Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Trumpetus

Patriot Lager - First Taste

Tried a bottle of Patriot Lager after 5 weeks conditioning and it was pretty good. Very malty, good carb and head. Still want more body to the beer. Have noticed this with my Oktoberfest batch. Will adding an extra pouch of LME help with this?

:blush:

Absolutely. The standard refills most people tend to find that while the flavor is good, they simply lack mouthfeel/body. Some may say to add up to a pound of unhopped extract. Just keep in mind that additional hops may be needed to round out the taste.

I noticed another comment suggesting adding a pouch of LME. I have the Baby Got Bock on order and saw that the recipe uses two different LME pouches. I wonder if it would be best to order an extra pouch of the LME for each batch???

I'm interested in adding hops to my brews. Is there a good source for what type of hops to add for various brews and when?

Without a doubt. It will make a good beer better. :banana:

"Darth Trumpetus" post=357212 said:

I noticed another comment suggesting adding a pouch of LME. I have the Baby Got Bock on order and saw that the recipe uses two different LME pouches. I wonder if it would be best to order an extra pouch of the LME for each batch???

I'm interested in adding hops to my brews. Is there a good source for what type of hops to add for various brews and when?

BGB uses two cans of HME and three pouches of LME and is already a high ABV. Adding more LME seems unnecessary.

I wasn't thinking to add to the BGB as I saw the ingredients. I was thinking about the other recipes such as Patriot Lager and Oktoberfest. The additional LME with BGB got me to thinking about adding some LME to some refills.

I used an LME with both of my batches of Patriot Lager and Oktoberfest and they seem to need more body. Of course, that assessment is after only 5-6 weeks of conditioning. It's funny, I forgot to add the LME to my batch of Diablo and it is really good after 6 weeks!

Thanks for the warning though - I can see that it is easy to get carried away with all of this! :woohoo:

"Darth Trumpetus" post=357212 said:

Your best source of what hops to use with the HME's is to look at the Mr. Beer recipes and see what hops they use in those.

I took Liberty hops and added those to the Patriot Lager and they worked out great. It is one of my favorite beers to date.

I didn't have any Mr. Beer LME's on hand so I went with this recipe instead. Mix in 1 pound of Briess Golden Light DME and do a hop boil of 1/2 oz of Liberty hops for 15 minutes and dry hop 1/2 oz of Liberty Hops in the LBK.

"Darth Trumpetus" post=357273 said:

I wasn't thinking to add to the BGB as I saw the ingredients. I was thinking about the other recipes such as Patriot Lager and Oktoberfest. The additional LME with BGB got me to thinking about adding some LME to some refills.

I used an LME with both of my batches of Patriot Lager and Oktoberfest and they seem to need more body. Of course, that assessment is after only 5-6 weeks of conditioning. It's funny, I forgot to add the LME to my batch of Diablo and it is really good after 6 weeks!

Thanks for the warning though - I can see that it is easy to get carried away with all of this! :woohoo:

The Diablo has more malt in it, all the Craft refills do.

Many add a pound of LME to the regular refills. You can also steep some Carafoam quite easily. I've done that to my last 4 batches, but have 4 weeks until its ready.

Go to www.screwybrewer.com and download QBrew and read how to use it. You will be able to see the impact of what you are planning to add. Keep in mind that high ABV brews have to condition longer.