cooked" pumpkin puree...

what does this mean?

Sorry for the delayed response, Im at work :laugh:

I believe its already cooked before its put in the can. No need to cook it. Trust me, spoon it into the wort, mix it in good with your spices and Malt Extract and throw it in the keg. (Dont actually throw it in... that might get kinda messy)

scottykalltheway wrote:

just noticed the original recipie says "cooked" pumpkin puree...

what does this mean?

Sorry for the delayed response, Im at work :laugh:

I believe its already cooked before its put in the can. No need to cook it. Trust me, spoon it into the wort, mix it in good with your spices and Malt Extract and throw it in the keg. (Dont actually throw it in... that might get kinda messy)

Any thoughts on the apparent lack of availability of 16 oz. pumpkin puree in cans, I settled for the 15 oz. so I was wondering if an ounce would really make a huge difference? I am thinking that it won't really matter that much but I wanted an extra opinion on whether I should go on and make this or wait and get another can?

I just use about 1/2 of the can (it's 2 cups) and the rest went in my compost.

The MR B recipe says to put it in the fermenter. But after boiling the dry ingredients for 5 min, I stirred in the pumpkin, THEN the HME & UME. It worked well- and I'm sure it was a hell of a lot easier to combine the ingredients!

...and it smelled damn good before I poured it into the fermenter!

Brewed the pumpkin lager last night...pretty much followed dnotar364's recipie and directions. This way, if it doesn't come out good, I have someone to blame other than myself.. :laugh: Just kidding..

This brew smelled amazing, when I woke up today my house still smelled like pumpkin pie! I'm very excited to taste this one.

I think I'm going to do 3-3-3, since people in the past have said this recipie has some off tastes. My question is, have the people who have experienced these off tastes actually lagered their batch? This is definitely a brew that will be not good for almost two months.....

Others who are/will be making this, keep us posted!

Just bottled mine this afternoon. Sure did smell good - much more pronounced aroma during bottling than most Mr. Beer kits, that's for sure. No problems with the pumpkin plugging things up, in fact cleanup was easier than with most batches of other beers. I'm hopeful that this one is going to be really good! Have a daughter's wedding in October. Timing should be pretty good, I think!

To those who have brewed this recipe recently (i.e. 1-2 days ago) how long until you saw some fermenting activity, also was the layer of sediment on the bottom around 1 1/2 inches deep like mine? I made this yesterday and with the exception of some condensation and increased sediment I have seen no activity. thanks

dazzling-delhisian

How about the trub on the bottom? Was that around 1 1/2 inches like mine, its almost up to the tap and I'm afraid that when I bottle this it will clog up the tap and then I will have a problem. I put a block of wood under the front end of the keg to help with this so hopefully that will work.

I put a block of wood under the front end of the keg to help with this so hopefully that will work.

I can't really tell yet but it's looking to be about an inch thick...when i made a raspberry beer i had a similar problem and used the block of wood method...this should work fine. My guess is that some beer will definitely be lost, but nothing you can really do except add less pumpkin next time...

keep us updated!

I brew mine up today followed MB recipe except I mixed my puree in the
hot wort and mixed it to a liquid. My OG was 1.052 smelt great we'll
see I'll keep updating as it goes. Could only get 15oz cans of puree and had to go to four different stores to find it they say there is a shortage.
Scot. :sweat:

Today there has been lots of bubbling action but no kreusen, just frequent bubbling. I have also noticed a pumpkin aroma coming from the immediate vicinity of the keg. Smells delicious.

Well after 24hrs Ive got about a inch of trub and some bubbling. No kreusen as of yet fermenting at about 69 deg.

moparscot wrote:

Well after 24hrs Ive got about a inch of trub and some bubbling. No kreusen as of yet fermenting at about 69 deg.

Fermentation may take a little longer at 69 degrees but dont worry this is exactly where you want to keep your temperature. My guess is you will stop seeing activity after about 10 - 12 days but leave it in the keg for a minimum of 15 days at this temp and you will have a very tasty brew!

edit: Im going to be bottling my pumpkin ale this evening. Its been in the keg for about 17 days. Although it takes much longer, I think Im going to primarily use 12 oz bottles so I can enjoy this beer 1 at a time and as long as possible.

Cheers!

