Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TJZ

Liquid yeast

Any tips for using liquid yeast? This will be afirst time for me using something other than the dry. Thanks.

Shake it good and if you can, make a starter. I've found the time fermentation begins without a starter can be twice as long as with a starter. But, your beer style and size make a huge difference.
What yeast did you get and what style of beer are you making?

I am making the MB Staggerback stout, with the american ale liquid yeast. I guess the starter instructions should be on the yeast packet, haven't looked yet, it's wrapped in bubble wrap.

"TJZ" post=357502 said:

Any tips for using liquid yeast? This will be afirst time for me using something other than the dry. Thanks.

Buy yeast so fresh you'd like to slap it, then make a starter, especially if you're pitching into more than an LBK.

How do I make a starter? The instructions on the yeast say to smack the package and shake it up good, then let it sit out at 70 deg for 3 hours before using. Is this making a starter?

"TJZ" post=357531 said:

How do I make a starter? The instructions on the yeast say to smack the package and shake it up good, then let it sit out at 70 deg for 3 hours before using. Is this making a starter?

No that's just waking the yeast up from their long naps. A starter is used to double or triple the amount of yeast cells. For 5 gallon batches the amount of yeast in a Smack Pack or a Vial is only about half of what it needs to be.

Here's a good video from Northern Brewer about making yeast starters

"TJZ" post=357508 said:

I am making the MB Staggerback stout, with the american ale liquid yeast. I guess the starter instructions should be on the yeast packet, haven't looked yet, it's wrapped in bubble wrap.

Just follow the directions... There are plenty of yeasts in the pack for a MrB fermenter-sized batch.

"Rebel_B" post=357566 said:

Just follow the directions... There are plenty of yeasts in the pack for a MrB fermenter-sized batch.

A single smack-pack (once it fully swells) or vial is usually enough for a 2-gallon batch.

A single smack-pack or vial is rarely (if ever) enough for a 5-gallon batch. You need to get a starter going a few days before brewing in order to have enough cells or buy 2-4 (which can get plenty expensive) packs, depending on the gravity of the wort.

Don't feel bad. You're not the first brewer to order liquid yeast before knowing the particulars of using it. For a new brewer, it's normally better to use dry yeast (and learn to rehydrate it properly) for a little while and get a handle on the process before jumping off into using liquid. Dry is easier and much more fool-proof. Liquid has a great many more varieties to choose from and presents some other advantages for those who understand using it.

Thanks Rebel, this is my current plan. The yeast is for a 5 gal batch, so I will not be using a starter since I should have more than enough yeast without it.

"TJZ" post=357571 said:

The yeast is for a 5 gal batch, so I will not be using a starter since I should have more than enough yeast without it.

Wait. Rebel said what he said for a 2-gallon batch.

You will not have enough cells for 5-gallons unless you make a starter. Just using the one pack will be seriously underpitching.

I brew exclusivly 5 gal batches and have never had an issue using 1 wyeast smackpack. I've let them swell 3 hours and up to 24. Did I get action in the first 12 hours.... no, but not much longer than that. I've always come to my expected FG or within a few points. While it is popular opinion that a starter is the way to go, I don't disagree, it is also not necesary to brew good beer.

if you are making a starter the smack pacs are unnecessary. The pac you break is yeast nutrient. Also be a ware that it often takes more than 3 hours for a pack to fully inflate. Some of the lager yeast can take 3 days!!

"mtsoxfan" post=357575 said:

I brew exclusivly 5 gal batches and have never had an issue using 1 wyeast smackpack. I've let them swell 3 hours and up to 24. Did I get action in the first 12 hours.... no, but not much longer than that. I've always come to my expected FG or within a few points. While it is popular opinion that a starter is the way to go, I don't disagree, it is also not necesary to brew good beer.

Same here on the 5g batches. I pretty much wait until the smackpack seems like it is going to explode and then pitch from there. But, I usually boil a MB yeast packet as a nutrient (what else am I going to do with all of them) so that probably helps as well. But, just tried my first yeast wash so until I am confident in that I will make starters for that.