Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
eurotexan

Suggestions Welcomed...Trying something new!

Recommended Posts

Suggestions welcome on how to transform organic apple juice to something nice. I have some Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast... Suggestions guys?

PS: I brew the heck out of Mr. Beer... Just want to try something new!


:chug:
[attachment=12486]image_2013-04-02-3.jpg[/attachment]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a 1st time going in this direction Jim... any suggestions on that hard cider? :blink:

This jug is 1 gallon... how much sugar? what kind of sugar? I thought maybe adding cloves & cinnamon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, i'm just gettin where i'm not studying brewing all the time so i did that post to mark this and watch for future reference. i had an uncle who made some good hard cider and wine. i'd would like to know how. there are several people on here who do make cider i've seen their posts before. i'm guessin' you'll get lots of answers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my uncle used cinnamon you could taste it, and i always thought i tasted brown sugar in his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This link shows what I did in December with just such a jug of cider. If you want to keep it simpler than that, simply drop the yeast in and put on an airlock. Easy peasy...

65126_10151294782653805_780069042_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Swenocha! Do you think 1 packet of yeast for the gallon jug i have posted here. How did yours turn out? Would you have changed anything? I have heard some people talk about adding lactose... what's up with that? Thanks Again! Cheers!

:party:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may add lactose if you don't want it too dry. Really just personal preference. I used the entire champagne yeast packet... probably could have used less, but it didn't hurt to use that much...

Thus far, I have only tasted at bottling and I found it quite pleasant at that point. I probably should dig a bottle out and put it in the fridge soon... It's been in the bottle for a month now, after being in the jug for 3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you use wine yeast, it won't be as dry as using champange yeast.
You can add about 2 cups of sugar to the one gallon to kick up the ABV
You could alway use a ballon for your air lock. just poke a small hole in the balllon to allow the co2 to escape.
let it sit for a month.
to back sweeten, add 1/4 pound lactose to the mix.
bottle, let sit for at least 3 months.
as far as optional flavors... up to you. but it's good even with out the extra flavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great man... I'm look'n forward to this one! 3 months in the jug... those yeast know how to party 4 days!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should mention that I transferred it a couple times into a different jug to get it off of the must. I'm not sure if that is necessary or not. As Dag points out, you can likely bottle at one month and then let it condition in the bottle... i just chose to let it condition in the secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Swenocha! When conditioning in the secondary i am assuming you would place an airlock on it as well... and let it go til it clears up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of this thread, I dug through the cases of conditioning bottles to get a cider bottle into the fridge. It is quite good. I am very pleased. Tart, a good apple flavor, lightly carbonated. I imagine that I'll be doing this again at some point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

"eurotexan" post=358085 said:

This is a 1st time going in this direction Jim... any suggestions on that hard cider? :blink:

This jug is 1 gallon... how much sugar? what kind of sugar? I thought maybe adding cloves & cinnamon?

Be careful when using cloves. I have tried a couple times and both times it was too overpowering. I have an orange-clove mead that is 3 yrs old. Tried one last weekend with my son. It was ok, but the cloves overpower it. I'm going to do it up again without the cloves for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

"swenocha" post=358593 said:

Because of this thread, I dug through the cases of conditioning bottles to get a cider bottle into the fridge. It is quite good. I am very pleased. Tart, a good apple flavor, lightly carbonated. I imagine that I'll be doing this again at some point...

I dug one out that was 3 yrs old last weekend and split it with my son. Man, it was good. I was not fond of it when it was green, but wow, 3 yrs have sure made it an awesome cider! It is much better than the recent ciders I have tried, but in a couple yrs, those may really mature too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...3 years... that must be some damn good stuff John! I bet you've developed patience through brewing :silly: :whistle: :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it just takes a pipeline, euro... I have so many bottles filled now that I'm sure I will have some nicely aged beers in a few years. Once you have enough bottles, it's easy to forget about some of them and let them age properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"JohnDubya" post=358605 said:

"swenocha" post=358593 said:

Because of this thread, I dug through the cases of conditioning bottles to get a cider bottle into the fridge. It is quite good. I am very pleased. Tart, a good apple flavor, lightly carbonated. I imagine that I'll be doing this again at some point...

I dug one out that was 3 yrs old last weekend and split it with my son. Man, it was good. I was not fond of it when it was green, but wow, 3 yrs have sure made it an awesome cider! It is much better than the recent ciders I have tried, but in a couple yrs, those may really mature too.

How oh how did you forget about alcohol for three years?? Don't get me wrong I'm jealous you could let it age that long. I don't yet have the power for that

:gulp:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"swenocha" post=358609 said:

it just takes a pipeline, euro... I have so many bottles filled now that I'm sure I will have some nicely aged beers in a few years. Once you have enough bottles, it's easy to forget about some of them and let them age properly.

Pipeline it is! I'm gonna go brew a batch now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

"Bingman111" post=358610 said:

"JohnDubya" post=358605 said:

"swenocha" post=358593 said:

Because of this thread, I dug through the cases of conditioning bottles to get a cider bottle into the fridge. It is quite good. I am very pleased. Tart, a good apple flavor, lightly carbonated. I imagine that I'll be doing this again at some point...