Whats up everyone,

I was searching around for more ideas regarding pumpkin beer recipes and I found a pretty interesting site.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/pumpkin-ale-home-brew-recipe-and-commercial-microbrew-recipe

One of the things that really caught my attention was this recipes use of spices. Feel free to check it out yourself but bascially this guy says adding certain spices should be done similar to the way we add our hops - using different time increments.

Check it out..

Initially, I was of the impression that the spices should go in last in order to infuse the maximum amount of aroma without boiling it away. Little did I realize that the procedure for adding certain spices is very similar to that followed when adding hops. Scott told us that it is indeed possible to obtain some desirable bitterness from cinnamon thus making it worthwhile to add at the beginning of the boil. He informed us that it is also possible to extract desirable flavors and aromas from the cinnamon and nutmeg by following the same timelines as that followed when adding hops.

This is something I am deffinitley going to consider for my next pumpkin beer. Similar to boiling hops for bitterness, flavor and aroma... according to this website, you can do a 90 min. spice addition for bitterness, 20 min spice addition for flavor, and a 5 min spice addition for aroma. Check out the link above, I found it very imformative.

Dave.

Dave that was a good article and a interesting recipe. I'm building my equipment for my first all grain something simple if it goes good I my try that one next.

Man, I wish people had good results with this one. A freind of mine just told me this was a good mix to get so I was happy to come to the boards and find this thread.

So far all of the batches seem to have been less then stellar. There's hope with the latest round of brewers but I don't have the time to sit and wait for their results before making my own batch for the fall.

I was really hoping to have some good reviews. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother trying it.

I gotta say,

The latest recipe at the beginning of this thread seems solid. I think I want to try it. If it fails there will be a lot of disappointed brewers. But again, I gotta say, the recipe seems solid. But hey, thats how you learn!

I'm going to the LHBS tomorrow to get my supplies and I'm going for broke.

Brew on my brothers, Pumpkin Lagers for all!!!! :cheers:

Resistance is futile!!!

:party:

dnotar364 wrote:

moparscot wrote:

Fermentation may take a little longer at 69 degrees but dont worry this is exactly where you want to keep your temperature. My guess is you will stop seeing activity after about 10 - 12 days but leave it in the keg for a minimum of 15 days at this temp and you will have a very tasty brew!

edit: Im going to be bottling my pumpkin ale this evening. Its been in the keg for about 17 days. Although it takes much longer, I think Im going to primarily use 12 oz bottles so I can enjoy this beer 1 at a time and as long as possible.

Cheers!

what are you using to prime?

also, did you taste a little while bottling? if so, how was it?

I don't know who you where asking I won't bottle mine till next week but I will batch prime with honey. :cheer:

Just cracked open a bottle of this after only one week of conditioning. I'm not sure what went wrong for some other folks, but I'm very pleased with this very young beer! The pumpkin and the spices come through nicely!

dougk_AR wrote:

Just cracked open a bottle of this after only one week of conditioning. I'm not sure what went wrong for some other folks, but I'm very pleased with this very young beer! The pumpkin and the spices come through nicely!

Which recipe did you follow? Just the basic Mr Beer one?

Yes, just the basic Mr. Beer recipe. I'm not confident enough to experiment. Those Mr. Beer recipe kits seem to be pretty good. Bottled a Purple Daze today and it looked and smelled great, too!

Thanks.

An old friend suggested I try the Pumpkin lager and that's what drove me to this thread, to see the comments on it. Up until now he was the only person that actually seemed to like the brew. Now you're the second.

I've got my order in for the pumpkin lager and it should hopefully be here this weekend so I have enough time to brew it for Tahnksgiving.

I brewed mine with a target of our daughter's wedding in October. I think it should be just about perfect by then. Some extra guests in town. I'm busy filling the garage refrigerator with all the beer I can make!

I just popped open my first bottle of pumpkin ale last night (you can look back in this thread for the recipe I used) Initial thoughts are Im very pleased, however I was hoping for a bit lighter beer. (SRM) Anyways although im extremly happy with this batch, Im going to have another go at this recipe.. this time I plan on exchanging the WCPA and Mellow Amber UME for 2 cans of golden wheat UME. I think a wheat based pumpkin ale would be very tasty.

Just checked UPS and my order in on the truck as I type this. I'll be brewing a batch of this later tonight!

Hooked up my new spigot for the beer wand and am currently sanitizing. In a few minutes I'll be starting my pumpkin batch....

