Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BBomb360

mountain brew recipe

Recommended Posts

Needed: 1 can czech pilsner. 1 pack booster. 2 mr beer kegs. 2 two liter bottles of mountain dew. 1 case empty glass bottles. 1 mr beer bottling straw thing. 1 pack (1/2oz) saaz hops. Appropriate ammount of carbonating drops (the little pellet things). Appropriate basic brewing utensils. Sanitizer.

Do all your sanitizing stuff.
Boil your four cups water and add booster.
Mix in your czech pilzner mix.

Fill one keg with both two liter mt dew bottles, cold of course.
Once wort with booster is ready, add to keg w mt dew in it. Do this slow.
Use tap water to bring to full volume. Again slow due to foam.
Pitch yeast.
Let ferment one week room temp. At the week mark, add saaz hops.
Let sit another week.
Put keg in fridge 3 days.
Get bottles and other keg sanitized and pre place carbonating things in bottles to desired carbonation levels.
Using bottling straw, rack beer to secondary keg because this beer has a lot of sediment.
Using straw, bottle the beer. The bottling process is best done cold from the fridge. Make sure to use the straw to avoid aeration and oxygenation.
Let sit room temp 15 days, turning bottles occasionally to break up residual sediment.
Pop in fridge 2 days, serve and enjoy!

Strange I know but good alcohol content and a party hit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, interesting, welcome to the forum
a couple ideas;
1. stand the bottles upright, your post was unclear on this.
2. don't turn the bottles you want the trub to form and remain at the bottom. gives you clearer beer
3. you might get better yeast action in the keg if you poured the wort in more aggressively let it foam. the yeast need o2 just like we do and produce co2 as a waste product just like we do the extra co2 in the MDs might hamper the yeast. not sayin it won't work, just that it might work a little better. maybe a slightly higher ABV out of the deal.

just fyi the "bottling straw thing" is a "bottling wand"


[attachment=12460]welcomebeer_2013-04-01.gif[/attachment]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a JOKE .... right?

"BBomb360" post=357383 said:

Needed: 1 can czech pilsner. 1 pack booster. 2 mr beer kegs. 2 two liter bottles of mountain dew. 1 case empty glass bottles. 1 mr beer bottling straw thing. 1 pack (1/2oz) saaz hops. Appropriate ammount of carbonating drops (the little pellet things). Appropriate basic brewing utensils. Sanitizer.

Do all your sanitizing stuff.
Boil your four cups water and add booster.
Mix in your czech pilzner mix.

Fill one keg with both two liter mt dew bottles, cold of course.
Once wort with booster is ready, add to keg w mt dew in it. Do this slow.
Use tap water to bring to full volume. Again slow due to foam.
Pitch yeast.
Let ferment one week room temp. At the week mark, add saaz hops.
Let sit another week.
Put keg in fridge 3 days.
Get bottles and other keg sanitized and pre place carbonating things in bottles to desired carbonation levels.
Using bottling straw, rack beer to secondary keg because this beer has a lot of sediment.
Using straw, bottle the beer. The bottling process is best done cold from the fridge. Make sure to use the straw to avoid aeration and oxygenation.
Let sit room temp 15 days, turning bottles occasionally to break up residual sediment.
Pop in fridge 2 days, serve and enjoy!

Strange I know but good alcohol content and a party hit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think so. don't know why you'd need a booster with all the sugar from the MDs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a name like BBomb360... on April Fool's day... I just don't know.

EDIT: And only 1 post too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify, I stir the wort and mt dew with a metal spoon while adding yeast. Plenty of aeration for fermenting. The booster plus the mt dew sugar adds a punch! This tastes like a nice citrus beer without much original soda taste at all. And upending bottles to stir up bottle troub is a personal preference.