I dug one out that was 3 yrs old last weekend and split it with my son. Man, it was good. I was not fond of it when it was green, but wow, 3 yrs have sure made it an awesome cider! It is much better than the recent ciders I have tried, but in a couple yrs, those may really mature too.

How oh how did you forget about alcohol for three years?? Don't get me wrong I'm jealous you could let it age that long. I don't yet have the power for that

:gulp:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I over did the brewing when I started out. I had more than I could drink, when we moved here 2 yrs ago I had just one pick up load of brewing equip/cases of beer. I still have some in my pipeline from before my move. I have soo much wine (some from over 20 yrs) I will never be able to drink it all up, top that off with bottles of bourbon with so much dust on the labels I cann't make out what they are... LOL, I guess I got carried away at one time. Yea, my pipeline is very deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just thinking... "these guys must be making some fine wine too" LOL :laugh:


"The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars."
Benjamin Franklin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got 3 LBKs and one LCK. (Little clear keg).
I've started the habit of always having a cider in primary. Tried a couple of different easy methods. My current one that I am trying is 2 gallons apple juice in primary in the LCK. Champagne yeast. After about 3 to 4 weeks my cider will clear and ill take a hydrometer reading. If its under 1.000 it's finished. (As far as I'm concerned)

I'm going to rack the finished cider into my keg and add apple juice concentrate to back sweeten.

This is my first time back sweetening with concentrate. I have high hopes. :)

This way I always have something on tap for when my beers run out. Which happens too quickly I'm finding. Ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My usual OG is 1.040 and that is with just apple juice. After fermenting down to below 1.000 ABV is a little over 4 percent. I used to back sweeten with half a gallon to a gallon of more apple juice but that was lowering my ABV too much for my tastes. Now with the concentrate it should remain at 4%. And with back sweetening its ready to drink right away. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"JohnDubya" post=358618 said:

"Bingman111" post=358610 said:

"JohnDubya" post=358605 said:

"swenocha" post=358593 said:

Because of this thread, I dug through the cases of conditioning bottles to get a cider bottle into the fridge. It is quite good. I am very pleased. Tart, a good apple flavor, lightly carbonated. I imagine that I'll be doing this again at some point...

I dug one out that was 3 yrs old last weekend and split it with my son. Man, it was good. I was not fond of it when it was green, but wow, 3 yrs have sure made it an awesome cider! It is much better than the recent ciders I have tried, but in a couple yrs, those may really mature too.

How oh how did you forget about alcohol for three years?? Don't get me wrong I'm jealous you could let it age that long. I don't yet have the power for that

:gulp:

Well, to be perfectly honest, I over did the brewing when I started out. I had more than I could drink, when we moved here 2 yrs ago I had just one pick up load of brewing equip/cases of beer. I still have some in my pipeline from before my move. I have soo much wine (some from over 20 yrs) I will never be able to drink it all up, top that off with bottles of bourbon with so much dust on the labels I cann't make out what they are... LOL, I guess I got carried away at one time. Yea, my pipeline is very deep.

PM me if you want to send me some of this alcohol you'll "never be able drink" all of.

:cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok...my yeast arrived in the mail today...oh yeah! I was ready to get started on making this hard cider, but then I starting thinking... i have seen so many postings lately on recipeS that mention LACTOSE. Tell me guys... is LACTOSE a NECESSARY ingredient? If so, where can you buy it? I am anxious to get this baby brewing!!!

Also pitch yeast at 70 sound right on this one?
A whole package (champagne yeast) for a gallon batch sound right?

:party:
THANKS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[attachment=12562]image_2013-04-05-2.jpg[/attachment]
My LBK's welcomed 2 new friends to the party today!
Made 2 gallons of Hard Apple Cider today... Thanks for all of your encouragement on this one. I made 1 batch w/ honey, the other with brown sugar...will compare the two later. To both batches, I added cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, just a "tiny bit" of cloves, then champagne yeast. Should be around 7% for both. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much honey did you end up adding? Might try adding honey in my next cider in a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added 12 oz... comparing the two batches so far... There is seems to be more activity at this stage with the honey vs brown sugar. There having one crazy yeast party with tha' honeys!
:banana: :banana: :drinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good cider is something I've been wanting to make for a while. Haven't done one ever. I've made plenty of beer and have done some wine in the past. But I really want to brew up a cider. So I'll also be bookmarking this thread. I was hoping to do one that might be ready for fall consumption. 3 years? Holy crap Swen! That's a measure of patience for sure. :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My next adventure is going to be an Apple/Cherry wine. I have both ice juices should be interesting. I will not be adding sugar, because ice juice is much higher in sugar content. The yeast I would use is a champagne yeast

check out this forum on cider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be careful when using spices like cinnamon. Trust me when I say a little goes a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been 7 days now... Airlock activity has decreased so I decide to do a reading. Initial reading was 1.070...now it's 1.000! That champagne yeast is something else! Wow! I did not expect it to move so quickly! That being said, when should a hard cider be bottled (at what reading)? Is it different than beer? I tasted the hard cider after the reading... It was pretty dang good! I will definitely do this one again in the future!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on how clear you want it. Are you doing a still or sparkling cider? My ice apple & cherry wine won't even get bottled for a year, it has been in primary a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...