If I have time I'll brew up my Christmas one too!

cm11599ps wrote:

Hooked up my new spigot for the beer wand and am currently sanitizing. In a few minutes I'll be starting my pumpkin batch....

If I have time I'll brew up my Christmas one too!

Go, cm11599ps, Go!
:)

This smells amazing. Just waiting a few minutes for the yeast then I'll stir it all up, cap it and wait.

I hope this turns out great for you. Brewing vicariously...good luck! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This smells amazing. Just waiting a few minutes for the yeast then I'll stir it all up, cap it and wait.

Ok started with a Hyd. reading of 1.055. After 14 days I pulled a sample reading of 1.015 and it smelt very good. I was hoping for 1.010 but I'll test it again in 24hrs and see what it does.

On thurs. it will have been three weeks in the keg, and on recent taste samplings, I have noticed a slight tartness to it, it has decreased greatly over the past week and half, but I was wondering if this is anything I should worry about or what?

thanks

DiD

Day 16 FG. 1.015 smelt and tasted good. Hope this turns out good. There was only a little trub setting on top of alot of pumpkin. I only got 20-12oz. bottles out of the batch.
Scot. :sweat:

I brewed this by the book last Friday and just had a sampling today. I didn't have quite the same smell as when I brewed it. It had a real nice pumpkin pie smell back then. Not sure exactly how to classify the smell this time.

The coloring is like an apple cider.

The taste. It was good but I didn't taste the pumpkin at all. I did get the cinnamon and nutmeg though. I'll be interested to see how this turns out in a few weeks.

I brewed it last Friday and will bottle it next Friday at the earliest so it has at least 2 full weeks fermenting.

My daughter brought home a sixpack of Pumkin Head beer. It was all I could do to drink half of one but she loves it.

Fermented for 23 days..I'm following 3-3-3 for this brew...

Sampled when bottling..tasted great..spices were not overpowering and slight pumpkin taste..

Only yield 19 bottles though..ouch

Will let it sit in the bottles at about 68 degrees for 2 weeks, 1 week in the basement at about 55 degrees, and 3 weeks in the fridge before cracking open the first one!

Please, if you haven't yet.. go out an buy a 22oz of Southern Tier's Pumpking..this is the only pumpkin beer on shelves that really matters...dogfish head's "punkin" is a close second.

I made this brew 2 weeks ago tomorrow. The day of cooking it smelt AWESOME.

I went and had a sample last Friday (after 1 week fermenting) and it didn't have the same smell at all. It didn't smell bad, but it also didn't smell like I thought it would. Maybe I had high expectations. I couldn't really taste the pumpkin at all, but I did taste the spices.

Fast forward to today (almost 2 weeks fermenting) and it smells about the same as last week. I believe the taste has improved though and you do get a nice pumpkin aftertaste. Definitely better tasting then last week.

At this point I'm unsure if I should bottle it tomorrow or let it sit another week for a 3 week fermentation.

I started bottling today, 2 days shy of 3 weeks. I'm going to be busy Friday-Monday, plus I'm going to my buddies house tomorrow who also brews. I wanted to give him a bottle or two tomorrow.

So far, so good.

I've been taking some pics of my brew process in the hopes of getting more of my friends/family interested in brewing. So far there's only one guy that did it a few times and another friend who's just getting back into it. I'm going to HIS house tomorrow and I'm bringing one I made in July as well as this pumpkin batch. He's gonna crack open a batch that the earliest drink date is tomorrow.

Anyway, here's the little slideshow I've created.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2031711&id=1458490780&l=801170a42c

Dude,
Please post a pour picture. And a graphic tasting post. Nice slideshow, too. Oh, I noticed the Mr Beer cube! Is that the 6 quart container I read about in another thread? How old is that thing?

Good luck and Brew Strong. Borg Onward!

lol, yep. That's the 6 quart Mr. Beer keg. I think it's worth $1,000,000 these days.

Pour and tasting pics to come but not until around Halloween.

That keg has to be around 9 years old.

cm11599ps wrote:

I've been taking some pics of my brew process in the hopes of getting more of my friends/family interested in brewing. So far there's only one guy that did it a few times and another friend who's just getting back into it. I'm going to HIS house tomorrow and I'm bringing one I made in July as well as this pumpkin batch. He's gonna crack open a batch that the earliest drink date is tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2031711&id=1458490780&l=801170a42c

Wonderful, I love the slideshow. You are a credit to homebrewers everywhere. :)

OK conditioning for three weeks sampled first 7oz test bottle. This beer cleared up nicely and had a very nice spicy taste. I will give another week but this is a very good beer. :chug:

Brewed mine today for turkey day. Baked the pumpkin and added a dash of allspice and a pinch of cloves. We'll see.