This is not an april fools joke. Its just beer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

What? Im new to the forum haha, not beer! No joke I swear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this has been brought up before i think brewing is brewing. brew on


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountain brew is real, it was even featured in Zymurgy.
That's one of the great things about this hobby, you can brew anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"BBomb360" post=357456 said:

To clarify, I stir the wort and mt dew with a metal spoon while adding yeast. Plenty of aeration for fermenting. The booster plus the mt dew sugar adds a punch! This tastes like a nice citrus beer without much original soda taste at all. And upending bottles to stir up bottle troub is a personal preference.

This is not an april fools joke. Its just beer!

why would you specify a metal spoon unless you knew it's a no no???

i was born at night, but not last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In any case, Welcome to the Forum! I think I'll personally pass on Mountain Brew for now. You should post some pics of a Mountain Brew pour in the "First Pour" sticky. I'm interested to see what it looks like in a glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum wont let me post pics from my phone of it but its medium dark with a white head tight foam almost like a Guinness cloudy body fruity initial taste with citrus finished by a nice bitter bite from the saaz which as you might guess goes real nice with pilzner beer. Despite the mt dew my test audience thought it was a professional beer with easy taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there are plenty of other recipes and tastes out there for everyone to enjoy, but I wouldn't waste time posting if I didn't have an enjoyable beer to offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Welcome to the forum!

Uh, I would try it if u handed me a bottle of it, but not sump'n I'll be trying. For some reason it sounds like a serious sugar over load, which makes for cider tasting... LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caffeinated too lol.. I'd try it for sure if I had been brewing when I was in college. I have also learned that the crazy experimental brews don't usually turn out as good as they sound. Still tempted to try it sometime anyway for the novelty of it.

Cold Spring brewery once made a "beer" about 10 years ago they called "Hard E" for energy. It had 5% abv, caffiene, ginseng, vitamins and crap. They called it energy beer, but it was green and tasted and looked nothing like beer. Was not a bad drink really, chicks would dig it. (no offense, I mean people that like fruity drinks and not beer.) That's what this reminds me of. Tempted to try, but.. caffiene and alcohol.. I'm not much of a partier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Gluek" post=357726 said:

Caffeinated too lol.. I'd try it for sure if I had been brewing when I was in college. I have also learned that the crazy experimental brews don't usually turn out as good as they sound. Still tempted to try it sometime anyway for the novelty of it.

Cold Spring brewery once made a "beer" about 10 years ago they called "Hard E" for energy. It had 5% abv, caffiene, ginseng, vitamins and crap. They called it energy beer, but it was green and tasted and looked nothing like beer. Was not a bad drink really, chicks would dig it. (no offense, I mean people that like fruity drinks and not beer.) That's what this reminds me of. Tempted to try, but.. caffiene and alcohol.. I'm not much of a partier.

find the recipe to hard E, post it up. worth trying an LBK size batch.

hard tea anyone?

What is hard tea? Is it the same as tea wine?
I did find this via a search.

• 1 box tea bags (100ct)
• 1 lb Light DME
• 3.5 lbs Corn Sugar
• 2 lbs Table Sugar
• 6 Lemons, cut in half
• Red Star Premier Cuvee

boil 5 gallons water + all the sugar for 15 min. Then Squeezed the lemons and put them in, added the 100 tea bags in a 5 gallon paint strainer... Steeped the tea for 5 min as per instructions and removed.

leave the lemons in there (it's cooling as I type) and haven't yet decided whether or not to leave them through primary fermentation.

copied from winemakingtalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"roadx" post=357814 said:


find the recipe to hard E, post it up. worth trying an LBK size batch.

I don't have a recipe right now but what they said was it has a beer base, with added vodka, citrus, ginseng, taurine, vitamins, a,b,c, etc.

I do know it was based off Hansen's energy drink, which has all that stuff in it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LKTQAE

So basically if you wanted to make it you could almost take the mountain brew recipe from here and sub Hansen's energy for mountain dew. I might omit the hop addition if you use an Hme, or start with a pound of dme and add some hops. And I guess add a little vodka... not sure how you'd do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...