Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
eurotexan

YEAST STARTER WITHOUT DME

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DO A YEAST STARTER WITHOUT DME? IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE HME? MILES AWAY FROM BREW SUPPLIES! THANKS FOR PREVIOUS FEEDBACK... IT HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL!

Y U YELLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Online brew stores If you have a health food store by you some malt syrup or powder may work

You can use HME but it's really expensive and will skunk if it gets close to light.

My thinking was to use a little bit of the HME as a starter... the same HME used eventually for brewing.

"eurotexan" post=357497 said:

My thinking was to use a little bit of the HME as a starter... the same HME used eventually for brewing.

A little bit won't do much. The absolute minimum starter size that makes sense (for non-stirred starters) is 2L. You will need about 4-4.5 oz of HME for each liter of starter volume, so 8-9 oz of HME per starter.

if it's all you got, it's all you got. i'd lay in a little dme from an online source asap, just easier. why a starter using liquid yeast?

I'd get some DME from an online brew supply store. No sense risking/using precious HME. Good online options are AHB, NB, MS, and of course Ebay (even though ebay can sometimes be overpriced). Google is your friend. Cheers.

Boiling the HME will just negate everything that's in it. It's pre-hopped and pre-boiled so that will serve to do is change the flavor and bittering profile of the beer. You really need some DME or LME to boil hops with.

I'm kinda thinking an extra pack of yeast, if you really need it, is cheaper than using HME for a starter.

What size batch are you doing a starter for? If 2.4 gal, you will likely be ok unless you are using expired yeast or have a OG above 1.06.