Vic

I brewed my pumpkin lager on a Friday and let it ferment for almost 3 weeks. I bottled it on the Wednesday before the 3 week mark.

It's had it carbing for the past week and just put one in the fridge this afternoon for a taste, so t's been carbing just over a week.

We just went out for dinner and they had a Blue Moom Pumpkin on tap which I ordered. The server asked if I wanted the usual cinnamon on the rim so I said yes. Here's a pic.

9bf1e329.jpg

They must have had some kind of sugar/water/cinnamon mixture that dried on the rim of the glass. Not sure if you can really see it in the pic. Taking a sip with the mixture produced a very sweet, candy like drink. It was more like a dessert.

I took a few sips from the same spot in the glass so that I'd be able to taste the beer WITHOUT that mixture. It wasn't bad, but I couldn't really taste any pumpkin. Then again, the beer was VERY cold. I let it sit for a few minutes and when it warmed up a bit the pumpkin did come through a bit.

I'm interested to see how mine is when I crack it open in a few minutes and if I should try to mimic the same sugar/water/cinnamon mixture. We'll see.

OK, here's a pic of the first beer.

58734768.jpg

It tastes just like it did when I bottled it, only carbonated. It's good but I'm sure it will be much better in a few weeks.

I had this carbing for almost 3 weeks. I have now had it in the fridge for the past 2 days and just had one for lunch.

I actually wasn't too impressed with it. I actually opened a second bottle and it tasted the same. The taste was nothing like it was straight out of the fermenter (warm) or even 2 weeks ago when it was cold.

I ended up letting one glass get to be about 52 degrees and it finally began to taste like it did straight out of the fermenter.

To be perfectly honest, if this is the way it's going to taste I'm not sure if I'm going to make it next year. It's going to be cold conditioned until Thanksgiving so hopefully it gets better but I'm not all that impressed with it right now.

That was exactly how I felt about my pumpkin lager. I let it age as long as possible, but in the end, 8 bottles were dumped down the sink.

Dr. Dink wrote:

Chandler, you and me must have similar palates. Pumpkin and me just don't agree.

Count me in here. I've never cared for anything pumpkin, and the idea of pumpkin beer does not seem appealing. But to each his/her own.

I'll stick with my cherry brews. :P

We cracked one open, post daughter's wedding, this weekend and thought much the same. It actually had more pumpkin taste shortly after bottling. It wasn't a bad beer, just not the taste we were expecting. Maybe more pumpkin might help?

Bottled today. Tastes metalicy (if that's a word). Not what I expected. Could be the allspice and cloves. Will let condition 3 weeks then refrigerate for a week. I think I can wait on this one. Also bottled Honey Brown, that tasted great.

Vic

Leave out the pumpkin puree and add pumpkin spice it works great and imho puree is like adding mud to your brew and nobody wants that Good Ingredients=Good Beer !!BTW Here is my pumpkin lager Pumkin_Lager_206-20091025.jpg .

Just tried a bottle of this batch that I made in early sept. and it's pretty good, the only thing that I would change is probably cut down on the spices as they are waaaaaay to overpowering. There is also a curious unidentifiable aftertaste that I find pretty strange. But, being my second beer ever, on a scale of 1-10, I woul say I give it a 7

more beer here: That picture looks just like a drink called "Dragon's Blood".

1pt. Cranberry Juice
1pt. Cherryade
1 cup Strawberry vodka
2 oz each Orange Liquer, Lemon Juice, & Lime Juice

cm11599ps wrote:

Nice pictures. I'm glad it worked so well.

after two months from the original brew date, i just have to say..

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT!..all i can taste is spice..and the beer is kind of thick or something.. its barely drinkable..will not be brewing again with spices for awhile, due to two disappointing brews

Nope-Just straight MB Pumpkin recipe and a little "extra" on the spice.I loved this beer and I can't wait to brew this one again-Oh I omitted the pumpkin puree and added pumpkin spice instead.Used all of the spices listed in the MB recipe and nothing more.Then I used brown sugar in priming that's it.Easy peasy